TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Steve Evans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just had my opinion of him totally changed. Watch the little lad’s Pompey in’it video on YouTube (they’re generally very entertaining with some great interviews). Evans comes over as a really nice bloke and has good words for Pompey. He knows he’s winding opposition fans up, just trying to get an advantage for his team and what he’s achieved at Stevenage is little short of a miracle.
Same....watched his interview on the Stevenage channel and he's scathing of the ref "I'm not saying he's corrupt, he's just not very good".

From the Warnock school of management..
I saw his interview after the game, all he did was winge about the ref and go on about the "penalty" and how they deserved to win. How many saves did Norris make? How many one on ones did Kamara have? Then ball hit Shocks on hand when it was practically by his side.

Fat moaning twat!
Think he was upset at not getting awarded a penalty.
From what I've seen, the ball was whacked at Conor Shaughnessy and hit around the hand/arm area.
There wasn't time for him to move his arm towards or away from the ball, so the correct decision was given. 
I've no doubt some saw it differently and a penalty might have been given another time.  

Agree Evans has done well and deserved credit.
"I’m not questioning his integrity, I’m just saying he’s rubbish." A great quote from Evans about the referee Big Grin
Jordan Cross has tried to do his best to get us chomping at the bit about his comments regarding the dominance in the second half and poor refereeing. But much further down from the 'rant' headline Evans gives credit to both sets of fans for a 'brilliant' atmosphere.
"They (us) really backed their team (Memo to Colby!). It's a wonderful club who really shouldn't be in League One."
He later describes Pompey fans as 'dead honest'. 
So he's no Joey Barton.
We were dead honest to Thompson when he was sent off. Unanimously so!
Weve seen you before.....
His brother was always a slightly better player I thought.
As much as Evans can be a bit of a cooont (albeit funny with it) I do agree that Pack should've walked (thankfully he didn't) and the penalty shout was legit. If both of those incidents had been against us ,the majority would be screaming blue murder.
Being honest,it was a game of two halves, we played some lovely stuff in the first half and Evans made a few tactical changes and we mostly defended ( panic defending - heading anywhere, surprised the ball didn't come down with snow on it) the second half. A good old fashioned game of lower league football. Well done both sides. PUP.
It's characters like Evans who make the game, not ones who stand on the touchline with arms folded, yep he's a marmite type of geezer, but there is never a dull moment when hes around.
No problem with Evans at all. Makes perfect sense.

If he ever managed Pompey, I wouldn’t be unhappy.
(03-01-2024, 08:15 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]No problem with Evans at all. Makes perfect sense.

If he ever managed Pompey, I wouldn’t be unhappy.

I agree, he’s a proper football man.

I watched his interview and agreed with pretty much everything he said.

The referee was rubbish and I thought Pack was very lucky to stay on the pitch.
I prefer to judge a manager by the football his team plays rather than by what he says or how funny or entertaining he is. 

And Evans' teams play horrible football that I would not want to watch every week.
Agreed Deep, but surely you'll recognise he has some 'talent' if he manages to get a minnow like Stevenage into the Championship.
(03-01-2024, 09:33 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed Deep, but surely you'll recognise he has some 'talent' if he manages to get a minnow like Stevenage into the Championship.

Indeed, he does very well at getting results, just not in a way I would want to watch every week
(03-01-2024, 09:26 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer to judge a manager by the football his team plays rather than by what he says or how funny or entertaining he is. 

And Evans' teams play horrible football that I would not want to watch every week.

They didn’t play horrible football on Monday. They poured ball after ball into our box and pinned us to the wall. I love it when we do that to other teams. They’ve got some very good players too.
I think if he's your manager you love him - if he isn't then he's not especially likeable.

Typically brusque alpha male northerner.

Is a decent manager mind you.
(03-01-2024, 10:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2024, 09:26 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer to judge a manager by the football his team plays rather than by what he says or how funny or entertaining he is. 

They didn’t play horrible football on Monday. They poured ball after ball into our box and pinned us to the wall. I love it when we do that to other teams. They’ve got some very good players too.

I thought it was pretty horrible to watch. They used the windy conditions well by launching it in @ every opportunity. Good tactics but awful to watch imho.
He's obviously a good manager, taking Stevenage from perennial strugglers in Lg2 to promotion and challenging in Lg1.
I like him he's old school, a rough and ready overweight gobby jock who calls a spade a c**t. Probably why he won't get a top job in this polished world we live where nobody can say or do or even think anything controversial.
I think anyone who sets up to draw is an awful parasite of a manager who robs a living at the arse end of the football pyramid, kills most games of football that they touch, knowing they they will succeed at more than half the time and getting away with it because of the small statute of their victim.

Their tactic was to stop the game flowing by committing 19 fouls picking up 6 yellows and one red, take 110 secs to take one free kick (I timed one after despairing at how long the previous one had taken) to waste time when not losing,  target Morrell and Pack to try and get one them them sent off, dive to get free-kicks anywhere in our half and then launch the free kicks long in the hope of getting a knock-down.  Horrible football, and horrible to watch and totally unecessary because they have got good players who are not out of place in the play-off zone.  

His achievement is the players he has managed  to persuade to the join such a small club. More so than what he is doing with them.
(03-01-2024, 03:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Their tactic was to stop the game flowing by committing 19 fouls picking up 6 yellows and one red, take 110 secs to take one free kick (I timed one after despairing at how long the previous one had taken) to waste time when not losing,  target Morrell and Pack to try and get one them them sent off, dive to get free-kicks anywhere in our half and then launch the free kicks long in the hope of getting a knock-down.  Horrible football, and horrible to watch and totally unecessary because they have got good players who are not out of place in the play-off zone.  

His achievement is the players he has managed  to persuade to the join such a small club. More so than what he is doing with them.
Quite right Deep, it was like a mixture of Cotterball & Jackettball.
(03-01-2024, 03:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I do love an argument.

20 fouls, apparently. Which was 6 less than us. Pack should have had a red for his fouls.
As to time wasting…..Norris, anyone?
Targeting players to get them sent off…..ahem, Morrell, isn’t that what he is so good at?
Free kicks, to get the ball into the box? I don’t particularly remember that happening, apart from Thompsons usual antics (oh how we laughed when he did that for us).

They certainly didn’t come for a draw. We were pummelled into near submission by an attacking team in the second half. If it had ended as a draw, I wouldn’t have complained.
Have to agree with a lot of that Cunni.
Pages: 1 2