TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cheltenham - our Crewe moment?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(07-01-2024, 07:59 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Lost 0-1 at Fratton, players booed off the pitch, Cook fuming, dressing room fights (Burgess-Doyle). promotion written-off.
How did that season turn out again?

You might be right but don't forget that a large number of fans, including myself, believe that our tactical approach changed at that pont because effectively the players ran the show not Cook
Cognitive dissonance 101 for me. Don't believe that for a second. There is no way there would have been a mutiny without Cook having a very public meltdown
(08-01-2024, 10:39 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Cognitive dissonance 101 for me. Don't believe that for a second. There is no way there would have been a mutiny without Cook having a very public meltdown

Especially as Cook talked openly about a change of approach being needed after that game. 

An urban myth if ever there was one.
Yeah, where did it originate.
(08-01-2024, 10:42 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-01-2024, 10:39 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Cognitive dissonance 101 for me. Don't believe that for a second. There is no way there would have been a mutiny without Cook having a very public meltdown

Especially as Cook talked openly about a change of approach being needed after that game. 

An urban myth if ever there was one.

Spot on Deep. If the players had had that much sway they'd have been picking the team as well. Load of old bollox.
(07-01-2024, 11:07 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2024, 07:59 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Lost 0-1 at Fratton, players booed off the pitch, Cook fuming, dressing room fights (Burgess-Doyle). promotion written-off.
How did that season turn out again?

You might be right but don't forget that a large number of fans, including myself, believe that our tactical approach changed at that pont because effectively the players ran the show not Cook

Time for Pack, with his experienced, head to step up. Just getting rid of the tippy-tappy, defensive stuff should be enough.
Pack stepped up the moment he returned to the side. If only some of the others would follow his example.
I'd like to see us:

1. Stop passing to Norris when we are recycling possession. Get the ball forward more quickly.
2. Stop our center backs dribbling over the half way line. Doing that turns a center back into a midfielder and means one of the two holding midfielders having to drop back and cover. Poole can play as a midfielder but not our current pair.
3. If we adopt 1 and 2 then we don't need to play with two holding midfielders. We just need Morrell. We can move Pack forward as an 8 or 10.
4. By keeping the center halves back we can use the fullbacks more to overlap and get in crosses.
(07-01-2024, 09:11 AM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]The next 6 games need a big points return,4 wins and 2 draws looks a minimum.
Anything less I feel will be the end of the chase for one of the top 2 places.
The last 5 games have been abysmal, something needs to change.

This looks fucked already
Last time this happened we won four in a row?

Need the same again and we need Bolton to wobble too.

Totally self inflicted. Rookie error. If it isn't broken don't fuck with it!
(13-01-2024, 05:15 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Last time this happened we won four in a row?

Need the same again and we need Bolton to wobble too.

Totally self inflicted. Rookie error. If it isn't broken don't fuck with it!

We need to actually be able to score a goal to win a football match never mind win four on the bounce. There aren’t any goals in this side at the moment
Well, I guess today answers that question!
Rookie manager needs to look at the players he actually has and set the team up to use their strengths, not those of the injured lot.
4 wingers and a tiny but talented midfielder on the bench. Left us with few options.
(13-01-2024, 06:06 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Rookie manager needs to look at the players he actually has and set the team up to use their strengths, not those of the injured lot.
4 wingers and a tiny but talented midfielder on the bench. Left us with few options.

4 wingers who are very average at best
Now we have added Martin to that. What is the point of signing him? He is at best mediocre.
It might sound silly given our injury list, but we really would have benefitted from having a reserve/B team or at the very least being busier organising friendlies for a mix of academy players, fringe players and players returning from injuries to get them sharper.

Scully desperately needs game time. If there is a decent player on Josh Martin (I have my doubts) then it would be found with some match sharpness. Gavin Whyte could have played some games for the stiffs to try and find something. Ben Stevenson is rotting away and Towler too. Plus with Sparkes looking ropey and tired at the moment, we've got Denver Hume on the books whether we want him or not, he could be being utilised to gove Sparkes some time out of the firing line if he'd played more than about 2 and a half hours football this season.
Sparkes was warming up for half hour or more right in front of us and being ignored. Is he fit or not?
(14-01-2024, 12:40 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Sparkes was warming up for half hour or more right in front of us and being ignored. Is he fit or not?

Sparkes? Do you mean Scully?
I think the answer to the OP is - clearly not
We played well at Chelters and got nothing but yesterday we played badly - and got nothing
Pages: 1 2