TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Pompey passion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What a brilliant end to the game on Saturday, my only moan is that this doesn't happen enough. If all of you old enough to remember when we were seven points adrift under Alan Ball and the whole crowd sang " Alan Balls blue and white army" loud and constantly, I'll never forget those times, makes the hairs stand up just thinking of it. I think the best chant is" blue army " but like Saturday when the whole crowd are singing it but at different times, it really fired up our boys and really intimidates the opposition. I think Joe Rafferty was man of the match by a mile , some of his tackling was incredible and really got the fans going, his passion at the final whistle when he almost dived into the North terrace was an incredible moment. It's within touching distance now, we just have to keep our nerve, the players are going to get nervous and make mistakes as the prize gets nearer and this is where us as fans can make all the difference.  Come on you blues,  Play up Pompey !!!
Days like Saturdays are why you go.
It’s always easy to be passionate when you’re top of the league.

To do it when your backs are to the wall, that’s when it counts.

That Stockport game will always stay with me and I was one of the few.
Yes cunning, I also was at the Stockport game, that will live with me forever, had tears in my eyes on the way out !!
It was an almost overwhelming experience.

Only football ffs but……
The last time I remember Fratton Park really really really rocking like that was when we beat Wigan there in the 17/18 season when we looked like mounting a playoff push out of nowhere (that went nowhere). That was insanely loud, I think there was a clip recorded by a dogwalker who could hear it three miles away or something mad like that.
There is a recording of the sound, taken from Hayling Island.
I too was at the Stockport game, the best ever for me as regards "ordinary games"
Took a week for my hands to recover. I seem to recall the News report saying something like
"A wave of emotion fit to float an Isle of Wight Ferry"
Alan Ball had that effect on those of us who followed his team all over.
Pompey two Scummers nil, hallelujah! was also a pretty good game!
Back then we always had the best atmosphere when fewer fans were there pretty much. When all the moaners turned out on Boxing day and the like, it was always pretty poor.
(05-03-2024, 05:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I too was at the Stockport game, the best ever for me as regards "ordinary games"
Took a week for my hands to recover. I seem to recall the News report saying something like
Pompey two Scummers nil, hallelujah!    was also a pretty good game!
Back then we always had the best atmosphere when fewer fans were there pretty much. When all the moaners turned out on Boxing day and the like, it was always pretty poor.

Yep I was there too and it was excellent but there have been quite a few games over the years that have been memorable for the atmosphere generated.

Pompey have great fans and they are second to none in their support of the team.

We are lucky.

PUP
(05-03-2024, 05:46 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2024, 05:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I too was at the Stockport game, the best ever for me as regards "ordinary games"
Pompey two Scummers nil, hallelujah!    was also a pretty good game!

Yep I was there too and it was excellent but there have been quite a few games over the years that have been memorable for the atmosphere generated.

Pompey have great fans and they are second to none in their support of the team.

We are lucky.

PUP
I think the A C Milan tops any game Ive seen at Fratton for atmosphere and volume
The 4.1 defeat of the Scummers that Sunday lunch time is one I won't forget. The abuse Jamie Redknapp took when he ran over to take a 2nd half corner (right wing FE/North Stand) was incredible. The Cheltenham 6.1 win when clinching the title was also amazing. We were all celebrating but the game at Grimsby was still ongoing. Thankfully Argyle didn't score, tickled pink at how the EFL had to get the trophy from Grimsby to Southsea for the Sunday afternoon
(04-03-2024, 08:23 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]It’s always easy to be passionate when you’re top of the league.

To do it when your backs are to the wall, that’s when it counts.

That Stockport game will always stay with me and I was one of the few.

Few???? That was at least 35,000 with queues down Goldsmith avenue Wink
The only time Liverpool were the away team at Anfield. Bob Paisley.
(05-03-2024, 09:56 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]The only time Liverpool were the away team at Anfield. Bob Paisley.

That was some night. Tick-a-tape was incredible. 14500 Pompey at Anfield for a midweek game!
The Liverpool echo said yhe following day

Liverpool win away!
(05-03-2024, 10:24 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]The Liverpool echo said yhe following day

Liverpool win away!

4th Division Pompey, midweek away. What a night! For the Liverpool semi at Highbury the only ticket I could get my hands on was in the seats in the Liverpool section. Having a beer in the concourse pre game with a few scousers. One was giving it the bigun, only a little game for them against a little team blah, blah, blah. The patronising coont, another one , bless him, went , la I remember when they came to Anfield and was very complimentary. Mr patronising coont, was having none of it. Right on cue, bearing in mind we are inside the stand and can’t see the ground, the clock end must have been filled and the first chorus of the Chimes started! Fook me it was loud, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and everyone on that concourse went silent for a couple of seconds, such was the noise! Me and Mr arrogant coont, had a locked eyes moment and I couldn’t help myself, I said “sounds like the little clubs turned up then” ! Priceless! 

Ps. The scarf and the ten pound bet is another story lo.
(05-03-2024, 09:56 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]The only time Liverpool were the away team at Anfield. Bob Paisley.

That was an incredible night.  Smile
Didn’t make the Stockport game but did go to Anfield. One of my best Pompey memories despite losing 4-1. Loved those ticker tape welcomes.
I was just coming upto my 13th birthday and like other friends, gad bunked off school and went off up north for the night.
As long as we got there, we couldn't care less after the evening.
Having dodged the barriers we made it onto a train and just sat in an area. There were conductors be we just blagged them by saying our dad's were drinking together in another area of the train.
We changed trains snd did the same. At Liverpool we turned up at anfield the old boys got us in one way or another
To be fair to the scouse ticket men, they let us in anyways.
Pompey demonstrated to Liverpool that night that 'we' were the real deal when it came to singing.
The police collected us up and other kids like myself and friends and put us back on a train, fed and watered us and then once in pompey, took us back to our homes in the back of vans.
There must have been 10 or 15 vans with kids in being returned to parents who had no idea where there kids had been. Certainly, my own mother knew nothing about it and had assumed I'd gone to bed early. The fact l left a letter on my bedroom board letting her know I had gone to Liverpool was still there.
Yes, she was surprised and six months later I was in a RN boarding school to finish my schooling because things were going awry at home with me spending time travelling and fighting at weekends.
I will always thank her for that but I didn't at the time.
(06-03-2024, 01:22 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]I was just coming upto my 13th birthday and like other friends, gad bunked off school and went off up north for the night.
Having dodged the barriers we made it onto a train and just sat in an area. There were conductors be we just blagged them by saying our dad's were drinking together in another area of the train.
We changed trains snd did the same. At Liverpool we turned up at anfield the old boys got us in one way or another
Pompey demonstrated to Liverpool that night that 'we' were the real deal when it came to singing.
The police collected us up and other kids like myself and friends and put us back on a train, fed and watered us and then once in pompey, took us back to our homes in the back of vans.
There must have been 10 or 15 vans with kids in being returned to parents who had no idea where there kids had been. Certainly, my own mother knew nothing about it and had assumed I'd gone to bed early. The fact l left a letter on my bedroom board letting her know I had gone to Liverpool was still there.
Yes, she was surprised and six months later I was in a RN boarding school to finish my schooling because things were going awry at home with me spending time travelling and fighting at weekends.
With whatever differences any of us might have, we are all Pompey. Some of the best times of our lives have been spent in the company of good people following this club. Portsmouth Football Club has always felt (to me anyway) so much more than just a mere football club. It’s a huge part of our community, it is the city of Portsmouth. That’s what makes it special.
(06-03-2024, 03:32 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2024, 01:22 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]I was just coming upto my 13th birthday and like other friends, gad bunked off school and went off up north for the night.
With whatever differences any of us might have, we are all Pompey. Some of the best times of our lives have been spent in the company of good people following this club. Portsmouth Football Club has always felt (to me anyway) so much more than just a mere football club. It’s a huge part of our community, it is the city of Portsmouth. That’s what makes it special.

Dead right mate, that is what makes it so special.