TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Joel Ward and Asmir Begovic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Both out of contract in the summer
Wardo is from Emsworth isn't he? Does he still have the legs? Could maybe move into a holding midfield role alongside pack?
(06-03-2024, 11:00 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Wardo is from Emsworth isn't he? Does he still have the legs? Could maybe move into a holding midfield role alongside pack?

Aged 34 & 36 respectively. 

No thankyou.
If and when we return to the Championship Joel would be a good bet - however he is , at present, a Premiership player so fee-wise for next season may (still) be too high.
I’d rather have Matt Ritchie back as a player coach
(06-03-2024, 11:00 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Wardo is from Emsworth isn't he? Does he still have the legs? Could maybe move into a holding midfield role alongside pack?

Why would you play a player who during his whole career has been a RB in CM??
(07-03-2024, 05:52 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Because his legs have gone and you do less running in that position.
(07-03-2024, 07:11 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]

Prefer a proper CM myself.
I would take them both at the right price. Affinity for Pompey might well buy them at a lower price than anyone else could? Both would be stepping down from the Premier League and would bring invaluable experience for our acclimation season. Jamo was older than Begovic is now when we took him. Nothing wrong with an older keeper.
Can not see either fitting the model Pompey are adopting of seeking young players to develop and to benefit financially regarding sell on fees. I think it far more likely that we will look at some of the younger players who have competed well against us this season and try to 'cherry pick' from League 1 teams.
It's hard to make a case for signing either beyind sentiment.
Sure if we are already stocked then no interest.

But we have a whole host of players out of contract in the summer, we will need some experience at a new level and I dare speculate the two names mentioned will be open to cheeky offers on rates
(07-03-2024, 07:11 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]

CDM may cover less ground than a RWB but a box to box CM will cover far more than a RB.

I watch Palace quite a bit and for Pompey to sign Ward for anything other than a defensive coaching role or to assist with the U18 squad would be a step backwards.
(08-03-2024, 10:17 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to make a case for signing either beyind sentiment.

Quite. And our recruitment team will not let sentiment dictate their plans. They truly won't give a flying one.