TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Before Mike Oldfield...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What, if any, did the team run out to before Mr Oldfield wrote his tune? My first season was 78/79 and I only remember Oldfield (apart from the Tina Turner phase).
(17-11-2023, 03:44 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]What, if any, did the team run out to before Mr Oldfield wrote his tune? My first season was 78/79 and I only remember Oldfield (apart from the Tina Turner phase).

Late 60's early 70's they ran out to theme tune of a tv program called "The Power Game".
https://youtu.be/FFrqbfiFlQQ?si=uWgMiRdWbwd1tYWY
(17-11-2023, 03:57 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-11-2023, 03:44 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]What, if any, did the team run out to before Mr Oldfield wrote his tune? My first season was 78/79 and I only remember Oldfield (apart from the Tina Turner phase).

Late 60's early 70's they ran out to theme tune of a tv program called "The Power Game".

yes remember that,all blue kit with piping , the days of albie mcann, john milkins, ray pointer, ray hiron, george ley, nicky jennings, bobby kellard  et al, from my memory I dont remember pompey changing their team very much but you can forget!
The above was before my time....however I do remember Bally insisting on "Let me entertain you" for a while during his second stint.
Wasn't it just 'Pompey are the team for me'  which Arnold Gutbucket revived in the 80s.
In the early 90's Jim Smith had them running out to Tina Turner's Simply the Best.  

Oldfiled wrote Portsmouth in 1976 but I don't think we adopted it, certainly not regularly, until the mid to late 90's.
(18-11-2023, 09:44 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]In the early 90's Jim Smith had them running out to Tina Turner's Simply the Best.  

Oldfiled wrote Portsmouth in 1976 but I don't think we adopted it, certainly not regularly, until the mid to late 90's.

Not true Deep. The moment it hit the charts late 76 we were running out to it.
I remember missing it & the team running onto the pitch to it in the cup game v either Minehead or Bideford that year because I was having a slash. The one & only time I've ever missed the team running out.
(18-11-2023, 09:57 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-11-2023, 09:44 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]In the early 90's Jim Smith had them running out to Tina Turner's Simply the Best.  

I remember missing it & the team running onto the pitch to it in the cup game v either Minehead or Bideford that year because I was having a slash. The one & only time I've ever missed the team running out.

I remember it being played occasionally, but not an every week fixture like it is now.
(18-11-2023, 07:14 AM)mike hunt Wrote: [ -> ]

yes remember that,all blue kit with piping , the days of albie mcann, john milkins, ray pointer, ray hiron, george ley, nicky jennings, bobby kellard  et al, from my memory I dont remember pompey changing their team very much but you can forget!

Wasn't that under manager Georg Smith who only had a bare minimum of players ie 16?
(18-11-2023, 11:00 AM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-11-2023, 07:14 AM)mike hunt Wrote: [ -> ]

Wasn't that under manager Georg Smith who only had a bare minimum of players ie 16?

Indeed, George Smith ran without a reserve team throughout the late sixties and I think the fewest players he used in a season was 18. Hard to imagine these days with so many subs and suspensions and proper treatment for injuries. 

It worked well for team spriit and togetherness (and saving money ) but not so well at producing a team capable of challenging for promotion. That only happened in one season, which was then scuppered by injury.
(18-11-2023, 09:57 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Should have tried the ladies, BB. Can sometimes get through there quicker.