TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 20,000 + on Saturday?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Reckon we should break 20,000 on Saturday! Reading bringing 2,000. There's usually 17,200 to 17,300 in the North, South and Fratton End. So, hope we have at least 700 or 800 Pompey in the Milton End without loads of empty wasted seats in the segregation area!

When did we last break 20k? Final season in the Premier or maybe first season after relegation? Been far too long, though capacity is nowhere near the figure we need!
20,433 for the AC Milan game. Must be the peak in the seated era?
(14-02-2024, 07:24 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]20,433 for the AC Milan game. Must be the peak in the seated era?

Peak in the seated era was definitely against Spurs - around 20,700 - we had just extended the South Stand with those extra rows between the top section and the lower section.
Yes you're correct, 20,821 for Redknapp's return http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football...306767.stm
We would sell 30,000 on Saturday if capacity allowed. No question at all.
Found the answer to my question. We've had one gate over 20,000 since we left the Premier League. 20,040 at home to Leeds in January 2011 when we still had Kanu, Utaka, Nugent and Hreidarrson on our books!

Reckon we should be able to beat that number on Saturday.

Pompey v Leeds Jan 2011
Speaking to someone I know at the club, there is no question that if capacity allowed,  Saturday would be a 25,000 attendance at least. Pushing towards 30,000.

We need that new North stand asap.
When successful we do need more space.
First season in the Champ, whenever that is, we would need it.
If we had a run of less successful seasons of course........

With a general election coming, their Labour South MP could get some extra votes with an announcement about the fabled railway bridge.
Be prepared to get wet. There's a yellow warning of rain effective from 15.00 on Saturday until 18.00 Sunday.
(16-02-2024, 11:07 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking to someone I know at the club, there is no question that if capacity allowed,  Saturday would be a 25,000 attendance at least. Pushing towards 30,000.

Don't be ridiculous.
(16-02-2024, 04:27 PM)Cressers Wrote: [ -> ]Be prepared to get wet. There's a yellow warning of rain effective from 15.00 on Saturday until 18.00 Sunday.

The local forecast for Pompey is a 10% chance of rain for the duration of the match.

After that the pub beckons. Big Grin
(16-02-2024, 05:07 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-02-2024, 11:07 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking to someone I know at the club, there is no question that if capacity allowed,  Saturday would be a 25,000 attendance at least. Pushing towards 30,000.

Don't be ridiculous.
Actually, for once, I think Titch might actually not be far wrong.
Only if you think he knows someone at the club.
(16-02-2024, 06:59 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Only if you think he knows someone at the club.

I'll give you that one Bill
Which one Titch? Pryszm? In my day I was more of a Route 66 kind of chap myself
What we don't want is a massive ground sat with sections closed for run of the mill games.
get to 25K and we would probably be about right for most games.
I still get fooking livid every time is see that twitch face coont on the telly. I also get annoyed with the yoof who didn't have to go through all the bullsh;t with him and spuds, romanticising how they 'miss' him.

I probably need professional help  Tongue
(16-02-2024, 07:50 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I still get fooking livid every time is see that twitch face coont on the telly. I also get annoyed with the yoof who didn't have to go through all the bullsh;t with him and spuds, romanticising how they 'miss' him.

I probably need professional help  Tongue

yep!

have a pint or three of Pompey Royeux and chill out instead
A 25,000 capacity will never be big enough when we are doing well. Our current capacity of 20,000 is a joke.

The Derby home game on April 1st only has 12 seats single seats left for it, a game which is 6 weeks away.

No question we would sell 30,000 for that game, as an example.

We really need a capacity around 30,000 ASAP.
(16-02-2024, 07:56 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]A 25,000 capacity will never be big enough when we are doing well. Our current capacity of 20,000 is a joke.

The Derby home game on April 1st only has 12 seats single seats left for it, a game which is 6 weeks away.

No we don't. We need to get into the Championship asap, then consolidate for 2-3 years. Then see where we're at and how many tickets we sell when we're just mid-table (hopefully) for a year or so. Then think about building a bigger stadium if our numbers still support/sustain it. That's how business works. I assume you've never been in business - always easy to spend other people's money!
(16-02-2024, 08:35 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-02-2024, 07:56 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]A 25,000 capacity will never be big enough when we are doing well. Our current capacity of 20,000 is a joke.

No we don't. We need to get into the Championship asap, then consolidate for 2-3 years. Then see where we're at and how many tickets we sell when we're just mid-table (hopefully) for a year or so. Then think about building a bigger stadium if our numbers still support/sustain it. That's how business works. I assume you've never been in business - always easy to spend other people's money!

You clearly don't understand business.

I travel all over the world on business.

It is pointless correcting someone like you because you won't listen. You do not have a clue.
I’m thinking of buying Reading. Do you think it would be a good investment?

I could pay cash.
Buy it for £5 as El Tel bought us, and it's probably a good investment.
Actually it was £1.

That's business!
(16-02-2024, 08:43 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-02-2024, 08:35 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]

You clearly don't understand business.

I travel all over the world on business.

It is pointless correcting someone like you because you won't listen. You do not have a clue.
OK, let's draw you out of the woodwork. I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong), that you're a salesman travelling around. But there's a big difference between "travelling" on business and "running" a business. In my case, I ran my first £1B business before I was 30, and have run many since. I've also sat on numerous company boards including multi-nationals, so I think I know what I'm talking about in business.
Then on football, I've been watching/supporting Portsmouth for 65 years, and held a season ticket 22 of the last 24 years despite living 90 miles away. So I've seen us through thick and thin. I've seen us struggling to get 12,000 a week, and even when we were in the Prem we often didn't sell out. Ditto this season. You're right, we could probably sell 30,000 for the last game or two this season, but it has to be sustainable. I doubt we'll regularly sell more than 20,000 a game next season if we don't do too well. Fans are fickle! We both want to see us promoted (even though you've said numerous times we won't), and we'd want to see us do well. But never again should we invest stupid money and risk bankruptcy. I fully support the Eisner's strategy.
Pages: 1 2