TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Player ratings for Charlton.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Norris. Some good saves and some dodgy distribution (one excellent pass to Lane). 7
Ogilvie. Steady as she goes. 7.5
Shockers. Hmmm. 5.5
Raggett. Some sloppy passing. 6
Rafferty. Steady, with some good runs outside. 7.5
Pack. Not quite on it with his passing. 6.5
Moxon. Excellent first half but not so dominant in the second. 7
Lane. Still not as impressed with him on the left. 6
Lang. One awful miss and not so much of a threat. Rightly replaced. 6
Bishop. One shot he could have got better but otherwise battled well. 7
Kamara. Very steady throughout. 7.5

Sparkes. Offered something going forward and puts in a tackle 6.5
MPH. I thought he was through but…….6
Yengi. Looked threatening on the ball but it never quite worked. 6.5

Martin. Perfect positioning and did nothing wrong 10
Martin always a threat. No player wants to be taken off in preference for him
Martin clear MOM
Thought the two wide players reverted to type today and focused too much on putting average crosses in rather than running at opponents, which has been so fruitful lately.
(24-02-2024, 08:50 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]Thought the two wide players reverted to type today and focused too much on putting  average crosses in rather than running at opponents, which has been so fruitful lately.

I could only tell from the radio commentary, but it sounded like we reverted to playing it slowly across the back. Whoever bought that into the British game should be outed and roundly abused on the internet and exported back to whence they came.
I thought Sean Raggett was immense today. (Likewise Bishop)

Won every tackle and every header. Yes, a couple of loose passes but he's not perfect!

My Man of the Match.
One things for sure,its a lot easier not to lose when you keep lean sheets and our setup does help with that, especially given a couple of defenders who love stopping the other side.
Hammie, they did the back and sideways passing a lot less yesterday than in other games. Both centre backs brought the ball forward quite often, Shockers particularly doing a few surging runs.
The News, gave Raggett and Shaughnessy 8 with Shaughnessy MOM.
Kin ell. Shaugnessy was average to poor yesterday, two glaring errors.

Raggett dropped a real clanger when he failed to spot May behind him. A relatively simple short pass to Rafferty was easily cut out and we were very fortunate to get away with it.

Personally, I thought MOM was bordering on Kamara (there’s a turnup, for me), not just for the threat he posed but for his excellent defensive work. I would have given it to Moxon but his second half performance didn’t match the first.
(25-02-2024, 10:03 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Kin ell. Shaugnessy was average to poor yesterday, two glaring errors.

Raggett dropped a real clanger when he failed to spot May behind him. A relatively simple short pass to Rafferty was easily cut out and we were very fortunate to get away with it.

You will never get perfection, you ask too much.

So there were a couple of mistakes, that doesn’t detract from the immense contribution both players make in every match they play, including yesterday.

You should concentrate on the positives, which far outweigh the negatives.
Totally missed the point, Gaff. These are player ratings based on their own standards and the level of football they’re playing. I’m not comparing them to PL players.

They’ve set a very high bar this season and I’ve marked them for the performances I saw on the pitch and comparative to the performances they’ve given us up until now.

Does that calm you down?
Raggett should have been given a call from Raffs that May was lurking. I thought both had really good games yesterday, although it’s true they both made a couple of errors. They were both immense in the air and snuffed out any Charlton threat. Bishop also chipped in defensively clearing three or four corners.
(25-02-2024, 11:33 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Totally missed the point, Gaff. These are player ratings based on their own standards and the level of football they’re playing. I’m not comparing them to PL players.

They’ve set a very high bar this season and I’ve marked them for the performances I saw on the pitch and comparative to the performances they’ve given us up until now.

Does that calm you down?

Yeah Gaffer, talk about 'needie'!
(24-02-2024, 05:23 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Norris. Some good saves and some dodgy distribution (one excellent pass to Lane). 7
Ogilvie. Steady as she goes. 7.5
Shockers. Hmmm. 5.5
Raggett. Some sloppy passing. 6
Rafferty. Steady, with some good runs outside. 7.5
Pack. Not quite on it with his passing. 6.5
Moxon. Excellent first half but not so dominant in the second. 7
Lane. Still not as impressed with him on the left. 6
Lang. One awful miss and not so much of a threat. Rightly replaced. 6
Bishop. One shot he could have got better but otherwise battled well. 7
Kamara. Very steady throughout. 7.5

Sparkes. Offered something going forward and puts in a tackle 6.5
MPH. I thought he was through but…….6
Yengi. Looked threatening on the ball but it never quite worked. 6.5

Martin. Perfect positioning and did nothing wrong 10

I don't think any of them deserved more than 7 really. I thought they were too negative and outmuscled by the opposition. It reminded me of Port Vale, Fleetwood and Cambridge away. 
If Derby and Bolton hadn't both lost I think we'd be thinking a lot more differently about yesterday's game. Anyway it didn't and they missed the opportunity thankfully.
I pretty much give the whole defence 8 if they keep a clean sheet. I'm old fashioned enough to think that is their primary role. If they are following orders to pass about in dangerous situations, maybe the manager should be the one to get marked down?
We needed a goal, and we left Yengi on the bench till the 73min!.

Looking forward to Anjorin coming back, we need other threats from the bench....
Off the pitch, there seemed to be a lot of plod on the way to the station and ridiculous numbers on the way back after the match.

Did anyone else hear the (I assume London Pompey) song about the Met Police?

Very timely with the Sarah Everard inquiry this week.