TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Scored/dismissed on debut
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There have been plenty of scoring debutants in Pompey's history.....Neil Webb, Alan Biley, Jermaine Defoe......
But who has been sent off on their debut?
Can't think of any but I'm guessing there must have been someone.
I seem to recall mad dog coming on a sub and getting sent off within about ten minutes. around then we had a run of red card home debuts.
Ross McCrorie got sent off on his debut.  I think.
(04-02-2024, 01:11 PM)Trarchus Wrote: [ -> ]Ross McCrorie got sent off on his debut.  I think.

Best thing that could have happened.
Michael Brown came to mind though I'm nor sure if it was his debut.
(04-02-2024, 01:22 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Michael Brown came to mind though I'm nor sure if it was his debut.

Am I gonna have to look that one up for you an’all?
Correct about McCrorie....

"In July 2019, McCrorie agreed a deal to move to English club Portsmouth on loan for the 2019–20 season; it was reported that Pompey had an option to buy him outright,[17] but this was refuted by Rangers manager Steven Gerrard a few days later.[18] He made his competitive debut for Pompey on 3 August, a 1–0 defeat away at Shrewsbury Town, during which he was sent off in the 81st minute for a late challenge."

(Can't find any evidence for Michael Brown although Sean Davis accused him of trying to break his leg when playing against us.)
Was it Steve Stone, or another midfielder of similar stature at a similar time?
(04-02-2024, 02:54 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Was it Steve Stone, or another midfielder of similar stature at a similar time?

Got a feeling Ricardo Rocha got sent off on his debut?
(04-02-2024, 03:05 PM)Maddog56 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2024, 02:54 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Was it Steve Stone, or another midfielder of similar stature at a similar time?

Got a feeling Ricardo Rocha got sent off on his debut?

Rocha got sent off in his second and third game for us, two reds on the trot
Lee Chapman got sent off on his home debut - does that count? Charlton I think.
As for scoring on debut, how about Luke Nightingale? Came on as sub against West Brom, scored at the Fratton End within a minute, then scored the winner in a 3-2 victory!
(04-02-2024, 05:17 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]As for scoring on debut, how about Luke Nightingale? Came on as sub against West Brom, scored at the Fratton End within a minute, then scored the winner in a 3-2 victory!

2-1

Plenty of goalscoring debuts.
Can't believe there's no more debut sending off though but has got me stumped.
Can't remember the season but we made some marquee signings in Webb and Biley and they both scored in a 4-1 season opener on a beautiful August afternoon.
(04-02-2024, 07:53 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Can't remember the season but we made some marquee signings in Webb and Biley and they both scored in a 4-1 season opener on a beautiful August afternoon.

Sheffield utd. Can’t remember the year.

GERRY?
(04-02-2024, 08:06 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2024, 07:53 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Can't remember the season but we made some marquee signings in Webb and Biley and they both scored in a 4-1 season opener on a beautiful August afternoon.

Sheffield utd. Can’t remember the year.

GERRY?

1st game of 82/83 season. Ernie Howe also scored that game on his debut.
Bloody hell, was it that long ago?
Phil Ashworth against Bradford I think in the 79/80 season.
He scored 2 in a 4-1 win
Found my old programme from the Sheff Utd game. Yosser Tait scored the 4th. Great team that was.
That match against the pre season favourites for promotion really helped us realise we had a pretty special team. Which happened to be my first full season as I went to watch the Liverpool friendly and signed up to sell programs.
That promotion team really shows the difference between being just about good enough for play offs and winning the league. Harry's tea were the same.
Saturday was the first time this team really played with the swagger of champions.
Vince Hilaire v Blackburn if i remember
(05-02-2024, 05:45 PM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]Vince Hilaire v Blackburn if i remember

Diving header of all things as well.
(05-02-2024, 05:59 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2024, 05:45 PM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]Vince Hilaire v Blackburn if i remember

Indeed it was . In fact it was a brilliant diving header !!
(05-02-2024, 09:49 PM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2024, 05:59 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Indeed it was . In fact it was a brilliant diving header !!

He was a very special player n lots of ways. Loved scoring against teams whose fans gave him stick. Leeds for instance.
Reading this I had Gavin Maguire in mind...but apparently not. Just read a great article from a couple of years ago from the snooze about him and Jim Smith falling out.
Pages: 1 2