TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Slow Transfer Window, NOT!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Blackett-Taylor wants to move north for personal reasons. He sadly was never going to come to the Portsmouth which my geography knowledge tells me is actually further south than London. I am slightly nervous about our lack of activity but will not melt down until February 1st.
(20-01-2024, 09:33 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 09:15 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 08:11 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 02:13 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Developed how? He can't pass, can't hold, can't offer options other than run a lot. Have you actually even seen him play? Tell me what he has contributed, I'll be fascinated to find out what has impressed you.

Gerryatric - TD arrived in the summer from Northern Ireland having  played around 80 games in their part-time  league (probably equivalent of National League North/South. 

At 19 yrs old He  has travelled  to a different country settled in & is now training & playing as a full time professional !!

You need to give him at least two seasons before throwing wild accusations.

No wonder players get  p!ssed off when they read comments like yours - support these young players !!

It's just an opinion based on XX years of watching football and XXX minutes of watching him at games and via iFollow - his age etc don't come into it.
Funnily enough today is the first time I've seen anything in him....but crucially in a completely different position. So maybe not the lad's fault but the way he has being played.
PS: it's 'geriatric'. Well done on recognising the pun!

So you're basing your opinion  on  around 7 appearances ( you haven't learnt much in xx yrs of watching football moosh (Hmm... another ifollow expert )   

Of course his tender years come in to it as it does with Robertson & Kamara - he isn't a Gavin Whyte of  xxx league appearances & xxxxx minutes 

p s. I'll stick with Gerryatric in your case, same difference  - "an old person who is receiving special care"

XX XXXXX  XX X XXXXXXXXXX   XXXX XXXXXX.
XXXX xxx X  XXXX XXXXXXXX. X
So there.
(21-01-2024, 06:53 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 02:13 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Developed how? He can't pass, can't hold, can't offer options other than run a lot. Have you actually even seen him play? Tell me what he has contributed, I'll be fascinated to find out what has impressed you.

Gerryatric - TD arrived in the summer from Northern Ireland having  played around 80 games in their part-time  league (probably equivalent of National League North/South. 

At 19 yrs old He  has travelled  to a different country settled in & is now training & playing as a full time professional !!

No wonder players get  p!ssed off when they read comments like yours - support these young players !!

It's just an opinion based on XX years of watching football and XXX minutes of watching him at games and via iFollow - his age etc don't come into it.
Funnily enough today is the first time I've seen anything in him....but crucially in a completely different position. So maybe not the lad's fault but the way he has being played.

So you're basing your opinion  on  around 7 appearances ( you haven't learnt much in xx yrs of watching football moosh (Hmm... another ifollow expert )   

Of course his tender years come in to it as it does with Robertson & Kamara - he isn't a Gavin Whyte of  xxx league appearances & xxxxx minutes 

p s. I'll stick with Gerryatric in your case, same difference  - "an old person who is receiving special care"

So there.
Expletive deleted?
(21-01-2024, 06:53 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

So there.
That’s a lot of love.
Exterminator needs a few kisses in his life me thinks.
(20-01-2024, 01:08 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 12:12 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Ladappo is a player I really like. Charlton have done well to get him. 

After this summers fantastic recruitment I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt. If this was a year ago I would be hopping up and down saying its a shit show.

"Fantastic" ? Hmmmm.....let's have a look. Hit or miss?
Whyte - Miss
Scully - Miss
Schofield - Miss
Norris - okay
Poole - Hit
Sparkes - Hit up to December
Lane - Hit
Stevenson - Miss
Shaunessy - Hit
Saydee - Miss
Yengi - okay
Devlin - Miss
Anjorin - okay
Robertson - Hit
Kamara - okay

Sort of a mixed bag really. Nothing to shout home about.
Compare that to Cowley's previous year when we got Bishop, Morrell and Pack. 
Of course, some may come good or return to form but it's not looking as rosy as we thought.

Totally agree summer recruitment was a long way short of fantastic
So poor, in fact, we’ve only been top of the league for most of the season.
(21-01-2024, 10:30 AM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 01:08 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 12:12 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Ladappo is a player I really like. Charlton have done well to get him. 

After this summers fantastic recruitment I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt. If this was a year ago I would be hopping up and down saying its a shit show.

"Fantastic" ? Hmmmm.....let's have a look. Hit or miss?
Whyte - Miss
Scully - Miss
Schofield - Miss
Norris - okay
Poole - Hit
Sparkes - Hit up to December
Lane - Hit
Stevenson - Miss
Shaunessy - Hit
Saydee - Miss
Yengi - okay
Devlin - Miss
Anjorin - okay
Robertson - Hit
Kamara - okay

Sort of a mixed bag really. Nothing to shout home about.
Compare that to Cowley's previous year when we got Bishop, Morrell and Pack. 
Of course, some may come good or return to form but it's not looking as rosy as we thought.

Totally agree summer recruitment was a long way short of fantastic

Apart from Robertson and Poole,none of them would cut it in the championship,if we got promoted
(21-01-2024, 10:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]So poor, in fact, we’ve only been top of the league for most of the season.

Fair point although the main core of the side all arrived before the last transfer window...Rafferty, Ogilvy, Pack, Morrell, Bishop, Lane, Raggett...allowing for injuries/suspensions, of course.
Not entirely sure of the precise nature of Hughes' role is other than preparing us for two transfer windows. Obviously a challenging job when working within the framework set out by the owners. You know all the 'eat what we kill', need to be sustainable etc which will always mean that our budget falls short of the competition although, in fairness, most of them now play in the Championship because they were prepared to invest.
That said, overall he has done a half decent job in bringing in players that have positively added to the squad such as Poole, Devlin, Shaughnessy, Yengi, Kamara and Robertson although the last two are only on loan. He's also been responsible for bringing in some rubbish with Whyte at the top of the list.
He's not the messiah but he's done OK and getting Poole, in my view, was an absolute revelation
To say that only two of the current squad could hack it in the Championship is nonsense. I'd say it's more like six or seven although in saying that you have take into account potential and proper managment. I'd also include Lane, Shaughnessy, Kamara, Yengi and possibly Devlin.
I guess this week we'll know how much Eisner wants promotion.
(21-01-2024, 11:28 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-01-2024, 10:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]So poor, in fact, we’ve only been top of the league for most of the season.

Fair point although the main core of the side all arrived before the last transfer window...Rafferty, Ogilvy, Pack, Morrell, Bishop, Lane, Raggett...allowing for injuries/suspensions, of course.
Not entirely sure of the precise nature of Hughes' role is other than preparing us for two transfer windows. Obviously a challenging job when working within the framework set out by the owners. You know all the 'eat what we kill', need to be sustainable etc which will always mean that our budget falls short of the competition although, in fairness, most of them now play in the Championship because they were prepared to invest.
That said, overall he has done a half decent job in bringing in players that have positively added to the squad such as Poole, Devlin, Shaughnessy, Yengi, Kamara and Robertson although the last two are only on loan. He's also been responsible for bringing in some rubbish with Whyte at the top of the list.
He's not the messiah but he's done OK and getting Poole, in my view, was an absolute revelation
To say that only two of the current squad could hack it in the Championship is nonsense. I'd say it's more like six or seven although in saying that you have take into account potential and proper managment. I'd also include Lane, Shaughnessy, Kamara, Yengi and possibly Devlin.
I guess this week we'll know how much Eisner wants promotion.

I would say that it is a young squad we have on the whole and there are young players like Saydee and Devlin in particular with a lot of potential so it isn't necessarily s simple as some have made ot seem by labelling 'hits and misses' arbitrarily. Whyte and Scully have been the most glaring misses because they were signed with this season very much in mind and it isn't working.

Obviously the Eisner's want promotion and they want two of them. There is very little financial upside or them in running a perennial league one side especially given the money being spent on our stadium and geing infrastructure. Where the disconnect is comes down to urgency. They are steadily moving things forward off the pitch, and it is very important to remember how far our financial meltdown put us behind some of our previous and current rivals off the pitch.

It is in their interests for the club to get put of league one soon for fan goodwill but they aren't likely to spend enormous sums of money to chase promotion whatever division we are in next season. It is frustrating for fans of course but football finances are under the microscope more than ever. The sustainable approach will pay dividends I'm sure of it. But fans do need something tangible to celebrate shorter term top I think after a lifetime in this God forsaken division.
This is a great division. As good as the football was in the old second division. if you don’t believe me, have a look at some of the tv re-runs.
10 days to go. Another year where we are prepared to play a game of brinkmanship and gamble our league position.
(21-01-2024, 01:37 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]10 days to go. Another year where we are prepared to play a game of brinkmanship and gamble our league position.

Signing second or third choices would be a bigger gamble.  

It's not brinkmanship if you've been told by their clubs that  the players you want are not being made available until nearer  the end of the month. That's just sound planning or whatever the opposite of panic is because signing lesser players and missing out on your targets would be panicking. 

We've got a decent chance of going up this season, and the last thing you need is a squad full of newly contracted players that were not your first choice so presumably may not be good enough for the Championship and you can't get rid of them.
(21-01-2024, 01:37 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]10 days to go. Another year where we are prepared to play a game of brinkmanship and gamble our league position.

Who would you think it sensible to sign, S?
Our philosophy on this differs. IMO the definition of insanity applies here. You have to do what the likes of Luton, Sunderland , Wigan Peterborough have done in recent years - sign the Championship players you want now and use them to play you up.

That requires financial commitment at Championship levels in the immediate term, not as a reaction to finding yourself promoted to the Championship. Football is a food chain, always has been, always will be.

This in my view demonstrates that whilst Tornante would welcome promotion, they don't demand it.

I couldn't imagine Milan or the PST sitting on his hands at this juncture when we have been told that there is money to be spent.

Why not derisk our current position?

Waiting for Prem kids is brinkmanship. We run the risk that other moves in the food chain fall through and we end up with no one as a result.
And what if the Championship players you want are not being made available till next week ?
Pages: 1 2