TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Final Third
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well another disappointing result and once again we fail to brake down a struggling side despite having most of the possession. It obvious we are still not good enough in the final third for automatic promotion and it’s been a problem for some time now. Fed up with hearing it. 

I do worry that Mousinho says he’s happy with our strike force. With Yengi away for what could be 6 weeks we have 1.5 strikers for that period. Although he hasn’t exactly been prolific, if Bishop gets injured again we will be desperately short. I just don’t understand the logic.

If you look at Bolton, Derby, Peterborough, Barnsley, Oxford etc. they all have an abundance of proven strikers with pace. 
If we fail to recruit a proven goal scorer at this level, with pace, in this window, I fear we will be also fans again and will be lucky to stay in the playoffs positions. 

Just wait and see how Bolton destroy Cheltenham next week. I’ll give for 5-1.

Rumour has it that Charlton are willing to pay 800K for Johnson Clarke-Harris. Agreed, that’s a lot of money at this level, but he is definitely the kind of signing to help get us over the line. Why is it that we don’t appear to be interested in a player that clearly has all the attributes. Makes it laughable that we paid £1M for Marquis.

Let’s hope we have some better news over the next couple of weeks and have hopefully learned from past failures just how crucial the January window is to promotion.

Play up Pompey!
We're probably not interested because 800k for a 29 year old lge 1 player who is attracting more interest from lge 2 than lge 1 teams and who will be free in a few months time is plain stupid and we are not that desperate

Also you have to ask why a club like Peterborough, in the same promotion race as we are, are so keen to get rid.
Probably because they always seem to beat us to the best lower league signings and as a result have an abundance of pace up front. Certainly in the past they have recruited well, always seem to get the deals done.
(06-01-2024, 05:43 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Well another disappointing result and once again we fail to brake down a struggling side despite having most of the possession. It obvious we are still not good enough in the final third for automatic promotion and it’s been a problem for some time now. Fed up with hearing it. 

I do worry that Mousinho says he’s happy with our strike force. With Yengi away for what could be 6 weeks we have 1.5 strikers for that period. Although he hasn’t exactly been prolific, if Bishop gets injured again we will be desperately short. I just don’t understand the logic.

If you look at Bolton, Derby, Peterborough, Barnsley, Oxford etc. they all have an abundance of proven strikers with pace. 
If we fail to recruit a proven goal scorer at this level, with pace, in this window, I fear we will be also fans again and will be lucky to stay in the playoffs positions. 

Rumour has it that Charlton are willing to pay 800K for Johnson Clarke-Harris. Agreed, that’s a lot of money at this level, but he is definitely the kind of signing to help get us over the line. Why is it that we don’t appear to be interested in a player that clearly has all the attributes. Makes it laughable that we paid £1M for Marquis.

Let’s hope we have some better news over the next couple of weeks and have hopefully learned from past failures just how crucial the January window is to promotion.

Play up Pompey!
Well Mousinho can hardly say he’s not happy with our strikers without causing unrest in the squad and alerting every other club that we’ve got dosh and are in the market for goalscorer with a proven record.

More likely that we putting feelers out there with more of a softly softly approach.
We do seem to require an awful lot of opportunities to set up a nailed on chance.
Last game was actually unusual as we put in an attacking player on goal three times. He missed them but at least was put in.
I'm not sure if having Bishop coming short/wide is a good idea. It does not really seem his game, he is an old fashioned goal hanger who works hard, needs someone to knock the ball too and ideally someone who can then give him a return ball into the box.
(06-01-2024, 05:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]We're probably not interested because 800k for a 29 year old lge 1 player who is attracting more interest from lge 2 than lge 1 teams and who will be free in a few months time is plain stupid and we are not that desperate

Also you have to ask why a club like Peterborough, in the same promotion race as we are, are so keen to get rid.

Because he's out of contract & wants better terms which it appears Charlton are willing to pay.
(07-01-2024, 04:09 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2024, 05:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]We're probably not interested because 800k for a 29 year old lge 1 player who is attracting more interest from lge 2 than lge 1 teams and who will be free in a few months time is plain stupid and we are not that desperate

Because he's out of contract & wants better terms which it appears Charlton are willing to pay.

That explains why he wants to leave, but not why Peterborough have made no attempts to keep him.  If he is seen by ur fans as a sure-fire ticket to promotion, why don't Peterborough feel the same ? 

It may just be that they are short of money and know he will be worthless after his next contract but that is also a very good reason not to sign him. 

But will he get better money at Wrexham or Gillingham ?  Maybe at Charlton, but not a lot more.
(06-01-2024, 05:43 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Well another disappointing result and once again we fail to brake down a struggling side despite having most of the possession. It obvious we are still not good enough in the final third for automatic promotion and it’s been a problem for some time now. Fed up with hearing it. 

Play up Pompey!

But they aren’t a struggling side anymore. They’ve only lost 3 of their last 10, same as us.