TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Who do we want?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Stendel hasn’t much of a track record. A little purple patch with Barnsley and that’s it.
(14-03-2021, 08:16 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Stendel  hasn’t much of a track record. A little purple patch with Barnsley and that’s it.

Doesn't tell the whole story Cunninglinguist. Totally his win % is 45.3% which is decent (50% @ Hanover), Barnsley the owners flogged all his best players after promotion. Hearts were a mess before he went there. Good football, enjoys the passion side of the game. Gets my vote.
Jumpers for goalposts
(14-03-2021, 08:02 PM)oi oi saveloy Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-03-2021, 06:39 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]One year before sacked at Hanover. 18 months sacked Barnsley and one year and left  Hearts with win % of 29%. I had never heard of him before but these aren’t fantastic stats. People seem to think it would be a good appointment... do his teams play good football? I know Barnsley went up from this league with him. Anyone got more than stats about him because numbers are never the whole story.

All this  win percentage stuff is boIIocks really isn’t it I mean jackett has a great win % but his football is so fvckin tedious you can count on one hand (or in dsmg’s case both hands and feet) the amount of good games you saw under him in the boredom of the years he’s been here but then you’ve got someone like Bobby Campbell’s team when we went up to the old 2nd division his win percentage that season couldn’t have been good but it was bIoody exciting stuff every game you knew there’d be goals you just didn’t know at which end.

I’ll be happy with anyone who plays positive attacking football I don’t expect us to be world beaters in the 3rd division I’d just like to see attacking football for the first time in 4 years. I’m so fvckin happy that he’s finally gone.
Bobby Campbell’s still one of my favourite Pompey managers and always will be,loved the football under him. RIP
I certainly can’t disagree with what you say and as for Campbell well what a team that was. Biley Hateley Dillon Doyle Webb if I remember correctly? That lot would walk this league and probably the championship these days. I think I was just concerned about his record of 3 clubs and lasting about a year each time but I’m sure circumstances had a say in that.
(14-03-2021, 08:14 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]This guy will do fine as long as it  is pints of brown split instead of tequila  :- https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/...ns-sacked/

Oh yea I like this bloke.
The team and the style with which they played under Bobby Campbell to get us out of this division was a joy to watch. This current crop are not fit to lace their boots.
(14-03-2021, 09:34 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]The team and the style with which they played under Bobby Campbell to get us out of this division was a joy to watch. This current crop are not fit to lace their boots.

You got that right sister that season was superb some great away trips culminating with the Plymouth game oh what fun.

What I meant in that post was the season in the second under Campbell after we won the 3rd division title (yet another trophy) didn’t we end up 15th or 16th?but the entertainment was second to none.

I’m so happy with jackett going I’m actually posting on here at the weekend I’m so fvckin happy.
I was fortunate that my first full season (selling season programs) was Campbell's promotion team. The following season was frustrating as our defenders were to slow for the higher division and we continually threw away leads. He probably deserved time to put it right, but as his sacking bought in Alan Ball who bought a great team with the Hateley money I was very spoilt for my first 5 years of following Pompey!
Just to see a team that properly attacks the Fratton End in the second half and a manager who shows some passion win or lose would do me for a bit.
I get the feeling that kind of exciting go for broke footy has largely gone. Managers and clubs are so friggin scared nowadays they play safe and bore the pants off us all. I’d love to see some 4-3 games (either way) between now and the end of the season though..
Sounds like knee jerk reaction to me. Sck one and hope there is a good one available?
Pretty daft way to run a business.

The plan should be identify the man you want.
Agree terms and date available.
Sack old manager and announce new guy next day.
Muschi, you're surely not saying we should've stuck with Jackett until we find the right guy? He had to go, I'm sure anyone of the backroom staff could pick the team temporarily. I get what you mean about the club should've had someone in mind, I think they have a few,however i dont think anyone wants apart-time job until the end of the season and are holding out for a longer contract eg Stendel
(14-03-2021, 08:02 PM)oi oi saveloy Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-03-2021, 06:39 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]One year before sacked at Hanover. 18 months sacked Barnsley and one year and left  Hearts with win % of 29%. I had never heard of him before but these aren’t fantastic stats. People seem to think it would be a good appointment... do his teams play good football? I know Barnsley went up from this league with him. Anyone got more than stats about him because numbers are never the whole story.

All this  win percentage stuff is boIIocks really isn’t it I mean jackett has a great win % but his football is so fvckin tedious you can count on one hand (or in dsmg’s case both hands and feet) the amount of good games you saw under him in the boredom of the years he’s been here but then you’ve got someone like Bobby Campbell’s team when we went up to the old 2nd division his win percentage that season couldn’t have been good but it was bIoody exciting stuff every game you knew there’d be goals you just didn’t know at which end.

I’ll be happy with anyone who plays positive attacking football I don’t expect us to be world beaters in the 3rd division I’d just like to see attacking football for the first time in 4 years. I’m so fvckin happy that he’s finally gone.
Bobby Campbell’s still one of my favourite Pompey managers and always will be,loved the football under him. RIP

Agree 100%. Loved that team and Bobby's attacking style of football. Far cry from the shit we've been served for the last 4 years.
Taken in the round and given the alternatives being mentioned who are likely to be affordable to Pompey it has to be Stendel. If we can get him. From what you hear and read about him he will certainly be the sort of coach to deliver the shake up now badly needed at the Park. Here’s hoping.
(14-03-2021, 11:58 PM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like knee jerk reaction to me. Sck one and hope there is a good one available?
Pretty daft way to run a business.

The plan should be identify the man you want.
Agree terms and date available.
Sack old manager and announce new guy next day.

I don't think for one minute that Catlin thought at the final whistle on Saturday that Jackett was crap and had to go. This has surely been in his mind for a quite a while. He's no fool, I would suppose that quite a few names have been mentioned over the past few weeks between him and the owners. My guess is that the decision was made after Northampton, Sunderland game was confirmation, and Wembley was his swansong, and I don't think it will too long before either a temp or permanent name is announced.
It’s a sad fact that whoever we get will have been sacked from his previous job because he failed.

As long as the football is good, I don’t really care.
"Northampton, Sunderland game was confirmation, and Wembley was his swansong"

It does seem as though it was a case of "give him his final at Wembley, and then lets move on".
(14-03-2021, 10:36 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]I get the feeling that kind of exciting go for broke footy has largely gone.  Managers and clubs are so friggin scared nowadays they play safe and bore the pants off us all. I’d love to see some 4-3 games (either way) between now and the end of the season though..

I'm sure that's right. it's all about keeping the ball. knocking it sideways to try to create some space, drawing opposition out. Even Biley would have struggled playing on his own up front in modern football.
Forever
Hanover Games 34  W17     D8    L 8    GD +5.  Win% 50%

Barnsley Games 66  W 31  D18  L17  GD +29  Win% 47%

Hearts.  Games 17. W.  5. D5    L 7    GD  -3.  Win% 29%

Hearts were bottom of the Scottish Premiership when the season was suspended due to Covid. Stendel offered to work for nothing to help Hearts out (that should appeal to the Eisners).

I couldn’t agree more about this Win %age, utter bollocks, so often used by the Jackett lovers to promote their man but more often to prop him up (what ever happened to the Jackett lovers ?).

Sorry about the tabs, looked alright in draft, but not so good in Preview.
(15-03-2021, 12:42 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Forever
Hanover Games 34  W17     D8    L 8    GD +5.  Win% 50%

Barnsley Games 66  W 31  D18  L17  GD +29  Win% 47%

Hearts.  Games 17. W.  5. D5    L 7    GD  -3.  Win% 29%

Hearts were bottom of the Scottish Premiership when the season was suspended due to Covid. Stendel offered to work for nothing to help Hearts out (that should appeal to the Eisners).

I couldn’t agree more about this Win %age, utter bollocks, so often used by the Jackett lovers to promote their man but more often to prop him up (what ever happened to the Jackett lovers ?).

Sorry about the tabs, looked alright in draft, but not so good in Preview.

Minor point, and doesn't make any real difference, just an observation; there is something up with the Hanover stats. 1 game out somewhere?
Frattoniser

Oops ! I’ll go back on Wiki and correct
Frattoniser - corrected !

Games 34 Won 17 Drew 9 Lost 8 Goals F 59  Goals A 44 GD +15

Not too shabby though I don’t know the standard in that league
Pompey have Matty Taylor on the list
Pages: 1 2