TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Norris
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(14-01-2024, 04:11 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]My verdict on Norris yesterday was that he could have done more for the first by spreading himself at the player's feet, but it wasn't a goal you could blame him for  (Morrell mostly at fault for not tracking back when the scorer ran past him, and Sparkes could have shown more awareness of where the player was). 

Second goal was entirely Norris' fault, No cross should pass that close to the goal without the keeper coming out to claim it. Instead he stood on his line and watched the ball cross the line again - something he has a few times recently. 

Third goal he could do nothing about - Bishop allowed his man to get a clear header and should take the blame, although sometimes you just have to give credit to the forward for a very good header. 

Norris has been OK at worst this season, and sometimes very good and has some credit in the bank, but I suspect Macey will replace him at some point and probably keep the job when he does if he plays as well as he did last season.
Second goal, really? Where exactly should he have positioned himself?
I meant third goal
(14-01-2024, 10:33 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I meant third goal

He wasn't at fault for any of the goals yesterday.

No way is he getting to that ball from the cross nor saving that header.
(14-01-2024, 10:33 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I meant third goal

That was a quick change of mind. You said third goal, ‘he could do nothing about’. 

Which goal was he at fault for????

In my view, the only one he had a chance for was the first but it’s one on one and strikers advantage (unless you’re Kamara, of course)
My second/third goal debate with Slayer was about Bishop being at fault, not Norris.

I stand by my opinion that Norris was at fault for the second goal. A goalkeeper should not just stand on his line and let a cross within 3 yards of him go across the goal, and if he does he certainly should not stand and watch the ball being put in at the far post without making any move towards maybe saving it.  I'm talking as an ex-goalkeeper here and I would not be happy if I had done that at Sunday league level.  IMO it is his worst bit of goalkeeping all season so far. 

You may be willing to let him off but I very much doubt either he himself, or the goalkeeping coaches, will be doing so when they analyse the game.
Sorry Deep. The two near post goals he let in a few weeks ago were worse!
(15-01-2024, 11:08 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]My second/third goal debate with Slayer was about Bishop being at fault, not Norris.

I stand by my opinion that Norris was at fault for the second goal. A goalkeeper should not just stand on his line and let a cross within 3 yards of him go across the goal, and if he does he certainly should not stand and watch the ball being put in at the far post without making any move towards maybe saving it.  I'm talking as an ex-goalkeeper here and I would not be happy if I had done that at Sunday league level.  IMO it is his worst bit of goalkeeping all season so far. 

You may be willing to let him off but I very much doubt either he himself, or the goalkeeping coaches, will be doing so when they analyse the game.

Bloody hell you must have been good then. A ball deflected away from him, off Bishops back, with Beckles, Rafferty and Raggett between him and the ball, which was then hidden by a tight group of 5 players? 

You’re ‘avin’ a chuckle, my son!
(15-01-2024, 11:08 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]My second/third goal debate with Slayer was about Bishop being at fault, not Norris.

I agree Deep, Norris’ main asset seems to be his distribution. He does a very passable impression of a statue quite often imo.
Top of the league keeper. Amazing.
(15-01-2024, 11:46 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Top of the league keeper. Amazing.

Well he won’t be for much longer will he?
And it won’t be his fault either, will it? He’s done his job up until now, about time the players up front did their share!!

Kamara, four one on ones.
Bishop, 1 missed pen and how many free headers?

The rest of them, not even bloody close!!!

Let’s blame it on the keeper.
(15-01-2024, 11:39 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Bloody hell you must have been good then. A ball deflected away from him, off Bishops back, with Beckles, Rafferty and Raggett between him and the ball, which was then hidden by a tight group of 5 players? 

He had no opposition player within yards of of him yet he never even attempted to leave his line so no I'm not "havin'  a chuckle", I'm saying that was bad goalkeeping.  He was a spectator for every aspect of that goal.
And when he did race out, it very nearly was a fourth
Macey will give him stiff opposition which he needs as Schofield wasn't a threat.

Will do him good to sit out a couple of games & let Macey have a chance.
(15-01-2024, 03:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

He had no opposition player within yards of of him yet he never even attempted to leave his line so no I'm not "havin'  a chuckle", I'm saying that was bad goalkeeping.  He was a spectator for every aspect of that goal.

There have been a few games where Norris has been culpable this year but it's a bit harsh to blame Saturday on him. He's never going to get close to that first corner even if Bishop and the other Pompey player (Lane?) don't get in each others way in attempting to clear the danger.
I think it was Sparkes and he was being fouled
(15-01-2024, 07:17 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was Sparkes and he was being fouled

Yes it was Sparkes for the 1st goal justwatched the Lowlights.
I think a few of you have blue tinted glasses on in regards to Norris.

There has been several times we have conceded very poor goals Norris should have saved.... A lot coming from balls into the box that he should have claimed.... The Chesterfield goal he flapped at.

He watched Thompson goal, go in. 

Fleetwood goal.... Corner he fails to claim.

Done at the near post Charlton  and dived over the second!.

We stop conceding, then we give ourselves half a chance..... Macey looked great last season, in those terms, and he commands his box far better from crosses.

Every time the opposition gets a corner, I feel like they are going to score.
Give Macey a go
at least now we know that we have a genuine pair of keepers, previously we felt that if Norris was out we were knackered.
(15-01-2024, 03:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

No Beckles practically sitting on his lap then when the corner was being taken? No acknowledgement that Rafferty had to practically carry Beckles off out of the way?
Time to give Norris a bit of credit. His performances of late have been first class.

Since we signed Macey, he has really stepped up to the mark.
(15-01-2024, 12:09 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-01-2024, 11:46 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Top of the league keeper. Amazing.

A month on.

How’s it going, Gaff?
(12-02-2024, 07:08 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-01-2024, 12:09 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

A month on.

How’s it going, Gaff?

I don't think he will mind being wrong on this one!. Smile
He made a couple of very good saves today but I hate the way he faffs about with the ball and then has to rush his clearance. Also, what is this fashion of sitting down for non-existent treatment every game? It's embarrassing ffs
Pages: 1 2 3