TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Would you rather
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have 7 points or 3 games in hand?

I know what I'd prefer
It’s that bush-hand thing…always preferred bush to hand myself.
Points on the board.

Boltons games in hand are Wigan away,  Derby away, Cambridge away.

Not easy.

We have to play Bolton away and it's very possible we could lose at there. We have a tough run.

We have to take it game by game.
(10-02-2024, 05:19 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Have 7 points or 3 games in hand?

I know what I'd prefer

7 points every day of the week. 

Not even a close decision.
Normally, it's better to have games in hand at the top and points at the bottom, but teams, this year, have decided to contradict that.
I can see Bolton not making it at all
As it stands we are now in the driving seat, none of the teams around us with games in hand can afford to lose any of them, only Bolton can overhaul us and they'll have to win all 3 to do that. 7 points would maybe see them top on goal difference. Todays results could be season defining.
(10-02-2024, 05:26 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Normally, it's better to have games in hand at the top and points at the bottom, but teams, this year, have decided to contradict that.

Can't agree with that  ... i'd say points in hand are always worth more than games in hand at either end of the table as long the games in hand involve having to win most of them.  When we were 2 points  in front and Bolton were 3 games in hand they were clearly in pole position, but not now.
I’d rather be in our position with points already in the bag. Rather than Bolton’s with games in hand. A game in hand is just that, you’ve still got to acquire points.
Points on the board every time for me. Bolton have 3 midweek games left in February, we only have 1. I know they didn't play for long this Tuesday but it will still have taken more out of them than a normal training day at home. Fully expect to be a minimum of 4 points clear at the end of Feb
(10-02-2024, 06:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2024, 05:26 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Normally, it's better to have games in hand at the top and points at the bottom, but teams, this year, have decided to contradict that.

Can't agree with that  ... i'd say points in hand are always worth more than games in hand at either end of the table as long the games in hand involve having to win most of them.  When we were 2 points  in front and Bolton were 3 games in hand they were clearly in pole position, but not now.

I think it was1986 when Charlton and Wimbledon had games in hand on Pompey and needed to win them all to stop Pompey getting promoted.
(10-02-2024, 07:10 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]Points on the board every time for me. Bolton have 3 midweek games left in February, we only have 1. I know they didn't play for long this Tuesday but it will still have taken more out of them than a normal training day at home. Fully expect to be a minimum of 4 points clear at the end of Feb

Totally agree and nobody can guarantee points from games in hand. Look at today, Bolton 1-1 with Northampton, the same side we cruised against last week. Bolton had one sent off, but so did we.
(10-02-2024, 05:21 PM)TiHKAL Wrote: [ -> ]It’s that bush-hand thing…always preferred bush to hand myself.

Except that in this case the bush is the hand.
(10-02-2024, 08:49 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2024, 07:10 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]Points on the board every time for me. Bolton have 3 midweek games left in February, we only have 1. I know they didn't play for long this Tuesday but it will still have taken more out of them than a normal training day at home. Fully expect to be a minimum of 4 points clear at the end of Feb

Totally agree and nobody can guarantee points from games in hand. Look at today, Bolton 1-1 with Northampton, the same side we cruised against last week. Bolton had one sent off, but so did we.

Don't underestimate how demoralising that will be for Bolton knowing that we pulled their pants down with ease. And they huffed and puffed to a 1-1.
(10-02-2024, 10:50 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2024, 05:21 PM)TiHKAL Wrote: [ -> ]It’s that bush-hand thing…always preferred bush to hand myself.

Except that in this case the bush is the hand.

It's the exception that proves the rule  Wink
They're talking about the manager's future at Bolton. Fans have been chanting against him, particularly unhappy at the defence selection. They're pulling themselves apart and can see them in the playoffs.

Derby aren't going to let up. It's going to be a 1-2 between us and them I reckon.
Derby fans not happy either.
Always , the points in the bag for me. With games in hand it’s still a lottery. Look at our run of results over Christmas ( horror face emoji).
Put “football fans” “extremely” and “fickle” in the same sentence.
Would you rather have 9 points or 3 games in hand. Big Grin

Bolton had to play over 10 mins added time today and now have to go to Cambridge on Tuesday (who won 4-0 today). I'll be watching that game with interest. 

Shame Derby managed a 90th min winner. I'd say Peterborough are now out of it. Firmly a 3 horse race now.
Cambridge looked impressive. Not as impressive as Reading, mind.