TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: How nice to be owned by Footballers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Watching the game yesterday and the cameras picking out Scholes, The Nevilles, Butt, Giggs, Keane etc ( but where was Beckham ? Or did I miss him?), I thought how lucky the Salford fans are. Like them or loath them as individuals, the Salford owners played the game at very high level and are clearly able to bring their collective knowledge to the Salford set up.

They were quick to fire Alexander despite being 5th in the table, they apparently wanted ‘more attacking and exciting football’ and were determined to get it and they seem to have picked up some decent players without a big spend budget.

I thought Salford were streets ahead of Pompey yesterday despite being without their leading goal scorer, their players being paid less than Pompey and the Salford squad having cost a lot less to assemble than Pompey’s (£ 2.5 million alone on Marquis, Harness and Harrison FFS).

Perhaps Sol and all the others who did so well financially in our Premiership years, might buy Eisner out (and I bet he would be a willing seller at the mo) and bring back exciting football to Fratton Park

Only joking of course, ain’t gonna happen.....but I do think Eisner is beginning to wonder whether he made the right decision when he bought Pompey, maybe he is reflecting on Harry Truman’s phrase “if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”. 

Clearly he is very upset at the vitriol being dished out by the Pompey fans, rueing his failure to do proper due diligence on the ground and bleeding money instead of making it. 

Could there yet be another twist in the Pompey tale ? This smacks of the Martin Gregory period.
Interesting assessment. I had forgotten the Martin Gregory era... they were exciting times as well!
Well, he should look after his investment and sack who needs to be sacked. We’re seriously punching below our weight and have gradually got worse since the heady days of the Div 2 championship. I wonder why that is
Beckham was not part of the buyout (just Butt, Scholes, Giggs and the Nevilles). He did buy in later though, but now owns Inter Miami.
And I don't see how you can accuse the Eisners of failing to do due diligence in the ground when they came in being told publicly that it would take 5m to keep open in the next few years (which was the only reason it was for sale) and they put 10m in the pot for that very purpose ?
Probably too many square pegs in round holes and, if he is going to be an absentee landlord, Eisner needs a really good ‘agent’ with clear lines of responsibility and the commensurate authority.

Whether Catlin is that agent in terms of management ability and management skills I don’t know but it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t have a football brain.

If he has shortcomings in the business area that’s pretty terminal but in the football area he can easily make up for his own shortcoming by assembling a Football non- executive board  ie people who have played the game at a decent level, still have contacts in the game, have the experience of being in management and, maybe, sometimes failing (nothing wrong with that as you learn more in failure than you do in success, the trick is not to repeat the same mistakes twice).

An extra cost of course, but a modest one compared to the expensive lessons Pompey are learning right now, allegedly Einstein said that Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again....and expecting things to get better.

I have been on both sides of the fence, as a CEO with a non-executive board ‘assisting’ me by questioning my plans and decisions on behalf of the shareholders and as a non- exec asking the often obvious questions the CEO has neglected to ask himself (and extreme stress leads to bad decision making).

Can’t help but feel that Catlin is so busy putting out today’s fires that he doesn’t realise that he and those around him are, inadvertently, lighting tomorrow’s fires: endless firefighting gets you nowhere (unless your a fireman of course !)
Just need Catlin to go now Jackett's gone.
(14-03-2021, 11:34 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Probably too many square pegs in round holes and, if he is going to be an absentee landlord, Eisner needs a really good ‘agent’ with clear lines of responsibility and the commensurate authority.

Surely Tornante are that agent. 

As Catlin said recently he talks to Redman far more often than any of the Eisners.
Why should Catlin go?
(14-03-2021, 11:38 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Just need Catlin to go now Jackett's gone.

Catlin is the best thing about the club, we need to keep him above everyone else. 

The football on the pitch is not his responsibility and he should not interfere with it in any way.
(14-03-2021, 11:52 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-03-2021, 11:38 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Just need Catlin to go now Jackett's gone.

Catlin is the best thing about the club, we need to keep him above everyone else. 

The football on the pitch is not his responsibility and he should not interfere with it in any way.

Why is Catlin the best thing about the club? What do you think he does or has done that make him the person we need to keep above everyone else?
Deep - with regard to Due Diligence

Catlin confirmed that DD wasn’t done in his meeting with a Pompey fan ( Cowplain ?), Eisner just did a H&SE Review.

Exterminator put 3 pages of notes up on this board, suggest you have a look.
Catkins administrative skill set is nothing remarkable and can be easily replaced.
Caitlin's willingness to communicate with the fans is certainly unique in my time watching Pompey. Previous execs were notorious only for their complete lack of communication and ability to run the club into the ground financially.
Why is Catlin the best thing about the club? What do you think he does or has done that make him the person we need to keep above everyone else?

I'd say he has run the finances of the club brilliantly since taking over, after the shitstorm that went before him we have made steady and prudent progress in all areas off the pitch.

We have won awards for being the best Community club in the country.

He communicates with the fans better than any other CEO at any club that I know of, almost welcoming any questions and answering them honestly.

He led the lower league campaign against premier league U21 teams joining lge 2 (successfully) and the EFL trophy (unsuccessfully), but then led the boycott against it.

He led the lower leagues campaign against the salary cap.

He is highly thought of throughout the game, and IMO is likely to end up as Chairman of the EFL. We as fans abuse him at our peril, if he went the chances of getting his like again are remote.
(14-03-2021, 12:25 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Deep - with regard to Due Diligence

Catlin confirmed that DD wasn’t done in his meeting with a Pompey fan ( Cowplain ?), Eisner just did a H&SE Review.

Exterminator put 3 pages of notes up on this board, suggest you have a look.

Wightblue. 

I have indeed read that thread, and obviously more carefully than you did.  Catlin said nothing about due diligence in it, that was Exterminator's interpretation and opinion.
(14-03-2021, 11:34 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]I have been on both sides of the fence, as a CEO with a non-executive board ‘assisting’ me.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I agree with Deeps assessment of Catlin, the best CEO we’ve had for decades
Deep absolutely spot on.
Talking of being owned by footballers
El Tel was the only only owner we had who understood just what was needed and did it
ie built a new Fratton End and put a roof on the North stand. Yes the club only cost him £1 but the building work immediately got the fans back and ultimately led to the arrival of Milan.
oh and he also masterminded a great day out at Leeds!
(14-03-2021, 01:59 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Why is Catlin the best thing about the club? What do you think he does or has done that make him the person we need to keep above everyone else?

I'd say he has run the finances of the club brilliantly since taking over, after the shitstorm that went before him we have made steady and prudent progress in all areas off the pitch.

We have won awards for being the best Community club in the country.

He communicates with the fans better than any other CEO at any club that I know of, almost welcoming any questions and answering them honestly.

He led the lower league campaign against  premier league U21 teams joining lge 2 (successfully) and the EFL trophy (unsuccessfully), but then led the boycott against it.

He led the lower leagues campaign against the salary cap.

He is highly thought of throughout the game, and IMO is likely to end up as Chairman of the EFL. We as fans abuse him at our peril, if he went the chances of getting his like again are remote.

Deep, I agree totally.

Well said mush.
Blimey, if Savs and Gaffer agree with me I must have got something right for once.