TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Danny Cowley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So if it turns out to be him what targets, other than playing players in their correct position, an understanding of tactics, plans a,b and c and entertaining football, should he have to get the job full-time?
Well, I suppose the most obvious target to achieve would be promotion (almost certainly via The Playoffs I guess), looking at the last few weeks results that would be a very significant achievement. If promotion was achieved and it was allied to the football that the fans desire (attacking, entertaining etc) I think offering a two year contract would be reasonable.

Promotion may prove to be beyond Cowley in which case the match day performances, early moves towards a coaching scheme actually targeted to develop players skills and really engaging with the fans might be decent benchmarks to judge him by.

There only a few factors in any appointments which really matter, football or otherwise, one should be of overriding importance with two others dovetailing to achieve the key benchmarks, if Cowley meets them, sign him up.
According to NewsNow, it looks that his 3 month trial will start on Saturday against Ipswich.

Just Thursday and Friday to work with the players and then in at the deep end.

I guess he is in front of a TV watching as many replays as possible (better him than me watching the near endless crap we’ve played since Xmas), Saturday and last evening must have left him with the feeling that the only way is up !

Deebo

It won’t take much watching to find out what went wrong - ten minutes of any of the last few matches will provide the clues.
(17-03-2021, 01:57 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]According to NewsNow, it looks that his 3 month trial will start on Saturday against Ipswich.

Just Thursday and Friday to work with the players and then in at the deep end.

I guess he is in front of a TV watching as many replays as possible (better him than me watching the near endless crap we’ve played since Xmas), Saturday and last evening must have left him with the feeling that the only way is up !

I remember he was on the EFL show on Quest around christmas when we were top and he said he thought we were good enough to stay there. He must think the squad is decent and that is why he was keen enough to come without getting the longer contract he wanted.
Shows confidence in his ability to take on a 12 game challenge. Pity he has no strikers, fit or otherwise, to work with. Jacobs injured again as well.
(17-03-2021, 02:41 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Shows confidence in his ability to take on a 12 game challenge. Pity he has no strikers, fit or otherwise, to work with. Jacobs injured again as well.

No strikers? What difference did they ever make???!!
(17-03-2021, 02:49 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2021, 02:41 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Shows confidence in his ability to take on a 12 game challenge. Pity he has no strikers, fit or otherwise, to work with. Jacobs injured again as well.

No strikers? What difference did they ever make???!!

Exactly my point
(17-03-2021, 02:01 PM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]It won’t take much watching to find out what went wrong - ten minutes of any of the last few matches will provide the clues.

Just watched the highlights & easy to analyse the problems.

Set pieces  - Not defending or taking at both ends.

Sort that out at The Roko & we're half - way there.

Football is basically an easy game to play.
I do wonder wtf Joe Gallen did in training with our squad, doesn't seem to be any reports of players staying behind to practice their shooting or any other techniques. All a bit lacking in commitment I feel.
No strikers - no problem if we play Total Football.

Deebo

Play Raggetino in the false 9 role.
I think his first role would be to rebuild player/ team confidence and morale. We still have a proper striker who is fit and plenty of others with more than enough ability for 1. They just need to be let loose and enjoy their football
Yes, all that this 3 months will show, will be how good at coaching/ getting his ideas across, and player motivation he is.

For me (for us anyway) performances are now more important than results. He is relatively hamstrung in terms of player selection because he has inherited a squad that isnt his.

What he can affect is how cohesive performances can become. Let's face it, they couldn't get much worse.
(17-03-2021, 04:38 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]He is relatively hamstrung in terms of player selection because he has inherited a squad that isnt his.

This is a team of players that has been up there for most of the season and even top briefly so there's enough there for him to work with, shouldn't be too much to complain about.
Let's hope they are proper disciplinarians and give them a right good hoofing
Interesting that Raggett played for him for some time at Lincoln, so thats one player of ours he will know well.

Also is there any sign as to whether his brother has come with him in some capacity as has happened at his previous clubs
I’m going to give him 12 games
Yes, it is a concern that he may have a soft spot for Raggett. Hopefully he'll be pragmatic when reviewing our defensive options available
(17-03-2021, 05:38 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting that Raggett played for him for some time at Lincoln, so thats one player of ours he will know well.

Also is there any sign as to whether his brother has come with him in some capacity as has happened at his previous clubs

Hopefully Raggett's confidence will improve under the manager he had his best success with.  Raggett's face and body language when entering the pitch  for the last few games has for me epitomised the lack of confidence throughout the team.   

And yes, his brother will be with him. He has always stated that he would not take any job on his own.
I kind of agree about the strikers. Take John Marquis for example, he was prolific at Doncaster, so what is the difference at Pompey? The previous manager who just allows his team to hoof the ball up the pitch and expect him to win a fifty-fifty ball in the air, bring it down and score from distance? The coaching and team set up has probably left JM with zero confidence, it's no wonder he has been poor recently. He has not become a poor striker overnight, that to me has been coached or beaten out of him.
I hope all our players will be allowed to play football like they should. Play them in their best positions and have a plan B or C FFS.
And yes there are some who should be let go or sold at the end of the season.
Not my choice for manager, but he is now OUR manager so lets get behind him!
PUP.
"And yes, his brother will be with him. He has always stated that he would not take any job on his own".

BOGOF, innit!