TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Where's our fooking bridge thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's coming sooner, promotion or the bridge? Place your bets now.
A fully functional Milton End and Safe standing for those who have ADHD and can't cope with sitting down! Just hope they leave the front half seated.
According to the news there is progress with network rail now which is encouraging.

Re your question, which will come first, promotion to the championship or the start of a new fratton bridge being built, which will enable a new North Stand to be built after too...

I think promotion is more likely to come first.

Oddwise, I'd price it up as:

Promotion 2/7
Bridge 5/2
Well bearing in mind the rest of the railway infrastructure in Pompey, with four of the ropeyest stations in the country and a signalling system that is not fit for purpose, my hopes are not high.
yeh the harbour station could be a stunning gateway to the city and gunwharf, but it aint.
(18-01-2024, 11:05 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Well bearing in mind the rest of the railway infrastructure in Pompey, with four of the ropeyest stations in the country and a signalling system that is not fit for purpose, my hopes are not high.

Surely, if the signalling system wasn’t fit for purpose, trains would crash on a regular basis?
Take whatever Stephen Morgan say with a pinch of salt, there is a election coming up
Promotion and the bridge will come together, sometime in the 2030s.
A project like that will be completed in 5 years minimum
(19-01-2024, 06:50 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 11:05 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Well bearing in mind the rest of the railway infrastructure in Pompey, with four of the ropeyest stations in the country and a signalling system that is not fit for purpose, my hopes are not high.

Surely, if the signalling system wasn’t fit for purpose, trains would crash on a regular basis?

Yes very drive Cunning  Big Grin .

They don’t really n often enough to crash ffs.

The signaling system is supposed to ensure the safe and smooth running of trains, which is all well and good when it’s working. One of the most regular announcements we regular train users hear is ‘the train is delayed by a fault in the signaling system’, the only announcement you hear more frequently is ‘we are sorry that your journey will take longer than planned’. If the signals aren’t working all the signals are on red and the trains have to stop at every signal and be talked through it. It was more efficient when you had actual humans in signal boxes controlling things manually.

The stations are a disgrace, lifts out of order most of the time, ditto the toilets (if there are any and those are always closed at night anyway). Trains and stations are better almost everywhere else ffs. The stations and trains are filthy too. 

So I repeat ‘not fit for purpose’.

As we invebted the fucking things you’d think we’d do a better job
(19-01-2024, 08:45 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

The signaling system is supposed to ensure the safe and smooth running of trains, which is all well and good when it’s working. One of the most regular announcements we regular train users hear is ‘the train is delayed by a fault in the signaling system’, the only announcement you hear more frequently is ‘we are sorry that your journey will take longer than planned’. If the signals aren’t working all the signals are on red and the trains have to stop at every signal and be talked through it. It was more efficient when you had actual humans in signal boxes controlling things manually.

The stations are a disgrace, lifts out of order most of the time, ditto the toilets (if there are any and those are always closed at night anyway). Trains and stations are better almost everywhere else ffs. The stations and trains are filthy too. 

Fuck me, it’s Hammie with attitude  Big Grin
(19-01-2024, 02:01 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

its heart breaking all the things that we invented and are too fkin tight/uneducated to run these days.
Nuclear power stations, paying the cheese eaters to build them for us, for starters!
Who are the cheese eaters? I'm obviously not fully up to speed with the latest racist terminology. I thought it was the chinese that were given the contract to build - remember Cameron's love-in with Xi - but do they eat cheese?
(19-01-2024, 11:06 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]Who are the cheese eaters? I'm obviously not fully up to speed with the latest racist terminology. I thought it was the chinese that were given the contract to build - remember Cameron's love-in with Xi - but do they eat cheese?

Can they do us a deal on a bridge whilst they're over?
"cheese eating surrender monkeys"
Black Adder I think
Could get Alec Guinness and his mates to build it.
(19-01-2024, 10:27 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-01-2024, 02:01 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

its heart breaking all the things that we invented and are too fkin tight/uneducated to run these days.
Nuclear power stations, paying the cheese eaters to build them for us, for starters!

The other day I was reminded what a colossal balls-up Dungeness B became. I think that was an all British affair, though maybe doomed to failure by its proximity to the frogs.
It's a long term plan. First the bridge, then yearly away days at Stamford Bridge.
and they can look at the other footbridge which is rammed after the game and always seems an accident waiting to happen!