TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: RIP Stan Bowles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another legend goes. Stan was in the mould of Best, Worthington, Rodney Marsh. They don’t seem to make them like that anymore.
(25-02-2024, 05:49 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Another legend goes. Stan was in the mould of Best, Worthington, Rodney Marsh. They don’t seem to make them like that anymore.

Fantastic player, a joy to watch.

Cheers for the memories Stan. RIP
When football loved a maverick. RIP Stan.
I remember reading he was late for a QPR match due to being at the betting office lol
RIP Stan
(25-02-2024, 09:35 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]When football loved a maverick. RIP Stan.

Sadly they are coached out of it by the age of 12 these days.
Replaced Rodney Marsh at QPR when Pompey were in the same league. On paper anyway.
(25-02-2024, 01:37 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]I remember reading he was late for a QPR match due to being at the betting office lol
RIP Stan

I saw an interview with him and apparently he often turned up just in time for kick off because he’d been in the bookies just down the road from the ground. Apparently the other players covered for him but the boss knew what was going on, as long as Stan produced the goods he didn’t care.
(25-02-2024, 04:54 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-02-2024, 01:37 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]I remember reading he was late for a QPR match due to being at the betting office lol
RIP Stan

I saw an interview with him and apparently he often turned up just in time for kick off because he’d been in the bookies just down the road from the ground. Apparently the other players covered for him but the boss knew what was going on, as long as Stan produced the goods he didn’t care.

They used to say that Ballie pulled Mick Channon off early not because he was getting leggy by the time he came to us but because he could his and Ballie's racing results by the time the game was over
What’s the famous quote from one of his former managers?
If he could pass a betting shop like he can pass a football he’d be a rich man.
One of an elite club.