TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Ronan Curtis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Anyone know what he's up to after his injury? Wonder if there's room for him in the squad, seeing as Whyte isn't really delivering...
Whyte far better last time out but needs to continue in that vein. No idea about Ronan but it’s been about 7 months now so he must be on the road to recovery by now.
Whyte played well the other night.
the boss has said several time, not coming back here. Shame. I'd like to see him in a decent attacking side.
(10-11-2023, 07:57 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the boss has said several time, not coming back here. Shame. I'd like to see him in a decent attacking side.

JM has said several times he is leaving the door open for him to return, but clearly RC has told him he is not interested, presumably because he was annoyed by the derisory offer he was given.
Previous between them as players also
Ronan Curtis is not good enough to be part of a promotion chasing L1 team.
(10-11-2023, 08:44 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2023, 07:57 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the boss has said several time, not coming back here. Shame. I'd like to see him in a decent attacking side.

JM has said several times he is leaving the door open for him to return, but clearly RC has told him he is not interested, presumably because he was annoyed by the derisory offer he was given.

He hasn’t said anything, that I’ve read, to say that he is annoyed, quite the contrary. It’s also not clear that he’s not interested.

"I totally understand that this is a unique situation for both the club and myself (being out of contract and being injured). I don't expect or feel entitled to be offered a new deal; there hadn't been any previous conversations from the club to extend my stay before I was injured.
(11-11-2023, 06:40 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

He hasn’t said anything, that I’ve read, to say that he is annoyed, quite the contrary. It’s also not clear that he’s not interested.

"I totally understand that this is a unique situation for both the club and myself (being out of contract and being injured). I don't expect or feel entitled to be offered a new deal; there hadn't been any previous conversations from the club to extend my stay before I was injured.

You can read that comment two ways ... either he was being polite and accepting the club's position or (and more likely IMO) he had decided to move on before the injury and will still want to move on when fit so wasn't bothered what the club offered, if anything. 

But I'd have been annoyed if I got injured while working for my employer and they offered me a contract on less than half I had been on before the injury.  And his brother's tweet last week would indicate that his family at least were not happy.
Whyte will come good. Gets a run of games and a goal then will show why he’s been a international and a championship player
(11-11-2023, 10:23 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

You can read that comment two ways ... either he was being polite and accepting the club's position or (and more likely IMO) he had decided to move on before the injury and will still want to move on when fit so wasn't bothered what the club offered, if anything. 

But I'd have been annoyed if I got injured while working for my employer and they offered me a contract on less than half I had been on before the injury.  And his brother's tweet last week would indicate that his family at least were not happy.

That was absolutely cringe from his brother. He must have had that saved up all season waiting for us to lose. And calling him RC11 like he's a global brand and not an at best decent third tier player ??
(11-11-2023, 10:23 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I wouldn’t presume to say that RC was being anything but frank and honest. He doesn’t have to say anything other than what he actually thinks and feels. 

We’ll all have to be very careful about what we say now, in case you start spreading your opinion about what we really think, based on what you think we should feel. 

As to his brother’s remark, that’s one member of his family. It doesn’t necessarily represent the opinions of the rest of his family and certainly doesn’t represent the opinion of Ronan Curtis himself. He has expressed his view, unsolicited. I’m prepared to accept what he says. The rest of the interview supports it.
(11-11-2023, 10:23 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]But I'd have been annoyed if I got injured while working for my employer and they offered me a contract on less than half I had been on before the injury.  And his brother's tweet last week would indicate that his family at least were not happy.

He wasn't & hadn't been performing very well for his employer (PFC) for at least the last two seasons. Quite rightly PFC were going to wait until season end to see if his attitude & performance improved before offering him a new improved contract. 

The fact he got injured meant that improvement never materialised so he was offered a retainer contract based on his form prior to the injury.

p.s.He is still at the training ground, zig-zag type running & gym work at the moment. He won't be anywhere near fit until next year IMHO.
(11-11-2023, 12:07 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2023, 10:23 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]But I'd have been annoyed if I got injured while working for my employer and they offered me a contract on less than half I had been on before the injury.  And his brother's tweet last week would indicate that his family at least were not happy.

He wasn't & hadn't been performing very well for his employer (PFC) for at least the last two seasons. Quite rightly PFC were going to wait until season end to see if his attitude & performance improved before offering him a new improved contract. 

The fact he got injured meant that improvement never materialised so he was offered a retainer contract based on his form prior to the injury.

p.s.He is still at the training ground, zig-zag type running & gym work at the moment. He won't be anywhere near fit until next year IMHO.

I thought he had started playing very well again under Mousinho before he got injured.  And quite frankly his 'poorer' form under Cowley was better than we have seen so far from Whyte.  

If we were serious about wanting to keep him just extending his contract for another 6 months whilst he got fit may have done it.  But it looks to me like he had stated his intentions quite clearly that he wanted to go.

Deebo

The ideal scenario for club and player was he went when all that dough was being mooted a while back. Since then he’s been bang on average at best. As for his family I couldn’t give a toss what his brother, mother or even his Auntie Beryl thinks. My guess would be that the next game he plays will be in Tier 4. Just a hunch as it would appear his career is going backwards. Forget him and move on.
Curtis is lucky to of got any form of contact offer. Footballers are effectively contractors if you can’t work you don’t get paid and his contract is up. He’s lucky the club are letting him use their facilities
Christ, Daniel. Not much empathy on you. He's played for us for 5 years, scored about 60 goals from the wing and got injured while playing for us. He's still only 27 so must have a few more years left in him. Not surprised the club are letting him train, if only out of loyalty to our top scorer this century, and I wouldn't be that surprised if we see him in a Pompey shirt again.

Deebo

Personally I can’t see how that would work except in an emergency. A front pairing with Bishop? Not at all sure about that except maybe Ronan picking up the pieces in the area. As an out and out winger he rarely provides preferring to cut inside and shoot which would take Bishop out of the game. Bishop has proved he’s our main man and we need to put out sides that play to his strengths. Personally I think we already have the solution for that position in Sparkes with Hume at full back which gives us real serious attacking abilities down the left flank. As for empathy and loyalty they are (sadly) not football words so don’t expect them from either club or player.

Btw have a great day at FP boys. The sun is shining and fingers crossed for a win. Just wish I could be with you.
(11-11-2023, 12:57 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Christ, Daniel. Not much empathy on you. He's played for us for 5 years, scored about 60 goals from the wing and got injured while playing for us. He's still only 27 so must have a few more years left in him. Not surprised the club are letting him train, if only out of loyalty to our top scorer this century, and I wouldn't be that surprised if we see him in a Pompey shirt again.

He hasn’t had a decent season in years and been a part of failure whilst he’s been here.
You demand a lot of a winger at this level. In his first four years he played in virtually every game and scored 50 goals. Last year played less and still managed 7 despite often not playing in his best position.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-0KJ7CH...lzIGdvYWxz

Not sure any of our current wingers will get anywhere near those stats
Of those 7 goals only 2 were in League 1 - in the main his performances last year were poor. He did start to show some signs of improvement under The Moose - however it was nothing like the form in his first 3 years with us.
Disappointed a wider audience are less understanding about what happened at home which led to Ronan's drop in standards. One of the worst things that can happen
He would be so much better than Sodding gavin whyte who missed an absolute sitter today from 6 yards which cost us the win ( along with Norris ‘s inability to stop a tame effort on goal!)
Roan Curtis wasn't the only one to under perform under the Cowleys. 

He's training with us so, I suppose, anything could happen.  Animosity never lasts long when resigning players.  
 If Roan could reproduce the form he showed the first season with us, he'd be a great asset.
I'd like that, it'll be good for the club.  He's played in numerous positions for us, but probably best out wide or up front with someone.

If he needs to move on, then after a long injury, he probably won't get the wage he was asking us for before being injured.

His brother probably wants to stop reading Pompey forums.  Big Grin
Trarchus, in his second season Ronan scored 14 goals compared to 12 in his first. In fact in his third and fourth he managed 14 and 10 respectively so not sure why you say his first was his best.
Pages: 1 2 3