TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 2002/03 promotion season blip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just had a look, that season we played 8 league games over December and January, and only managed one win.

Forgotten how much of a blip we had back then, but obviously all ended well.
Look at the players we had and management ….. no comparison
We were garbage in a lot of home games until the much rumoured players revolution when we let them off the lease and started going for the jugular.
I remember one of our groups starting to bet on nil nil at half time and full time. Of course being Pompey they stuck one in the net in the 45th minute just to annoy him.
Reading some of the comments from the BBC on Bolton v Cheltenham , Bolton were shit and should have lost. Its good to know our biggest rival is also struggling at the moment. Hopefully they will drop some points this weekend. The minnows are quite capable of making the promotion candidates look silly.

Sometimes we are so focused on ourselves, we forget that it's just the nature of the beast that good teams and good players play shit sometimes.

With hindsight, the losses to orient and Cheltenham aren't as bad as they first seem.
I’m not so sure that Bolton are our biggest rival. Peterborough are the ones I’m looking over my shoulder at.
(23-01-2024, 10:24 PM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]Look at the players we had and management ….. no comparison

Would that be the same players and management that we only got one win from, in two months?

They were obviously just as shit as this lot.
(23-01-2024, 10:57 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]We were garbage in a lot of home games until the much rumoured players revolution when we let them off the lease and started going for the jugular.
I remember one of our groups starting to bet on nil nil at half time and full time. Of course being Pompey they stuck one in the net in the 45th minute just to annoy him.

Hammie ... I think you are confusing 2002/03 with the Paul Cook promotion season. 
Pretty sure Harry Redknapp never had a any sort of player revolt.
He signed some revolting players.
(24-01-2024, 11:26 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]He signed some revolting players.

Really? I'm 62 and that was the best season of my lifetime
Hammie.
We lost 1-0 at home to Crewe and fratton was apoplectic with rage.
Cook came out and said we will play our next game yhe way he wanted or he'd leave.
He insisted on players to run into space and move the ball on when it came to them and not to run with it.
All of a sudden we were stretching teams and pulling them apart.
2003 team just went out in January and signed Steve Stone, Tim Sherwood and Yakubu.
We just carried on blitzing teams off the park home and away
(24-01-2024, 04:45 PM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-01-2024, 11:26 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]He signed some revolting players.

It was a great season but I had forgotten just how much shit came though the door as well as the good. You take the rough woth the smooth woth Harry and there was a lot moore of the smooth that season.
(24-01-2024, 05:41 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hammie.
We lost 1-0 at home to Crewe and fratton was apoplectic with rage.
Cook came out and said we will play our next game yhe way he wanted or he'd leave.
He insisted on players to run into space and move the ball on when it came to them and not to run with it.

My recollection was that we didn't have a shot on target the entire afternoon.

At Crawley, the following Tuesday evening, the first attempt at goal was treated with derision, but we finally went on to win 2-0.

I believe that was the start of the promotion season charge.

Bizarre to think that we finished above Luton that season!
(24-01-2024, 09:37 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-01-2024, 04:45 PM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]

It was a great season but I had forgotten just how much shit came though the door as well as the good. You take the rough woth the smooth woth Harry and there was a lot moore of the smooth that season.
I can't think of one shit player signed by Redkapp in that promotion season....who did you have in mind ?
Harry did a brilliant job of turning a perennial relegation team into champions in one go.
I can't be sure which of Cook's seasons it was but we drew 4 nil nils on the trot at home.
I recall the endless sideways passing drawing boos then in the same move Naismith scored and fronted up to the Fratton end, which I thought made him a very suitable player for Pompey actually.
(24-01-2024, 10:08 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I can't think of one shit player signed by Redkapp in that promotion season....who did you have in mind ?

Talking generally, Deep.

I really never took to Quashie but whether he was as bad as I remember is debatable. He did a very good job down the road, so his constant skyrockets are now remembered with more affection.

There can’t be many players who still have their name chanted nearly 20 years after they left.  Big Grin
(25-01-2024, 05:25 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Talking generally, Deep.

I really never took to Quashie but whether he was as bad as I remember is debatable. He did a very good job down the road, so his constant skyrockets are now remembered with more affection.

There can’t be many players who still have their name chanted nearly 20 years after they left.  Big Grin

Morning all. Cunni, Quashie wasn't signed by Redknapp here. But he did sign for Scum when he was there.

Talking generally, Deep.

OK, but you said 'that season' which made me think you had someone mind, and I genuinely could not think as single bad signing that year.  Haydn Foxe was the only one I could think of, but I'd regard him as an OK signing rather than bad one.  That season is my all time favourite season in nearly 60 years of watching Pompey, better than the premier years.  Only the first year of fan ownership comes close to that, but that was nothing to do with the football being played. 

Quashie was a Pulis signing. One of his best probably but that's a very low bar..
(25-01-2024, 07:51 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-01-2024, 04:45 PM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]Really? I'm 62 and that was the best season of my lifetime

Talking generally, Deep.

Morning all. Cunni, Quashie wasn't signed by Redknapp here. But he did sign for Scum when he was there.

Chuckle, he played him, thats enough to indict Harry  Big Grin

Given how we tore up the league that season, it’s difficult to criticise him (or Quashie) too much.

Quite apart from Quashies attempts at knocking the clock off the Fratton end, what used to niggle me most was how he constantly demanded the ball and then promptly wasted it when he got it. Couldn’t fault his endeavour or passion though.I just felt that he wasn’t anything like as good as he thought he was.

Just my opinion, of course.
(25-01-2024, 11:40 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-01-2024, 07:51 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-01-2024, 09:37 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]It was a great season but I had forgotten just how much shit came though the door as well as the good. You take the rough woth the smooth woth Harry and there was a lot moore of the smooth that season.

Talking generally, Deep.

Chuckle, he played him, thats enough to indict Harry  Big Grin

Given how we tore up the league that season, it’s difficult to criticise him (or Quashie) too much.

Quite apart from Quashies attempts at knocking the clock off the Fratton end, what used to niggle me most was how he constantly demanded the ball and then promptly wasted it when he got it. Couldn’t fault his endeavour or passion though.I just felt that he wasn’t anything like as good as he thought he was.

Just my opinion, of course.

I thought Quashie deserved credit for doing Merson's running for him. Without a Quashie behind him Merse would never have had as good a season as he did. Every good team neeeds a 'water carrier' and Quashie was good one, and he did score an occasional good goal with a long range shot. Just a pity he spent so much time trying to repeat the feat and failing. 

I've always wondered if he knows his name is still sung .... and why.
Ha, his name was sung by the Fratton End a few weeks ago following a shot over the bar - and wondered the exact same thing
Let's be honest, how many of those who sing the David Kemp ever saw him play?
It was Quashie's quote to The News that earned him that one. One in ten of those go in, he said!
(26-01-2024, 02:38 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]It was Quashie's quote to The News that earned him that one. One in ten of those go in, he said!

That's a lot of barn doors.
He missed the bloody barn!