TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: RIP El Tel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Terry Venables, once of this parish, has died.
RIP EL Tel. A character
One of the great characters. Shame non football related matters cut short his time as England manager. Met him in a hotel bar one time and he happily chatted me for 20 minutes about Pompey and Gazza. RIP
RIP Tel
Just watching Sky talking about his football career and no mention about his time as chairman of Pompey.
RIP Terry - a proper football man.
RIP indeed. A proper football man. Got ripped off when he bought us for a quid but we owe him for the Fratton End . And the best England team since 66.
Just reminiscing about those times it's a miracle we survived and only a few years later were a premier league club.
RIP Tel.
Generally credited with the tactics that brought us a 3-2 win at Elland Road in the FA Cup. Though Fenwick was nominally in charge it was Venables' idea to play our strikers out wide which completely outwitted George Graham - who was sacked soon after.
(26-11-2023, 03:45 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Generally credited with the tactics that brought us a 3-2 win at Elland Road in the FA Cup. Though Fenwick was nominally in charge it was Venables' idea to play our strikers out wide which completely outwitted George Graham - who was sacked soon after.

Absolutely. One of my best and most unexpectedly good away days. At a very good Leeds side too.
(26-11-2023, 03:45 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Generally credited with the tactics that brought us a 3-2 win at Elland Road in the FA Cup. Though Fenwick was nominally in charge it was Venables' idea to play our strikers out wide which completely outwitted George Graham - who was sacked soon after.

correct
But he did get it wrong against Chelsea
Much more important was a new Fratton End, a roof on the North terrace. Both of which led to us attracting Mandy.
(26-11-2023, 04:30 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]a roof on the North terrace

Please explain.

Leeds 2 v 3 Pompey Sky Sports Coverage - YouTube
(26-11-2023, 05:02 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]

Please explain.
Was it Venables that extended outwards the north stand roof,im not sure tbh.
(26-11-2023, 05:09 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Please explain.

Yes, he extended the roof of the North Stand when three rows of seats were put in at the front as the beginning of going all seated in the North Stand. 

Mind you, he did not extend it far enough as anyone who sat in those seats over the years can vouch - if it rained you got wet unlesss the wind was blowing from North to South.
I'm such a sad oldie that I've still got buried away somewhere an EP from the mid 60s of him with the Spurs team singing Xmas carols.RIP Tel....
He, also, brought us the delightful Eddie Ashby.
(26-11-2023, 05:28 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-11-2023, 05:09 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Please explain.

Yes, he extended the roof of the North Stand when three rows of seats were put in at the front as the beginning of going all seated in the North Stand. 

Mind you, he did not extend it far enough as anyone who sat in those seats over the years can vouch - if it rained you got wet unlesss the wind was blowing from North to South.
I never thought there would be a roof on the north terrace. At a stroke, combined with the new Fratton End, we got our atmosphere back.
Not bad for 11 months in and out
Best quote ever on EL Tel when he took over was by Alan Hanson on MOTD. They mentioned we won our first game under him, AH's retort was "they must be worth at least a fiver now"!
My first memory of Venables was from my second-ever Pompey match, home to Chelsea in September 1962. We lost, of course, 2-0, both goals from Tambling (had to look that up). Shame that his time at Pompey didn't work out more positively.
Did he use his own money to build the Fratton End/put the roof on the north stand?

It was a tenure which saw the players unpaid, with the PFA having to step in.

Reportedly got around £250,000 for his 51% share. Not bad for his £1 investment and 11 months work(?)!!! Certain players got slammed for trying to hold out for Pompey to honour their contracts, after our demise in the PL.

I won’t be regarding his time at Fratton Park with any affection.

Seemed to be a good manager though.
(26-11-2023, 01:41 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Just watching Sky talking about his football career and no mention about his time as chairman of Pompey.

Nothing on the BBC website either.
Pages: 1 2