TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Goals scored
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are 6 clubs in this division that have scored more goals than we have. We have 41 goals in 25 games. When Yengi started after Bishop got injured we scored 8 goals in 3 matches (and conceded zero). When he gets back from Qatar he in my opinion should go straight back into the side because it’s important we pick our best team so we actually go up this year. If Bishop starts kicking arse well that’s a different story but if he isn’t doing that well in my opinion Yengi should start when he returns from international duty
We’ve had a thread on this already, Oz. Generally mixed opinions. Bish has a pretty thankless task, all on his own with virtually no help from refs. He has a pretty impressive goals per game record for us (as does Yengi) albeit with a lot of penalties. I think Mou will stick with him and use Yengi as supersub.
Or play them both maybe.
(05-01-2024, 01:32 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]There are 6 clubs in this division that have scored more goals than we have. We have 41 goals in 25 games. When Yengi started after Bishop got injured we scored 8 goals in 3 matches (and conceded zero). When he gets back from Qatar he in my opinion should go straight back into the side because it’s important we pick our best team so we actually go up this year. If Bishop starts kicking arse well that’s a different story but if he isn’t doing that well in my opinion Yengi should start when he returns from international duty

I'd love to see your reasoning that we would not have scored 8 goals in those three games with Bishop in the team. Given the couple of chances Yengi missed I would say there is every chance we would have scored more. 

And Bishop played in one of those three games anyway, replacing an ineffective Yengi at Shrewsbury in the 3-0 win and one of the goals was scored after Yengi was replaced. 

Bishop only missed two whole games, and yes in one of them Yengi deputised very well against Bolton (after a poor opening 20 mins), but that does not suddenly make him a better choice for the lone striker role that Bishop has played so well for a season and a half scoring more goals than any striker we have had for a long time. 

Yengi is very promising, we are lucky to have him, but at the moment Bishop is streets ahead of him in every aspect of the role. IMO dropping Bishop would be an act of complete and utter madness.
Either way, surely we will recruit another striker this month? Maybe someone with pace?
(05-01-2024, 10:52 AM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]Either way, surely we will recruit another striker this month? Maybe someone with pace?

He has said he is happy with his striking options. Bishop, Yangi & Saydee all bring different attributes to the table you don't need more than three players for one position.  And Yengi has pace. As has Kamara and Lane and Whyte.  

If he lets Martin go then it's possible we might get another winger on loan, but I can't see any urgency in getting another striker.  Also, signing any players in January when you dont know what division you will be in next season can be a dangerous move.
Don’t think Lane is very quick, Deep. Has a knack of being in the right place at the right time (hence he scores goals) and can put in a decent cross but speed is not one of his assets.
Interesting. My take would be that currently we only have Bishop. Saydee is very much an unproven striker with no league goals this season and is not deemed capable of playing 90 mins. Yengi misses another 6 games. Seems to me if Bishop was injured we would be royally stuffed for a few weeks. Having said that I entirely trust JM to know best!
We won't get promoted with Bishop  saydee and yengi.

We need another striker of quality.
(05-01-2024, 11:38 AM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting. My take would be that currently we only have Bishop. Saydee is very much an unproven striker with no league goals this season and is not deemed capable of playing 90 mins. Yengi misses another 6 games. Seems to me if Bishop was injured we would be royally stuffed for a few weeks. Having said that I entirely trust JM to know best!

If Bishop got injured while Yengi is away we could get a loan in during January, but you don't make a signing you don't need until you need to.  I agree Saydee would not be a long term option.
(05-01-2024, 12:01 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]We won't get promoted with Bishop  saydee and yengi.

Obviously not - it's clear we could never be top of the table with those three, especially if two of them missed several matches through injury. 

But that's what we have done, and if you can do it you can keep doing it.
(05-01-2024, 12:01 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]We won't get promoted with Bishop  saydee and yengi.

Obviously not - it's clear we could never be top of the table with those three, especially if two of them missed several matches through injury. 

(05-01-2024, 12:19 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Bishop is the best goalscorer at the club by far.

Let's say he gets injured for the season, there is no way you could rely on yengi and saydee. We'd plummet down the league.

If pfc went and got jonson Clarke Harris or someone quality and played him with bishop, we would be a real force up top.

A few quality signings and we could go up, the club need to go for it now and spend money.
(05-01-2024, 01:32 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]There are 6 clubs in this division that have scored more goals than we have. We have 41 goals in 25 games. When Yengi started after Bishop got injured we scored 8 goals in 3 matches (and conceded zero). When he gets back from Qatar he in my opinion should go straight back into the side because it’s important we pick our best team so we actually go up this year. If Bishop starts kicking arse well that’s a different story but if he isn’t doing that well in my opinion Yengi should start when he returns from international duty

I'd be very surprised if Yengi gets on the pitch for Australia at the Asian Nations tournament. He's gone there as a back-up squad player for the future and the only chance he has of playing would be if Australia qualify as group winners with a match still to play. It just means Yengi is unlikely to be match fit when he returns to Pompey. so won't be ready to play 90 minutes for us.
(05-01-2024, 12:55 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Let's say he gets injured for the season, there is no way you could rely on yengi and saydee. We'd plummet down the league.

If pfc went and got jonson Clarke Harris or someone quality and played him with bishop, we would be a real force up top.

A few quality signings and we could go up, the club need to go for it now and spend money.

But it's only a week since you said Bishop only scores penalties, can't hold the ball up and we should play Yengi !!!  Now you are saying we would plummet down the league if we did. 

Make your mind up. 

And it looks like Jonson Clarke-Harris might be heading for League Two with Wrexham or Gillingham.
FAF admin, just spotted it
(05-01-2024, 12:55 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

If Bishop or Saydee get injured whilst Yengi is away ..play Robbo as a false 9.Works for city ..

Hampton

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
last season there was a stat that showed the % of chances converted and Bishop was by miles, the best finisher in the league. Just have too set up more chances and he will put them away. That is down to the two wingers, whoever they are, dead ball from such as Sparkes.
Our big weakness as regards goal scoring, seems to be from free kicks around the box, other teams are quite happy to take a yellow and give us a free kick as we never score direct or from the ball into the box. Far too often, moderate players think they are Ronaldo and try and curl it around the wall, how often does it actually go in?
And scoring from a long throw was a notable surprise!