TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Yengi on his way....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(18-01-2024, 05:49 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 05:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 04:49 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 04:36 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 03:44 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Can't or won't?

Shouldn't. 

Bishop is streets ahead of Yengi for all his promise. Bishop is the finished article, Yengi just a prospect. 

One good game against Bolton doesn't change that (and who's to say Bishop wouldn't have played just as well in that game anyway the way the team played ?). 

Mousinho tried leaving Yengi in when Bishop was fit and he played his worst game for us by far and was correctly substituted. 

IMO this theory that 'dropping' Yengi was somehow the cause of our woes is a load of bollocks.  The reasons lie elsewhere.

‘Finished article’.

Really?

Yes. He is 27 and has scored 33 goals for us in 70 games.  A drop in form like all strikers have does nothing to change the fact that he is one of the best centre forwards in our division.  

Yengi might be at his level in two or three years time.

I would guess that at least 10 of those 33 have been penalties -/so less than 1 in 3 .......Hmmmmm.

As I said Yengi has raw pace - which will take him to a higher grade than Bishop within 24 months.

I've never quite understood why people criticise Bishop for being such a good penalty taker.   But one in three would still be a good return for a 'lead the line' type centre forward who does a lot more than just score goals.
(18-01-2024, 06:59 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 05:49 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 05:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 04:49 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 04:36 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't. 

Bishop is streets ahead of Yengi for all his promise. Bishop is the finished article, Yengi just a prospect. 

One good game against Bolton doesn't change that (and who's to say Bishop wouldn't have played just as well in that game anyway the way the team played ?). 

Mousinho tried leaving Yengi in when Bishop was fit and he played his worst game for us by far and was correctly substituted. 

IMO this theory that 'dropping' Yengi was somehow the cause of our woes is a load of bollocks.  The reasons lie elsewhere.

‘Finished article’.

Really?

Yes. He is 27 and has scored 33 goals for us in 70 games.  A drop in form like all strikers have does nothing to change the fact that he is one of the best centre forwards in our division.  

Yengi might be at his level in two or three years time.

I would guess that at least 10 of those 33 have been penalties -/so less than 1 in 3 .......Hmmmmm.

As I said Yengi has raw pace - which will take him to a higher grade than Bishop within 24 months.

I've never quite understood why people criticise Bishop for being such a good penalty taker.   But one in three would still be a good return for a 'lead the line' type centre forward who does a lot more than just score goals.

Well if he’s the finished article I’m a Chinaman  Big Grin .

As for the leading of the line bit, I’m not convinced. He doesn’t hold the ball up particularly well and gets bullied by big centre halves. I think he would he better with a strike partner.
(18-01-2024, 04:36 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 03:44 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Can't or won't?

Shouldn't. 

So 100% right every word. This love in by some over Yengi is laughable. He is along way to being good enough for league 1 and at 25 I would be amazed he ever will to be honest.
He's the finished article in that he is already a top third tier striker, maybe good enough for the second tier. There are obviously higher levels he could have finished at.   At 27 he is not likely to improve much more. 

Whereas Yengi is yet to prove he is good enough for a career in English football. The signs look good though.
Bishop does a pretty good job considering we often abandon him to battle the centre halfs. If we only got one or tow players close enough for knock downs and lay offs, we could complain if he does not play them in.
Maybe we could ask one defensive midfielder to cut off the runs at our back line.
Actually it is surprising how little criticism has headed the direction of Pack and Morrell given how easily Orient ran through their part o the pitch on Saturday.
I think one of them with absolute responsibility to stop up that leak would be more successful. We increasingly look like a team that leaves players isolated all over the pitch, not just Bish.
That’s a good point about the midfield against Orient, Hammie.
(18-01-2024, 09:16 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]That’s a good point about the midfield against Orient, Hammie.

Just at school level, I very quickly learned the importance of setting a team up with a defensive mid who enjoyed stopping the other team. But that was their job, stop the other team, pass it to the wingers. Kept it simple.
Maybe we are over complicating the job of players all over the pitch from expecting lower league centre halfs to play like the Kaiser.
(18-01-2024, 07:41 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He's the finished article in that he is already a top third tier striker, maybe good enough for the second tier. There are obviously higher levels he could have finished at.   At 27 he is not likely to improve much more. 

Whereas Yengi is yet to prove he is good enough for a career in English football. The signs look good though.

Bishop is rubbish
(19-01-2024, 08:39 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 07:41 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He's the finished article in that he is already a top third tier striker, maybe good enough for the second tier. There are obviously higher levels he could have finished at.   At 27 he is not likely to improve much more. 

Bishop is rubbish

No more beer for you WAPF  Big Grin
(18-01-2024, 06:25 PM)TiHKAL Wrote: [ -> ]Didn’t score against the mighty Syria today though.

What do you expect he  only had 7 mins on the pitch as a subsitute  !!!!
It only takes a second to score a goal. That’s 420 chances he missed.
(18-01-2024, 03:03 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 02:35 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]Australia through to last 16 in Asia Cup - Kusini Yengi plays 7 mins of Syria match ffs !!

That's good that he has got on the pitch - he is very much second string amongst their forwards so mainly there for the experience.  If he can pick up a few more sub appearances it will be good for his confidence.

Australia's forward line is pants.  They can't hit a barn door. I have watched the matches here in Queensand and the quality of the football is really awful.
Yengi couldnt do any worse on the pitch, experienced or not.
(19-01-2024, 08:39 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]

Bishop is rubbish

Not exactly, but certainly well below Championship quality. Not that the Championship will concern us, with the present level of play, and inability to score goals other than the odd penalty.
Until he plays in the championship we will never know if he can hack it there, but I don't see why not. All we do know is that a Championship side (Blackpool) were actively trying to sign him when we got him, and another (Blackburn) have been interested, so they must think he has a chance of doing OK there.
As a fan base we have been very bad at judging strikers since we hit rock bottom. Judging on how they do after the get fed up with abuse here and move elsewhere.
Yengi on bench as Socceroos thrashed Indonesia 4-0 to go on to meet Head Choppers or South Korea in last 8 on Friday.
(28-01-2024, 03:42 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]Yengi on bench as Socceroos thrashed Indonesia 4-0 to go on to meet Head Choppers or South Korea in last 8 on Friday.

The Koreans mostly play for teams in Europes top leagues whilst the Aussies don’t. They have players who have contracts with sides like Paris St Germain, Bayern Munich, Stuttgart, Mainz and obviously Spurs whilst the Aussie team all play for less illustrious teams so just on that I’m going to assume our Yengi will be back ‘home’ soon. Looking forward to seeing him back in a blue shirt anyway (this is assuming South Korea beat the Saudi’s who all play in their own country so it’s hard to get a gauge on how good they are)
Looks like he’ll be swapping Qatar for Carlisle in a couple of weeks. Talk about polar opposite cultures.
South Korea 2 Australia 1
Did Yengi score?
(02-02-2024, 06:18 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Did Yengi score?

He didn’t even get on the pitch
Does that tell us something about how Yengi is viewed by other people too?
It tells me the Aussie manager threw away a lead and all the subs he did make were completely ineffective
I’m over it.

Northampton. Wonder when Yengi will get on the bench again?
Will replace Saydee/Martin presumably
Pages: 1 2 3