TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 45 points from only 20 games played
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not even officially halfway through the season yet.

Can we continue to average over 2 points a game for the remainder of the season?

What is most impressive is that we keep getting results and we've always been missing several key starters from the team. We regularly find a way to get results. The management and players deserve huge credit.

We need a big January window though, to help cover for injuries, suspensions and international duty. It's a big window for the club. Our physicality and pressing will cause us more injuries as the season progresses so we need cover and real quality. The club have an amazing opportunity in January to really help get us out of this league.

From 26 games, we probably need 45 more points for automatic promotion. So not quite 2 points a game. Seems achievable even with a bit of a drop off in form. I don't see 2 other teams getting to 90 points. 

If we have a decent Christmas period, we could end the year above 50 points fairly comfortably and then need fewer than 40 points for the remainder of the season for promotion.

From this position, playoffs would be very dissapointing. To finish outside the top 6 would be unforgiveable.

I cannot say with confidence whether we will finish top 2 until the January window has closed but our points accumulation from 20 games certainly gives us hope.

Will the board back Mous in January?

Let's hope so.
(12-12-2023, 11:18 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Not even officially halfway through the season yet.

Can we continue to average over 2 points a game for the remainder of the season?

What is most impressive is that we keep getting results and we've always been missing several key starters from the team. We regularly find a way to get results. The management and players deserve huge credit.

We need a big January window though, to help cover for injuries, suspensions and international duty. It's a big window for the club. Our physicality and pressing will cause us more injuries as the season progresses so we need cover and real quality. The club have an amazing opportunity in January to really help get us out of this league.

From 26 games, we probably need 45 more points for automatic promotion. So not quite 2 points a game. Seems achievable even with a bit of a drop off in form. I don't see 2 other teams getting to 90 points. 

If we have a decent Christmas period, we could end the year above 50 points fairly comfortably and then need fewer than 40 points for the remainder of the season for promotion.

From this position, playoffs would be very dissapointing. To finish outside the top 6 would be unforgiveable.

I cannot say with confidence whether we will finish top 2 until the January window has closed but our points accumulation from 20 games certainly gives us hope.

Will the board back Mous in January?

Let's hope so.

Your post seems full of contradictions.
I'll be honest I've thought all season that we've been in a false position, but the reaction since the Blackpool game has been outstanding. Full credit to the players, mousinho and his staff. This is the weakest this league has been since we were promoted  and I can't see two teams finishing above us
If only Ash/Carlin were here to give us their opinion
(12-12-2023, 01:37 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]If only Ash/Carlin were here to give us their opinion

He is more preoccupied with Burnley at the moment
How many points did Plymouth have last season after 20 games?
(12-12-2023, 01:57 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]How many points did Plymouth have last season after 20 games?

We have just beaten the 'best' team in the league with arguably our best two players ( Poole & Bishop) out. In addition to that, we are building momentum at the moment. I can only see us getting stronger as the season goes on. 

We are solid at the back and a creative & physical threat going forwards. Just the manner of how we play makes me think things are really starting to click. Before, when we were top with Kenny, I remember being nervous that the run would end. This time round I'm just excited to see how good we can get. We are going to start destroying teams if they keep this up.
As regards Kennny's team, he did not have or use the same standard of squad players.
This 20 or more players all look to be good enough to cover for each other.
Assuming Hume goes out, that is one to bring in.
After seeing Yengi give one of the best defenders in the league a real going over, I'm not sure we should bring in more than one or two. Presumably a loan centre half.
Midfield is full.
The wings are good enough with Scully returning and Whyte looking a different player last night.
Ogilvie to come back so left back is covered.
I'm expecting to see more good youngsters come in to disappear for a while and then emerge first team ready (Being old, that is just what Liverpool used to do)
Thanks for the opinions.

I think we need another quality striker, a centre half or two to partner Shaughnessy and one as back up. I think we need 3 or 4 players.
Why?

‘What is most impressive is that we keep getting results and we've always been missing several key starters from the team. We regularly find a way to get results.‘

If you believe what you say, why do we need 3 or 4 players?
Two at best I'd say....and that may depend on Hume moving on.
We are well-stocked in midfield and mainly need another striker and maybe a centre-half. Even here, I would back Towler as very good cover for Raggers and Shaughnessy.
A CB and maybe a striker IF Yengi goes to the Asia Cup. Unless Ogilvie isn't going to be back soon we'd also need cover for Sparkes.
I don't think JM will go for a left winger any more especially if Whyte is hitting form and Scully is almost back from injury. I think Martin ( unless he's on small wages) and Hume will be for the offski.
Ricky dusted off one of Neil Ferguson’s old Covid spreadsheet models and it says we will end up on 103.5 points with a 100% probability
(13-12-2023, 04:52 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]A CB and maybe a striker IF Yengi goes to the Asia Cup. Unless Ogilvie isn't going to be back soon we'd also need cover for Sparkes.
I don't think JM will go for a left winger any more especially if Whyte is hitting form and Scully is almost back from injury. I think Martin ( unless he's on small wages) and Hume will be for the offski.

If Martin gets paid commensurate with his ability, he’s gonna starve.
Big ask in January I know, but would like to see:

1. Another proven striker in case Yengi is away and Bishop has any further injuries. Always felt 4 strikers should be the minimum.

2. Quality centre back as we are 1 down now for rest of season

3. Although any goalkeeping injuries can be covered by an emergency loan, still think Matt Macey would be a great addition in a battle for the number 1 spot, if the right deal can be done.

This window is massive. So far we’ve continued to preform really well despite injuries and suspensions thanks to the fantastic job done in the summer. Let's hope the recruitment team continue to do us proud.
(13-12-2023, 06:19 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Big ask in January I know, but would like to see:

1. Another proven striker in case Yengi is away and Bishop has any further injuries. Always felt 4 strikers should be the minimum.

2. Quality centre back as we are 1 down now for rest of season

3. Although any goalkeeping injuries can be covered by an emergency loan, still think Matt Macey would be a great addition in a battle for the number 1 spot, if the right deal can be done.

This window is massive. So far we’ve continued to preform really well despite injuries and suspensions thanks to the fantastic job done in the summer. Let's hope the recruitment team continue to do us proud.

Yes, I agree that a GK would be a good idea. Looks like the only position we don't have excellent backup for.
Bit unfair on Martin, Cunni. He’s only played about two half games and is only 22. Don’t think he looked too bad especially as he would be ring rusty.
Unfair, maybe, DS. However, those two stats you quote speak volumes.

I actually thought he looked woefully slow once he got anywhere near the box.

To me it seems like an obvious shortage was recognised and they grabbed the most convenient person at hand. It was a very lazy choice. A bit like yer missus buggering off and you ending up in bed with her ugly best mate.

Martin might have some sort of promise in the future but he certainly isn’t ready now and now is what we need.
not a bad signing for a couple of months and the option to extend. Not much to lose and at least he had been training with us so knew the set up and we knew him too.
But he’s performed so poorly, Hammie!

To use your criteria for a choice of temporary signing…

Martin or Curtis?
(14-12-2023, 04:41 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]But he’s performed so poorly, Hammie!

To use your criteria for a choice of temporary signing…

Martin or Curtis?

I'd choice Curtis, but he would not choose us so it's a purely hypothetical question.  

Martin was just squad cover for injuries. If Scully & Lowery are fit (and Anjorin soon ?) then there is no way he will be kept beyond January.
Would have been an interesting conversation, wouldn’t it?

Here, Ronan, you know the team, you’re already here. A month on proper wages, a chance to put yourself in the window, an opportunity to play in front of a Fratton crowd again, after that who knows….
(14-12-2023, 11:25 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Would have been an interesting conversation, wouldn’t it?

Here, Ronan, you know the team, you’re already here. A month on proper wages, a chance to put yourself in the window, an opportunity to play in front of a Fratton crowd  again, after that who knows….

I'd punt a tenner on him going to stevenage
I'd go for Oxford.
Pages: 1 2