TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Northampton Away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well done both clubs for getting it rescheduled on a Saturday.
FA Cup 4th round day.
So much better for the fans who travel.
Even better if Pompey apologise for the hardy souls who traveled to Chesterfield and gave them first dibs on tickets or some other bonus.
(06-11-2023, 08:07 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]FA Cup 4th round day.

Is that correct?
2nd Round. I was brought up in the same period as Hammie and it was standard that we multiplied everything by 8 then divide it by 4. Normal Cold War practice.,
oopps
too many years of starting in the 3rd round!
make that 2nd round.
We’d better get promotion then, hadn’t we? That’ll remove the opportunity for non league upstarts to knock us out early on.

Mind, there doesn’t seem much interest in progressing in the cup. When does the cup hold any importance? Is it when we’re too shit to achieve anything else (which would make us less likely to win it on ability) or is it when we’re so shit, in the league, that we’re likely to get relegated?
'Northampton Away' ...... those two words bring back such great memories from 1980!!

Our 2-0 victory, news of Bradford's defeat at Peterborough and the post-match celebrations on the pitch were amazing. For many of us it was the first time Pompey had ever achieved anything, even though it was 'only' promotion from division 4 in 4th place by the skin of our teeth!  

Seemed an eternity before everyone knew we were definitely up. During the game there were rumours that Newport were losing when they were actually winning against Walsall (we needed them to lose or draw) and even when we were on the pitch ready to celebrate it took several minutes for the Bradford defeat to be confirmed.

Official attendance was nearly 11,000 (had been less than 2,000 at Northampton's previous home match) and plenty broke in for free - impossible to stop entry into what was a cricket ground! Went up to Northampton by coach and I can remember being confused on the M1 by hundreds of coaches coming southbound with a mix of fans wearing red and white and black and white - turned out it was the Rugby League final at Wembley involving Hull KR and Hull. Also a lot of football coaches taking Leicester fans down to Orient with the hoofers going up that day. 

Loads of tickertape that day, helped by dozens of Pompey fans climbing the floodlight pylons to release bags of the stuff.
(07-11-2023, 10:30 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]'Northampton Away' ...... those two words bring back such great memories from 1980!!

Our 2-0 victory, news of Bradford's defeat at Peterborough and the post-match celebrations on the pitch were amazing. For many of us it was the first time Pompey had ever achieved anything, even though it was 'only' promotion from division 4 in 4th place by the skin of our teeth!  

Seemed an eternity before everyone knew we were definitely up. During the game there were rumours that Newport were losing when they were actually winning against Walsall (we needed them to lose or draw) and even when we were on the pitch ready to celebrate it took several minutes for the Bradford defeat to be confirmed.

Official attendance was nearly 11,000 (had been less than 2,000 at Northampton's previous home match) and plenty broke in for free - impossible to stop entry into what was a cricket ground! Went up to Northampton by coach and I can remember being confused on the M1 by hundreds of coaches coming southbound with a mix of fans wearing red and white and black and white - turned out it was the Rugby League final at Wembley involving Hull KR and Hull. Also a lot of football coaches taking Leicester fans down to Orient with the hoofers going up that day. 

Loads of tickertape that day, helped by dozens of Pompey fans climbing the floodlight pylons to release bags of the stuff.

Great memories, PiD. That event marked the halt of our decline. It was also so special because it was the first success of any kind we'd had in a generation.
Frank Burrows appeared in the director's box momentarily and then quickly turned around exiting the way he'd come in.
On Radio Solent later he was asked if the emotion of the occasion was a little too much - 'a hint of a tear in the eye?' was the way the reporter put it.
"Nah," said the Scotsman, "it was more a hint of me remembering I'd left me wallet back in the d ressing room."
(07-11-2023, 10:55 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2023, 10:30 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]'Northampton Away' ...... those two words bring back such great memories from 1980!!

Great memories, PiD. That event marked the halt of our decline. It was also so special because it was the first success of any kind we'd had in a generation.
Frank Burrows appeared in the director's box momentarily and then quickly turned around exiting the way he'd come in.
On Radio Solent later he was asked if the emotion of the occasion was a little too much - 'a hint of a tear in the eye?' was the way the reporter put it.
"Nah," said the Scotsman, "it was more a hint of me remembering I'd left me wallet back in the d ressing room."

Yes fantastic day out that was.

It was at the old ground with only three sides backing in to the cricket ground wasn’t it?

They play at Sixfields now, never been there but it looks a bit lacking in atmosphere, especially with the unfinished stand.
(06-11-2023, 08:42 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]2nd Round. I was brought up in the same period as Hammie and it was standard that we multiplied everything by 8 then divide it by 4. Normal Cold War practice.,

Think of any number,double it,add ten,divide it by two,take away the number you first thought of and you are left with five. Same era, me.
Just tried it. You’re a mathematical genius!!!
When we were in the 2nd tier for years on end, being rubbish most of the time.
The FA and league Cup both gave us a chance of a bit of excitement and as much as anything, a different opponent. The one thing we did not ant was a draw against the same old teams that we saw year in year out.
Spurs in the league Cup, Nottm Forest ditto
They who shall not be named in front of 36,000

I shall try and forget Aldershot!