TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 1 week to go
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If we are serious about trying to achieve automatic Promotion, we desperately need to strengthen the forward line. Bishop is the only centre forward available for the next few weeks and if he or Yengi sustain a bad injury it’s game over. So far we have brought in a back up keeper and a young midfielder to replace Robertson. So just treading water really.
Now we are told Stephenson is out for 4-6 weeks and we are still awaiting Morel’s diagnosis. That doesn’t look like good news.

We obviously need another CB but surely we still need an experienced Striker and Winger who can hit the ground running. I don’t understand why the moose is happy with just Bishop and Yengi (when he’s back), hopefully injury free. 

Derby have a fantastic strike force and have shown true ambition adding Blackett-Taylor and look likely to be also adding Michael Smith. They are likely to go top tonight and unless we recruit another couple of experienced forwards in this window they will be out of site in a few weeks time.

Let’s be honest we are not really much of a threat going forward, and haven’t been for some time, not like the likes of Derby, Bolton and Peterborough. You can probably add Blackpool, Oxford and now Charlton to that too.

We do score goals and have done very well so far despite are lack of pace and creativity in the final third. I really hope the recruitment team have some aces up their sleeves or this season will end up just like the last few, failure down to poor recruitment in January.
(23-01-2024, 10:16 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]If we are serious about trying to achieve automatic Promotion, we desperately need to strengthen the forward line. Bishop is the only centre forward available for the next few weeks and if he or Yengi sustain a bad injury it’s game over. So far we have brought in a back up keeper and a young midfielder to replace Robertson. So just treading water really.
Now we are told Stephenson is out for 4-6 weeks and we are still awaiting Morel’s diagnosis. That doesn’t look like good news.

We obviously need another CB but surely we still need an experienced Striker and Winger who can hit the ground running. I don’t understand why the moose is happy with just Bishop and Yengi (when he’s back), hopefully injury free. 

Derby have a fantastic strike force and have shown true ambition adding Blackett-Taylor and look likely to be also adding Michael Smith. They are likely to go top tonight and unless we recruit another couple of experienced forwards in this window they will be out of site in a few weeks time.

Let’s be honest we are not really much of a threat going forward, and haven’t been for some time, not like the likes of Derby, Bolton and Peterborough. You can probably add Blackpool, Oxford and now Charlton to that too.

We do score goals and have done very well so far despite are lack of pace and creativity in the final third. I really hope the recruitment team have some aces up their sleeves or this season will end up just like the last few, failure down to poor recruitment in January.

I agree, the glaring need of this team is more fire power.

I don’t think we need another CB at the moment, we are well served in that area.

As for wingers, we seem to have a few of those but I’d like to see someone who actually gets to the byline on a regular basis and provides some decent crosses.
You are right, I think we need to strengthen up top. Another striker and a winger. Centre back too as Conor is the only decent fit CB we have IMO. A quality striker is a must.

Derby for example are really going for it.

Hopefully Morrell won't be out for long.

If we look at what we have done so far, it's a little underwhelming. Martin was already here, and isn't great from what we've seen. Macey is good but won't play much, if at all. The youngster from Brentford is rated but we will see, another loan.

The club haven't spent any money on bringing quality players in yet. 

We need more firepower.

Huge next week for the club.
Someone like Aaron collins can play up top or down the wing would be perfect
I have to agree.

One loan signing would be a poor return.

Lets hope they have a few rods in the fire.
We’ve ’done’ 1loan and 1 signing.
(23-01-2024, 10:25 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-01-2024, 10:16 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]If we are serious about trying to achieve automatic Promotion, we desperately need to strengthen the forward line. Bishop is the only centre forward available for the next few weeks and if he or Yengi sustain a bad injury it’s game over. So far we have brought in a back up keeper and a young midfielder to replace Robertson. So just treading water really.

I don’t think we need another CB at the moment, we are well served in that area.

As for wingers, we seem to have a few of those but I’d like to see someone who actually gets to the byline on a regular basis and provides some decent crosses.

I also agree that CB is not a priority. For those who may have forgotten, Towler showed what a good player he is by coming in in an unfamiliar position on Saturday and Ogilvie, who can also play there, is back.
Looks like Mous and Hughes are pinning a lot of hopes on Whyte and Scully coming good.
Yengi starts for Australia today with a huge point to prove. Fingers crossed he stays injury free. Be interesting to see what Plan B is if he does get crocked. What a crazy situation.

Why haven’t we been interested in Clarke-harris, Blackett-Taylor, Ladapo, Smith etc. If we truly want to get over the line surely it’s about building for next year too. Not only would any of these signings help us now but are also good enough for next season too if we finally did make it.

You don’t ever get promoted on the cheap. At some stage you have to just go for it. We are led to believe that the purse strings have been well and truly loosened yet continue to watch a number of quality players that should be within our reach go elsewhere. Recruitment over the next 7 days will show are true ambition for the rest of this season. Something needs to happen soon or next season we will struggling against the likes of Wrexham and Stockport as well as the 3 clubs relegated from the Championship.
Yengi had a goal disallowed.
(23-01-2024, 12:13 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

I also agree that CB is not a priority. For those who may have forgotten, Towler showed what a good player he is by coming in in an unfamiliar position on Saturday and Ogilvie, who can also play there, is back.
Looks like Mous and Hughes are pinning a lot of hopes on Whyte and Scully coming good.

We need cover for right centre back if Raggett gets injured. Neither Ogilvie nor Towler can play on the right. That has been the priority since Poole got injured and remains so. 

Edmundson was a perfect target, but his recall to the first team makes that look less likely, though they do have two centre backs at the Asia Cup so maybe a last minute deal is not out of the question.
Yengi played pretty well in the first half, should have had a proper assist if McGree could hit an open goal. Yengi still earned a penalty though in the same play with the softest handball decision you'll ever see.
Honestly Jackettball would have been more exciting than watching that game. I think I actually fell asleep for a bit in the second half.
I am not convinced by our levels of ambition. That is not the same as saying we have none (we clearly do) but now is the time you make your own luck by putting your hand in your pocket. We have been told the money is there. Make the players we want available by ourselves by making acceptable offers and get this League 1 nightmare over and done with FFS.

Derby are showing how it should be done.
Niall innes close to joining Bolton apparently. Another opportunity missed
I don't think the issue is more fire power, I see 3 (or 4) main issues that have to be addressed:

1 Finishing: 
We create a lot of chances (thank god) but we don't put nearly enough of them away. Colby is not a consistent finisher although the rest of is game is exceptional for L1. We either have to accept that his finishing will be Streaky or gamble and look for another striker. In january that is very difficult and expensive. Colby is good enough that the goals will come back. - hence why we aren't looking. Other players also need to up their game in terms of goals from midfield.

2A:tactics
We have been done on the break a few times recently and we need to have a better plan to cope with that. The enforced 352/343 (whatever you wanna call it) got an extra CB on the pitch and made us look far more solid, albeit against the league whipping boys.

2B: Formation:
Getting the best 11 players on the pitch balanced with the best formation to address the opposing teams tactics. And best compliment how you want to play. As they say, a change is as good as a rest. Psychologiy, changing the formation gave players and fans alike a wee boost.

4: Injuries:
Getting enough adequate cover in. Which is this threads main topic of discussion. Connor can double as a CB so its not a total disaster if we dont get another CB in but he is wasted there when he is so good at LB. I think we really need a box to box midfielder to help unlock defenses and protect the back line when raggs has his customary wobble.
With Stevenson out I would not be surpised to see another holding midfielder brought in, especially if Morrell is out for any length of time.  The alternative is to play Lowery or Devlin there, assuming MPH will take the 10 slot.  Or Shaughnessy and play Towler at the back.
We’re still waiting for the ‘customary wobble’.

We’ve seen Shockers make a few howlers but I suppose when Raggett does eventually make a mistake, all SRs critics will be straight in with the knife.
(23-01-2024, 12:13 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn’t think Towler showed what a good player he was. I thought he was very shaky. Understandable after such a long period with playing.
We were told in December to expect business to be towards the end of this window. At least we know about possibly having another couple of midfielders out now rather than the day after the window closes.
Only 1 week to go until the hoodoo period is gone. We're still top, which is a minor miracle and testament to the giant cushion the lads built in November/December