TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Set Piece Goals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm part of the Portsea Island diaspora and don't get to many games these days. I've been wondering for a while though why our set piece goals seem to have dried-up?

IIRC in the first part of the season we were scoring regularly (for Pompey anyway) from corners and the odd free kick into the box.  That doesn't seem to be happening, or am I making that up?

Also when was the last time we scored direct from a free kick outside the box?  I think the Carlisle poster on here said Moxon has a decent free kick in him.  Would be great to see.
Lovely word, diaspora.

Can’t wait to use it.
Moxon did take a couple of decent corners and so did Sparks when he came on.
Pack scored one direct… last season?
Not sure why, as its Shocks and Raggs who generally score the headers and they are both playing.
There was a time before Xmas when Sparkes took the corners and shocks got then of a couple of times. Maybe Poole is proving a miss there too.
Very Good Observation Tihk. The answer is that our delivery at Set pieces has suffered since a certain player didn't have his contract renewed at the end of last season. I wonder who that was?
Don't think he'd get a look-in in this team, Mikey
Mikey Is that the L2 player or the non league player?that would make a difference at the top of L1.
Would that be the player who got a stunning THREE assists last season?

Yeah, we need him back.
(25-02-2024, 07:32 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Very Good Observation Tihk. The answer is that our delivery at Set pieces has suffered since a certain player didn't have his contract renewed at the end of last season. I wonder who that was?

FFS the issue being dicussed here was the high number of goals we scored in  the first half of this season having dried up recently.  It was a feature of this season that we were scoring from set pieces whereas last season we didn't. 

Your favourite non-league player is nothing to do with it (other than being part of us not scoring from set pieces last season)
Well done Deep you've highlighted the reason! Sparkes then injured & is an attacking FB who can whip in crosses at speed. We just don't still have a Set Piece Master do we? I'm Not suggesting a recall just pointing out it all went down hill after the end of last season.

Only 3 assists Cunni Not sure where you got that one from! Robertson should be the player to deliver but maybe Moxon is better equipped only time will tell. Div 2 player next season BTW all.
Guy told me.
Mikey, what went downhill after the end of last season? I would wager we have scored more goals from set pieces this season than last and certainly the league position has gone uphill.
(26-02-2024, 08:28 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Well done Deep you've highlighted the reason! Sparkes then injured & is an attacking FB who can whip in crosses at speed. We just don't still have a Set Piece Master do we? I'm Not suggesting a recall just pointing out it all went down hill after the end of last season.

Only 3 assists Cunni Not sure where you got that one from! Robertson should be the player to deliver but maybe Moxon is better equipped only time will tell. Div 2 player next season BTW all.

But it didn't go downhill after the end of last season. We scored more from set pieces in the the first half of this season than we have for years. It went sharply up hill this season but now seems to have paused. Sparkes set pieces were part of that, but so were Rafferty's and Pack's.  

The most likely reason for the recent decline is that opposition teams do such a good forensic job on analysing our strengths and are making special efforts to mark the likes of Raggett & Shaughnessy.   And Poole's injury won't have helped.
(27-02-2024, 06:40 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-02-2024, 08:28 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Well done Deep you've highlighted the reason! Sparkes then injured & is an attacking FB who can whip in crosses at speed. We just don't still have a Set Piece Master do we? I'm Not suggesting a recall just pointing out it all went down hill after the end of last season.

But it didn't go downhill after the end of last season. We scored more from set pieces in the the first half of this season than we have for years. It went sharply up hill this season but now seems to have paused. Sparkes set pieces were part of that, but so were Rafferty's and Pack's.  

The most likely reason for the recent decline is that opposition teams do such a good forensic job on analysing our strengths and are making special efforts to mark the likes of Raggett & Shaughnessy.   And Poole's injury won't have helped.

This.
 It’s why I asked the question. We’ve been notoriously shite for years at free kicks and corners, to the point that the goal kick is expected. That changed early season, and it’s apparently fallen away. I wonder the extent the players practise in training?
Jacobs scores!
Who ?
We did score from a long throw after years of trying
Shockers has had a fair few opportunities lately. He just hasn’t been as clinical.

Both he (and Bishop) will score more.

Raggett hasn’t been far away either.
Yeah, Rags couldn't stop scoring a while ago.
(28-02-2024, 01:16 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, Rags couldn't stop scoring a while ago.

He could easily go on a run once more, Shockers too.