TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Sunderland
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nicely poised for automatic promotion. It just goes to show how effective changing manager at the right time can be.
Here's hoping! Assuming we don't go up this season would best outcome be Hull, Pbro and Sunderland going up to get them out of our way with Wycombe, Rotherham plus, I guess Sheff Wed (financial turmoil) coming down?
With their super-rich twenty one year old owner (well, Mum is bankrolling him) you wouldn’t bet against back to back promotions to The Premiership either.

I’m with Forever and would like to see the back of Posh, Sunderland and Hull (but I will have a Fiver on Posh being relegated straight back and surely their pitch is a disgrace and shouldn’t be tolerated in The Championship)
(18-03-2021, 07:08 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Nicely poised for automatic promotion. It just goes to show how effective changing manager at the right time can be.

I backed them to win the league just after they beat us. They had the look of a team with unstoppable momentum, whereas everyone else up there has dodgy runs of form. 

Hull & Sunderland for the automatics.  The play-offs are a lottery but if we reach them I'd fancy us above Peterborough who didn't look all that on Tuesday. Otherwise Charlton always seem to do well in play-offs if they get there.
I think Sunderland could get nervous as soon as they break into the top 2. They are bottlers (just like us).

I think it will be a case of who can drag themselves over the line on their hands & knees rather than anyone blowing teams away.

And I think that's league 1 in a nutshell lol
(18-03-2021, 10:32 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-03-2021, 07:08 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Nicely poised for automatic promotion. It just goes to show how effective changing manager at the right time can be.

I backed them to win the league just after they beat us. They had the look of a team with unstoppable momentum, whereas everyone else up there has dodgy runs of form. 

Hull & Sunderland for the automatics.  The play-offs are a lottery but if we reach them I'd fancy us above Peterborough who didn't look all that on Tuesday. Otherwise Charlton always seem to do well in play-offs if they get there.

Yep, pretty much this.  Much as i will hate to see it i think the Mackems will finish top.
If their performance against us was anything to go by, that will demonstrate how poor this league is this season. They were pretty ordinary but better than us.
I’m going with Hull, Sunderland and us ( via playoffs)
I am going with Sunderland, Hull and then Peterborough doing it in the play offs
a late run to 6th is always the best way to win the play offs which hacks me off as it rewards mediocre teams. 3rd should go direct to the final getting some reward for being better. 4th/5th play of to meet them.
(19-03-2021, 10:20 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]a late run to 6th is always the best way to win the play offs which hacks me off as it rewards mediocre teams. 3rd should go direct to the final getting some reward for being better. 4th/5th play of to meet them.

True. I always liked the idea of a play off between, lets say, 3rd in league one and 3rd bottom in Championship for the right to play in higher level. I seem to remember something like that happening between Prem and Champ in the early days. I do acknowledge that the play off system keeps the season alive much later for more teams.
I have no problem with the current playoff system. Third place still represents a failure to go up automatically. Why should a third placed team be rewarded with any sort of advantage over 6th place? It would imply that 4th and 5th places should receive an advantage too.
I'm not sure I quite understand what you have said here about advantage, sorry. I wouldn't involve 4th, 5th or 6th at all. I would have 2 up 2 down with a straight play off between team 22 in the Champ with team 3 in league one for the right to play in the Champ. But the rules as they stand are fine, everyone knows what they are when the season starts and everyone is fine with them. The beauty of the 4 team play off is it keeps many teams / fans interested until late in the season. I have to say I don't like the National league system where it seems half the league gets involved in play offs.
I've never liked the playoffs and am not just saying this because of our own appalling record in them. A league should award the most consistent teams the highest rewards in my opinion, which means in the current scheme of things the top 3 would be promoted, no questions asked. If you want to add a more random, unpredictable element into the equation, then you have cup competitions. Don't get me wrong, i fully understand the idea behind playoffs (keeps more teams interested in promotion, creates a end of season finale  with potential trip to Wemberly etc etc) but why should a team that finished 6th in the league get promotion over a team or teams that has performed better than them over a long season? Also, let's face it, most playoff are mindblowingly tedious affairs.