TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Richard Hughes Signings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Look at the ages.
We signed those younger players as an investment.
Our fan base in the last ten years or longer has been really harsh on young players making their way. We need to improve that or we will see a load more potentially decent players get frightened off and go elsewhere to eventually thrive.
Not convinced that an U23 set up would improve them either.
I can't be the only one to notice that the signings prior to Richard Hughes coming in are largely our current automatic starting eleven.
Personally I think that this is indicative of the view that nearly all players needing six to twelve months to settle in properly.
(26-02-2024, 11:21 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]I can't be the only one to notice that the signings prior to Richard Hughes coming in are largely our current automatic starting eleven.
Personally I think that this is indicative of the view that nearly all players needing six to twelve months to settle in properly.

Cook went on about that. He commented that Pompey had far to fast a turnover of players for them ever to be really comfortable playing at home, especially lower league types.
As regards younger players it is a big move coming down here, although well payed, their generation is very young as compared to us lot years ago. We all started work at 16 and grew up and became adults probably ten years younger than now.
A very interesting thread. Thanks to Mr. E for that research. 

I would just like to add that while Hughes and M have made some good signings, that 1 in 2 hit rate mentioned by Slayer has only been made possible by the greater commitment of Eisner to the playing squad this season. The quantity of players brought in through both windows has made the difference alongside having a good manager. Perhaps, while talking about Hughes' successes - and regardless of the yet-to-be-decided outcome of the season - it is the manager who has proved to be his bravest and best signing.
All these "bad" signings have been with us less than a year. I think it's a little early to make such judgements.

Even the best recruiter in the world isn't going to have a 100% success rate. If these signings make no impact before they leave then you can make a call then but you cannot judge on a few months when their has been such strong competition for places.
(25-02-2024, 07:50 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]Next season I would prefer to keep Raggett as cover with Poole, Shaughnessy and McIntyre.

Towler is not a Championship player.

Who have we got who are definite Championship quality? Defence is mostly ok, but in the striker area I'd say we seem very lacking. Huh
We certainly view individual players in various shades ....

For me MOXON is a very sound addition, and Jack SPARKES young, and good to keep.

And SAYDEE ? - I have watched him trying hard, and obviously wants to do well, so may come good.
I am bullish about this. I think the current squad as-is* could survive relegation from the Championship. We would be bottom dwellers but surely there would be worse than us including at minimum one Premiership relegation failing to aclimate.

It would give at least two windows to raise the quality bar and allow the current new intake to settle into Pompey life.

* yes I know a boatload of them are out of contract come season's end.
(26-02-2024, 09:11 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Look at the ages.
Our fan base in the last ten years or longer has been really harsh on young players making their way. We need to improve that or we will see a load more potentially decent players get frightened off and go elsewhere to eventually thrive.

I could only think of one Jed Wallace and maybe Adam Webster at a push in the last 10 years.

I must say, I think Matt Clarke plus £750,000 was a great deal!.

Who else have we given a hard time too?....

I have been to most home games in the last 10 years..... Apart from during the Scamdemic and the odd occasion!.
Careful
(27-02-2024, 06:42 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]

I could only think of one Jed Wallace and maybe Adam Webster at a push in the last 10 years.

I have been to most home games in the last 10 years..... Apart from during the Scamdemic and the odd occasion!.

I hated the way we treated Butler.
Hard to give other names but as a rule some of us react very harshly to an honest trier who makes mistakes, far more than we did in the past, quite possibly related to allowing drinking in the ground once more? an hour or more since the last drink tends to calm the temper of some fans.
I don't think we are as bad as we make out.

We didn't harang Chaplin.

We didn't harang Wallace.

We were good by Marc Wilson too. I remember him getting caught in possession away from home, we conceded, the fans supported him and I remember his hand of acknowledgement and second applause for it.

The ones who we think should be pushing harder and doing better got criticised.

We don't tolerate strollers and dossers.
(27-02-2024, 06:42 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]

Drew Talbot. He may have been a bit gash, but the way in which fans of this club ripped apart the confidence of a young player playing in an exceptionally shit team was hugely disappointing. I remember his last game and all those who bated him before he'd even taken a kick should be hugely ashamed of themselves.
Talbot was 30, I think.
Drew Talbot was ripped apart and bereft of confidence. He exhibited nothing that would 'endear' himself to the fratton faithful.
We love a trier, see Tait, Burns Etal. But he was not even that.
Turbulent times indeed but he is part of the history of this club and here we are today.
A young vibrant team looking upwards
(28-02-2024, 01:28 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Drew Talbot was ripped apart and bereft of confidence. He exhibited nothing that would 'endear' himself to the fratton faithful.
We love a trier, see Tait, Burns Etal. But he was not even that.
Turbulent times indeed but he is part of the history of this club and here we are today.

I stand corrected on Talbotx age. I always thought he was a yoingster. But 9 games is hardly enough to gauge his effort levels and certainly nothing justified his treatment on that last hame of his. 

I remember people hating Carl tiler too (again not as a kid). 

In fairness, its not too many.
(28-02-2024, 02:20 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-02-2024, 01:28 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Drew Talbot was ripped apart and bereft of confidence. He exhibited nothing that would 'endear' himself to the fratton faithful.
We love a trier, see Tait, Burns Etal. But he was not even that. I

I stand corrected on Talbotx age. I always thought he was a yoingster. But 9 games is hardly enough to gauge his effort levels and certainly nothing justified his treatment on that last hame of his. 

I remember people hating Carl tiler too (again not as a kid). 

In fairness, its not too many.

Carl Tiler was not only a bad player himself, he also ruined the careers of players around him. I think Scott Hailey was one and he nearly did it to Linvoy, but was injured before he managed it. The criticism of him was fully justified.
Pages: 1 2