TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Pires Dive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone got a video of this? Can't find the proper vid showing the replay on YouTube.
Arsenal went unbeaten that season but that draw at Highbury we got in the ‘Pires dive’ match was a travesty. Pires should have been given a yellow card not won a penalty that ultimately gave Arsenal a point and preserved their unbeaten record
It was the most blatant bit of cheating I have ever seen. What a shame that a player with his talent had to resort to that.
I’m sure I managed to find the incident, on film, a while back but it took a while.

https://youtu.be/mv7GvRE6Ud8?si=zj6zCIInufc-zJIN

That was easier than I remember……6.30 in.
(09-11-2023, 05:46 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]It was the most blatant bit of cheating I have ever seen. What a shame that a player with his talent had to resort to that.
I’m sure I managed to find the incident, on film,  a while back but it took a while.

https://youtu.be/mv7GvRE6Ud8?si=zj6zCIInufc-zJIN

That was easier than I remember……6.30 in.

'It was the most blatant bit of cheating I have ever seen'...I ssume you mean at the time because unfortunately you now see that type of thing in just about every game from the Premier League right down to Sunday mornings at the park.
It takes a lot of skill to keep moving forward whilst hanging out your leg for that long.
Funny how Pires never played at Fratton Park after this incident.

Cheating Twat.
(09-11-2023, 08:15 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]Funny how Pires never played at Fratton Park after this incident.

Cheating Twat.

Agree with the cheating twat bit....however he did play at Fratton after this and got the reception he deserved.
(09-11-2023, 08:36 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2023, 08:15 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]Funny how Pires never played at Fratton Park after this incident.

Cheating Twat.

Agree with the cheating twat bit....however he did play at Fratton after this and got the reception he deserved.
I stand corrected. I didn't think he did.
He missed the cup and league games that season but copped it the next season.
Difficult to believe that decision, just hanging out his foot.

Reminds me of Messrs Ian Wright and BRIGHT cheating , doing similar things , kidding the ref, and awarded Pens in a game long ago ( 1990's ) ?
at Crystal Palace !
(09-11-2023, 11:13 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Difficult to believe that decision, just hanging out his foot.

Reminds me of Messrs Ian Wright and BRIGHT cheating , doing similar things , kidding the ref, and awarded Pens in a game long ago ( 1990's ) ?
at Crystal Palace !

Eden Hazard made a whole career out of it.
The worst view I ever had at an away game. I could see their shorts but not boots or heads pretty much. Although I did see Pires take off!
I watched most of the game on the screen off to our side.
I was there on that day and I’m pretty sure that Alan Wiley also allowed Henry to re-take the penalty 3 times. Apparently for encroachment. Always got the feeling he didn’t like us and couldn’t wait to give anything to the opposing team.
(09-11-2023, 06:37 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]I was there on that day and I’m pretty sure that Alan Wiley also allowed Henry to re-take the penalty 3 times. Apparently for encroachment. Always got the feeling he didn’t like us and couldn’t wait to give anything to the opposing team.

He retook it once.
Wouldn't say "allowed" him to though, more like "made" him - its not like he missed the first one.
(09-11-2023, 10:49 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]He missed the cup and league games that season but copped it the next season.

I think it was 2 or even 3 more seasons before he dared to show his face at Fratton Park. We hadn't forgotten.
(09-11-2023, 05:31 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I watched most of the game on the screen off to our side.

I doubt that. The big screen was not showing live action - or even replays.
(09-11-2023, 07:09 PM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2023, 10:49 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]He missed the cup and league games that season but copped it the next season.

I think it was 2 or even 3 more seasons before he dared to show his face at Fratton Park. We hadn't forgotten.

The stats suggest that he played against us at Fratton the following season. The Arse won 1-0 and Sol Campbell scored the goal.

Portsmouth v Arsenal, 19 December 2004 - 11v11 match report
(09-11-2023, 08:18 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]

The stats suggest that he played against us at Fratton the following season. The Arse won 1-0 and Sol Campbell scored the goal.

My memory FFS... I'm off to see my Doctor if can remember where he is.
(10-11-2023, 10:55 AM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2023, 08:18 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]

My memory FFS... I'm off to see my Doctor if can remember where he is.

I still quite haven't moved on since then either. I always shake my head in disgust whenever I hear the Arsenal "invincible" tag. Seem to remember they were quite lucky on the return game at FP that season too.
I'll never get over that. Gutted.