TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Update to my "We ain't going up thread".
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok fair cop, I'll hold my hand I was guilty of posting while still annoyed. In hindsight and with a lot of sensible and reasoned self argument I reckon with the signings over the last few days plus returning injuries we can still go up, not sure about top, but definitely top 2. PUP
I feel the club have fully backed JM in both transfer windows to get us success - and he deserves it as he is clearly an excellent manager. Now I am both excited and nervous about the run in. Excited ar the thought of being so close to ending this awful League One nightmare and nervous that expectations have now been raised to an unprecedented level.

To NOT go up this season would be absolutely gutting on a scale I cannot imagine in 50 years of supporting the club. 

I have confidence in the management and the club but I am very jittery about some of the players having seen on Tuesday night the kamikaze mentality they are capable of.

I hope they have the backbone for the mounting pressure to come.
Oxford played very well. It was a great result.
(02-02-2024, 04:52 PM)suffolkpompey Wrote: [ -> ]Ok fair cop, I'll hold my hand I was guilty of posting while still annoyed. In hindsight and with a lot of sensible and reasoned self argument I reckon with the signings over the last few days plus returning injuries we can still go up, not sure about top, but definitely top 2. PUP

It happens. I was convinced in the immediate aftermath of the Poole injury announcement that we wouldn't even make the playoffs.
10 out of 12 points.
3 of those away.
8 to 3 in goals.
What's not to like.
A very good January transfer window
Starting a ‘we ain’t going up’ thread before all our business in the January window was completed is playing with fire especially with how good Hughes has been in previous windows. He seems to have done it again, we have moved up a gear on that performance against Northampton anyway
I've been banging on that this team is different to the others that have failed to bring success. 

What a a great performance today. Can't deny Lane as motm but I also though Pack was immense. Put in some key tackles and assists.

We have points on the board. Let the others scramble to catch up Tues sat Tues sat Tues sat. 

We are building momentum again.
Charlton looking like they might go down, still got to play all the top teams
(02-02-2024, 05:47 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I feel the club have fully backed JM in both transfer windows to get us success - and he deserves it as he is clearly an excellent manager. Now I am both excited and nervous about the run in. Excited ar the thought of being so close to ending this awful League One nightmare and nervous that expectations have now been raised to an unprecedented level.

To NOT go up this season would be absolutely gutting on a scale I cannot imagine in 50 years of supporting the club. 

I have confidence in the management and the club but I am very jittery about some of the players having seen on Tuesday night the kamikaze mentality they are capable of.

I hope they have the backbone for the mounting pressure to come.

Hold your nerve man Big Grin
(03-02-2024, 05:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I've been banging on that this team is different to the others that have failed to bring success. 

What a a great performance today. Can't deny Lane as motm but I also though Pack was immense. Put in some key tackles and assists.

We have points on the board. Let the others scramble to catch up Tues sat Tues sat Tues sat. 

We are building momentum again.

Lanes second goal after going down to 10 men underlined the excellent performance that was on display today that we were so dominant even after losing a man we still stuck another 2 past them from open play. It was an epic performance given the fact that there was new players still getting to know each other and obviously the in my opinion totally unjust red card
(03-02-2024, 05:32 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Charlton looking like they might go down, still got to play all the top teams

bugger, that's three points we ain't getting then!
(03-02-2024, 05:41 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2024, 05:32 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Charlton looking like they might go down, still got to play all the top teams

We hardly ever beat Charlton ffs
(03-02-2024, 05:44 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe this season
it would make a pleasant change
(03-02-2024, 05:47 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2024, 05:44 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe this season
it would make a pleasant change

Harry's team started with something at Sheff Utd and Palace, that's when we started believing!
Whilst we are interested in Pompey's performance we can't imbue those teams below us with superhuman powers of winning. As I posted in another thread, no one team is guaranteed to beat another and no one has gone on an exceptional run of results.

Look at yesterday, of the five teams below us in the promotion/playoff spots before kick-off, only one team won. Three drew and one lost. And the loss was to a mid-table side.

Barring last season, which was a high points affair, getting an average of 2 points per game was enough to go up automatically. Only us and Bolton are achieving that right now.
After arriving in the states last night I checked the score and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect a win by that margin.

Haven't seen the red card but the general opinion is we need to appeal it. Looks like Mcintyre on crutches and in a boot was precautionary and he should be fine

15 games left for us now, and our games against those around us will be huge and season defining.

Carlisle, Cambridge and Reading the next 3.

Take 7 to 9 points from those and we are in with a shout but it's never that simple. Can't afford many slip ups now.
(04-02-2024, 10:03 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Whilst we are interested in Pompey's performance we can't imbue those teams below us with superhuman powers of winning. As I posted in another thread, no one team is guaranteed to beat another and no one has gone on an exceptional run of results.

Look at yesterday, of the five teams below us in the promotion/playoff spots before kick-off, only one team won. Three drew and one lost. And the loss was to a mid-table side.

Barring last season, which was a high points affair, getting an average of 2 points per game was enough to go up automatically. Only us and Bolton are achieving that right now.

Although that mid table side was Wigan who are in a bit of a false position. They would be top 10 without points deductions.
Orient are on a run of 17 from 21 points, according to the commentate on the box, assuming yesterday adds on 20 from 24. That's red hot!
Presumably, Pigott is firing them in, in the same fashion that Kamara is for us?