TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cheltenham posting losses. Does a part-time League Two seem possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Being well run in League One, which I think Cheltenham are, simply isn't enough it seems. Although they made a profit of £412K last year, this year, despite remaining in League One, they have posted a loss of £531K.

Headline numbers are that their salary costs have increased by £418K and admin up by over £200K. Without an owner regularly injecting money (which is a dead end business model), a club of this size, with average home attendances of about 4,000, is no longer viable at League One level.

Whilst the National League is mostly full-time there are some clubs that have part-time players in it.  Surely with these numbers it can't be long before some teams in League Two go part-time.
(01-03-2024, 12:06 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Being well run in League One, which I think Cheltenham are, simply isn't enough it seems. Although they made a profit of £412K last year, this year, despite remaining in League One, they have posted a loss of £531K.

Headline numbers are that their salary costs have increased by £418K and admin up by over £200K. Without an owner regularly injecting money (which is a dead end business model), a club of this size, with average home attendances of about 4,000, is no longer viable at League One level.

Whilst the National League is mostly full-time there are some clubs that have part-time players in it.  Surely with these numbers it can't be long before some teams in League Two go part-time.

If losses of 500k make a team non-viable then there would be only a handful of clubs left in the Premiership or Championship, yet alone League 1.
Deep - For a side of that size, it's a pretty high number compared with turnover. For a premier league or championship side the turnover, net revenue, EBITDA and all other indicators are far, far higher so it is significantly less impactful.

Couple of seasons at that loss level without cover from owners and they are unable to pay debtors, HMRC etc and ergo, they are gone.

The point is, given the level of losses experienced even at a well run club, has the time come for League Two to consider part-time as an option?
While that is concerning , its time for the government to appoint the so callled independant regulator mush, to help clubs like
Cheltenham, as the prem sit on untold riches, clubs in the lower leagues suffer, we need all the clubs in the efl to survive, and the prem needs to stump up the cash PDQ, otherwise there will be more clubs that fall out of the league, like the 20 or so that have been lost over the last few years, teams like southend, oldham, barnet etc
The regulation needs to be to make wages reflect income. Agents need to be paid by their player, not the club, ditto the PFA union.
Although if wage are to reflect income, I'm not sure where that leaves the women's' game.
Over 20000 watching Pompey women v Newcy last week, Hammie.
(01-03-2024, 07:29 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Over 20000 watching Pompey women v Newcy last week, Hammie.

It’s different but not without its attraction. Men or women, if they put on the royal blue of Pompey, then they are Pompey. While my two sons weren’t good enough,(like most of us) to get a run out at Fratton Park. Now I’ve got a granddaughter, there’s hope still Big Grin