TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 70+?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That’s poetic, Deebs.
68 going on 17, suffered all my life with the Pompey roller coaster ride, but still firmly in my seat and going forward. Known to throw my toys out occasionally, but a good few beers and all is calm again.
Thanks for this post Foxley....at this time of doom and gloom, it (and the subsequent replies) have given me a good old chuckle.

I'm not going to divulge my tender years, suffice to say that I remember my older Brother taking me to FP to watch Pompey take on the mighty Gunners in the FA Cup, and him lifting me up in the air when Mike Trebilcock equalised with just a few minutes left!
(16-01-2024, 09:01 AM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this post Foxley....at this time of doom and gloom, it (and the subsequent replies) have given me a good old chuckle.

I'm not going to divulge my tender years, suffice to say that I remember my older Brother taking me to FP to watch Pompey take on the mighty Gunners in the FA Cup, and him lifting me up in the air when Mike Trebilcock equalised with just a few minutes left!

Great day, crowd of almost 40,000 at the Park.

I was 17 then, those were the days my friend  Big Grin .
As old - or young, as you feel.

Pompey's form isn't helping too much presently !
(16-01-2024, 09:08 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-01-2024, 09:01 AM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this post Foxley....at this time of doom and gloom, it (and the subsequent replies) have given me a good old chuckle.

I was there too,11 at the time

I think I have this correct?

It was an evening match against Birmingham  40,000 I believe, or it felt like it.  brilliant atmosphere.
when I think Ray Poiter broke his leg, that's when they lost their way A tad.
please correct me if I'm wrong.  Rolleyes
(16-01-2024, 03:02 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]

It was an evening match against Birmingham?

we only won 3 out of 12 after that, total collapse
(15-01-2024, 03:24 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-01-2024, 03:03 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Is this an ageist thread  Big Grin .

Could be.
Just wanna know who has dementia here  Tongue

For the record, I'm 75 and looking forward to dementia lol

I'm not over 70 but I think I have dementia.  I can't remember the last time we won.
(16-01-2024, 03:02 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]

It was an evening match against Birmingham  40,000 I believe, or it felt like it.  brilliant atmosphere.

It was indeed Birmingham and Ray Pointer's broken leg did indeed prove to be the turning point of the season and we dropped back to 5th.  Not much wrong with your memory though other than that it was a Saturday in front of 27,000.
yeah, I do get the matches mixed up a bit lol

Deebo

The only thing I remember from the match was Bob Wilson had appeared as a pundit for the BBC during the 1970 World Cup. As he was picking the ball out of the net my mate shouted to him “Analyse that fucker, Wilson.”
That broken leg not only cost us promotion but also a chance to win the cup, we were home to West Brom (Jeff Astle etc) the following week and only narrowly lost, and they went on to win the cup.
I saw both the Birningham and West Brom games. The official gate for the Cup Tie is given as 42642, Yes Deep Pompey did miss Ray that afternoon and the remaining league games indeed.
Ageist love-in!
(16-01-2024, 03:53 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]I saw both the Birningham and West Brom games. The official gate for the Cup Tie is given as 42642, Yes Deep Pompey did miss Ray that afternoon and the remaining league games indeed.

The Arsenal game was 39,000 ish, the West Brom game 42,000 ish and there was a Fulham cup game at 44,000 ish.

They were the highest gates I’ve been in at FP.

I think the attendance for Fulham was understated (not unknown in those days  Big Grin ), the capacity was 46,000 and there was not a square inch spare inside the ground, Frogmore Road was packed to the end with people unable to get in.

Great days of the terraces.
(16-01-2024, 05:14 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-01-2024, 03:53 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]I saw both the Birningham and West Brom games. The official gate for the Cup Tie is given as 42642, Yes Deep Pompey did miss Ray that afternoon and the remaining league games indeed.

The Arsenal game was 39,000 ish, the West Brom game 42,000 ish and there was a Fulham cup game at 44,000 ish.

They were the highest gates I’ve been in at FP.

I think the attendance for Fulham was understated (not unknown in those days  Big Grin ), the capacity was 46,000 and there was not a square inch spare inside the ground, Frogmore Road was packed to the end with people unable to get in.

Great days of the terraces.

Sat in the south stand that night with my dad, the crush going down Frogmore rd that night after the game,im not sure my feet touched the ground
(15-01-2024, 09:06 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Just over 4yrs to go.

Snap

Deebo

(16-01-2024, 05:25 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]That’s poetic, Deebs.

I think it may have something to do with living in Shakespeareshire.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m just finishing off a play wot I wrote.
That doth make me grin.

“Those were the days my friend, we are the Fratton End” Big Grin it all comes flooding back Big Grin a passage of rites for nippers finally mixing with the big boys.
Pages: 1 2