TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The B Teams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Showed why they’re B teams.

I still reckon Bolton aren’t going to make it but Barnsley came an almighty cropper against a resurgent Lincoln side who are doing their best to turn around a mediocre season. Can Barnsley maintain a drive for an auto place?
Lincoln away last day for us.
Worries me if we haven't got promotion sewn up by then.
if they have something to play for it could be tricky, if already on their sunbeds, less so.
Something sinister and self inflicted needs to happen for us not to be promoted with a couple of games to spare
(10-03-2024, 09:54 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]if they have something to play for it could be tricky, if already on their sunbeds, less so.

Trouble is Hammie, for me, the on-the-beach theory was blown out of the water when Cowley just needed to beat Accrington to claim a lay off spot in 2021. Accrington had nothing to play for but out-fought us at home to claim a gutting victory.
We always win at Lincoln
(10-03-2024, 11:27 AM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]We always win at Lincoln

Famous  last words  Rolleyes
(10-03-2024, 11:26 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2024, 09:54 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]if they have something to play for it could be tricky, if already on their sunbeds, less so.

Trouble is Hammie, for me, the on-the-beach theory was blown out of the water when Cowley just needed to beat Accrington to claim a lay off spot in 2021. Accrington had nothing to play for but out-fought us at home to claim a gutting victory.

Don't think there is and comparison between us failing to make the play-offs three years ago and our current position.
However the closer we get the harder it gets solely because of the ridiculius injury situation.
Full credit to the owners, Mouseman and the players keeping us at top of the league despite all these setbacks.
A few weeks ago I believed that we couldn't afford any more injuries so the loss of Ogilvie and Lang for several weeks and possibly Sparkes as well. If you add that to our extraordinarily difficult run-in then I'm thinking, at absolute best, second place behind Derby.
Unfortunately, I'm a glass half full man. It can't be helped I'm afraid probably due to 55years supporting Pompey but my biggest fear is the play-offs.
The key is win the two home six pointers against Barnsley and Derby and take a point at Peterboro and Bolton.
Every game is a Cup Final now and on Tuesday if Sparkes is not fit, Towler will have to step up and with no left-back that lends itself to three at the back. Personally I'd drop Bishop back into the Lang role in behind Yengi and play Moxon to give us a bit more stability. Saydee isn't a starter, he's an impact player coming off the bench. PUP
Wighty, I think you mean you're a glass half empty man. You seem pesimistic
Accies at home that day was about the most pathetic performance I can remember. did we have the mighty Charlie Daniels that day? I cannot see this team and manager letting something like that happen again.
(10-03-2024, 12:14 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]

Don't think there is and comparison between us failing to make the play-offs three years ago and our current position.
However the closer we get the harder it gets solely because of the ridiculius injury situation.
Full credit to the owners, Mouseman and the players keeping us at top of the league despite all these setbacks.
A few weeks ago I believed that we couldn't afford any more injuries so the loss of Ogilvie and Lang for several weeks and possibly Sparkes as well. If you add that to our extraordinarily difficult run-in then I'm thinking, at absolute best, second place behind Derby.
Unfortunately, I'm a glass half full man. It can't be helped I'm afraid probably due to 55years supporting Pompey but my biggest fear is the play-offs.
The key is win the two home six pointers against Barnsley and Derby and take a point at Peterboro and Bolton.
Every game is a Cup Final now and on Tuesday if Sparkes is not fit, Towler will have to step up and with no left-back that lends itself to three at the back. Personally I'd drop Bishop back into the Lang role in behind Yengi and play Moxon to give us a bit more stability. Saydee isn't a starter, he's an impact player coming off the bench. PUP

You are on drugs if you think we can remain unbeaten v Peterborough, Bolton, Derby and Barnsley with our current injury list.  No chance. Near enough impossible.

The key is actually to win the games against Burton, Shrewsbury, Wigan etc.

I think 90 points will be needed for 2nd place.
Your recent track record of predictions is awful Titch. A layman choosing an outcome at random would score more hits. Didn't you say you had played?
(10-03-2024, 12:31 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Wighty, I think you mean you're a glass half empty man. You seem pesimistic

He makes Peds, of last season, seem like a ray of sunshine. He might just about raise a grin if we finish top.

Yet he got a contract off the back of that showing.
Farcical.
(10-03-2024, 05:33 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]

Yet he got a contract off the back of that showing.
Farcical.

Having demonstrated the fact that he couldn't get us in the play-offs, the club wasted another two years confirming the fact!
I think Cullen learned a big lesson there.
It was the whole facade of "a season of transition" that everyone bought into.
Absolute con.
I think we all see how wrong we are about the Cowleys now. I think coming in after Jackettball got them a lot of undeserved goodwill, were we pleased to see them or the back of Jackett and literally anything with an ounce of charm afterwards? We are now on the path to take our rightful place amongst fair company and we will be separated by a division or more from both Jackett and the Cowleys nest season, as we really should be.
I still don't think the Cowley era was entirely without benefit. I credit them somewhat for pointing us in the right direction off the pitch and I feel that they had a stronger League One's to try and get out of than the ones Jackett had. They also weren't backed as heavily as Jackett or Mous.

On the pitch was a bit haphazard though. Experimenting with 3 at the back with wing backs was a disaster, the Cowley's kept tinkering around, playing Curtis in the wrong position and then hilariously we ended up playing meat and potatoes 442 for much of their final season after all that theory.

There were times that we looked amazing. Playing a high energy high pressing style that suffocated opponents. The trouble is that in a 46 game season without an amazing squad it wasn't sustainable and they really didn't have a plan B. The over reliance on loans at their behest was a problem too.
(10-03-2024, 07:14 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]we will be separated by a division or more from both Jackett and the Cowleys nest season, as we really should be.

Hopefully 2 from Jackett and possibly 3 from the Cowleys who still have a job on to stop their return to non-league being complete.
If we go up this season Cowley will deserve some of the praise for that because he brought in the likes of Rafferty, Ogilvie, Pack, Morrell, Lowery & Bishop who have been a major part of the success this year.
(10-03-2024, 02:28 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2024, 12:14 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]

You are on drugs if you think we can remain unbeaten v Peterborough, Bolton, Derby and Barnsley with our current injury list.  No chance. Near enough impossible.

The key is actually to win the games against Burton, Shrewsbury, Wigan etc.

I think 90 points will be needed for 2nd place.

Many apologies, yes I did mean half empty....proves someone read it though!!
I'm only on prescribed drugs but thanks for taking an interest.
The outcome of the games against the 'big four' is an aim not a prediction although you are talking about a team that hasn't lost against any of these sides this season.
I think that more than 90 points will be required for automatic promotion.