TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Favourite goals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(08-03-2024, 10:15 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2024, 05:34 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Losing at home to Man City then last few minutes, an equaliser and then the winner, and as I recall, cannoned into the fratton end top corner by the immortal Pedro Mendes !

Your memory is half right.  

Mendes'  equaliser came with about half an hour to go, but the winner was in the last minute and that goal must be on this list because it kick-started the great escape.

All the goals mentioned in this thread were superb and bring back great memories.

The Mendes goal was incredible though, especially given the importance of it. 

I can remember almost taking off when that one went in  Big Grin .
(08-03-2024, 11:09 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2024, 05:34 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Losing at home to Man City then last few minutes, an equaliser and then the winner, and as I recall, cannoned into the fratton end top corner by the immortal Pedro Mendes !

Mendes'  equaliser came with about half an hour to go, but the winner was in the last minute and that goal must be on this list because it kick-started the great escape.

All the goals mentioned in this thread were superb and bring back great memories.

The Mendes goal was incredible though, especially given the importance of it. 

I can remember almost taking off when that one went in  Big Grin .
Sitting side on, in the North Stand, it wasn't going in and then it suddenly dipped and went in. Quite something.

Your memory is also half right. 
Mendes put us 1 up.
City equalised late on.
Mendes then won it even later on.
(08-03-2024, 06:30 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]

Your memory is also half right. 
Mendes put us 1 up.
City equalised late on.
Mendes then won it even later on.

Indeed
Well done Bill. 2 very special goals in that game. 
Really glad I started this thread as I have been reminded of some I had forgotten. Probably because he was my all-time favourite Pompey player, Biley's pair just take overall top billing for me but you could put a case forward for any of those mentioned. Reminders indeed of what a great club this is to follow at a fantastic time to be a Pompey fan.
City equalise
City fans "going down going down going down"
Pompey fans "so are we so are we so are we"
Mendes scores
Pompey fans "we are staying up say we are staying up".

And we did.
Toddy v Burnley and jumping in the FE. And Kaboul against Milan, that was hallucinogenic…
Most Bizarre but talked about - Aaron Flahavan were he collapsed (Swindon i think) and no one had a clue what happened

Can I have a disallowed one as well to the list -

Guy Whittingham disallowed 100th goal against Fulham - remember the whole of Fratton park going mental for all of 2 minutes until it got ruled out, such a moment of joy in an otherwise crappy season
Yes disallowed goals. Jeff Hemmerman winner against Middlesbrough 31,743 FA Cup 3rd round 1980, well should have been the winner!!
Yes disallowed goals.

Kranjcar v Arsenal.
Win would've put us in Europe.
Graham Poll going out on a high note by overruling the linesman and wrongly disallowing it.

However, had we got into Europe that year, we'd likely not have won the cup the next.
For the occasion, not the quality;

1. Mike Trebilcock's equaliser against Arsenal in the FA Cup
2. Kanu's goal at Wembley
3. Lua Lua's strike against the scum

Also my favourire goal celebrations are;

1. Mike Trebilcock's equaliser against Arsenal in the FA Cup - double somersault
2. Kanu's goal at Wembley - jinky dance
3. Lua Lua's strike against the scum - backward flips
My favourite was the rio ferdinand OG at Fratton Park. Funny as fook.

This is the berger goal slayer mentioned. Sublime:
https://youtu.be/xmQkgW9sgJ4?si=yRAcBufm09pdd2Sp
Another thunderbolt against charlton:
https://youtu.be/0Gc5HJRH5SU?si=wdG-o5m3t_BDH1kw

WE ARE STAYING UP
WE ARE STAUING UP
Mike Trebilcock equalising against Arsenal in the cup 1971. A moment of hesitation in front of an open goal. Then rapture. Bob Wilson smiling as he turned to lift the ball from the net.
Ah, apologies WAI - you've already bagged that one. Probably worth a double mention though - one for each somersault.
Pages: 1 2