TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Defending near post corners.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And long throws to the near post for that matter. It seems to be panic stations every time we concede one. Some serious work needed in training  I think because we know exactly what Fleetwood are going to do next week.
Perhaps need to take Bishop off that duty and give it to Pack or Shockers
(14-01-2024, 12:24 PM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]And long throws to the near post for that matter. It seems to be panic stations every time we concede one. Some serious work needed in training  I think because we know exactly what Fleetwood are going to do next week.

Play Macey so that the defence know they have a keeper who will come and claim crosses and dominate his area.
How about the LB covering the left hand post. Radical I know.
Never mind defending corners, how about taking them so that we at least clear the first man?
Yes please to all the above. Hadn't realised what a pathetic effort Bishop made for their 3rd goal.
And their second

But it’s all Norris’ fault
Norris was not at fault for any of the goals yesterday.
Oh yes he was.
(14-01-2024, 02:14 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes he was.

Please explain?

Unless I've been fished here?

First goal made himself big, nothing he could do. Shit defending.

Second goal was piss poor defending. Too many players in his way, no way could he claim that.

Third goal it was headed in the top corner of the net from the near post, again terrible defending.

I'm not his biggest fan but he did nothing wrong yesterday.
Don’t mess with the fisherman.
Pantomime defending!
Don’t feed the fisherman
Ogilvie being back would make a very big difference defensively. Sparkes has got better defensively. But as per yesterday when his crossing was ineffective (as was Rafferty's) he is not worth a place as a full back.
Ogilvie also adds an element of calm to the defensive unit.
As a team yesterday we were a lot smaller than them. There was an old saying a good team of bigguns will always beat a good team of littl'uns. Especially on set pieces.
Can’t recall if it was happening over the earlier part of the season but Bishop has been having a nightmare over the past 2-3 mths when tasked with defending set pieces. He’s often mismatched to one of the bigger attackers or late to the ball. Don’t know if it’s a communication thing or inexperience in being asked to do the job. Someone else needs to be involved in the mix, though we maybe suffer here with having 2 or 3 vertically challenged players.
(14-01-2024, 12:24 PM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]And long throws to the near post for that matter. It seems to be panic stations every time we concede one. Some serious work needed in training  I think because we know exactly what Fleetwood are going to do next week.

On the subject of the near post, we pose no threat on it when we are attacking.

Bearing in mind that we seem to have trouble clearing the first defender, you’d have thought we would deploy someone to the near post as a matter of course.
Shockers scored a fantastic near post header a few games back
At the end of the day, Bishop is not fantastic in the air. I'd back Raggie or Shocker to beat him in the air if he was defending against ether of them.
Seeing as we had a knack of scoring near-post headers earlier on this season…against a dearth of goals from set pieces for years (or maybe it just felt that way)…surprised that we don’t defend them too.