TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The greatest ever British goal scorer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had th privilege to watch him alongside Alan Gilzean @ White heart lane

https://www.facebook.com/TheSpursExpress...7583766801
Linky not working but I'm guessing it's Jimmy Greaves. I also watched him regularly when I was a nipper at the old ground. Loved Alan (gilly the flick) Gilzean too. Appy days
My very first away game Spurs in the 1967 Fa cup we lost 3-1 and both Greaves and Gilzean scored, nearly 58k crowd.
(11-03-2024, 05:12 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]My very first away game Spurs in the 1967 Fa cup we lost 3-1 and both Greaves and Gilzean scored, nearly 58k crowd.

I think Dennis Edwards scored for us. Later to become a fisjh and chip owner in Copner Road
It won't happen, of course, but apparently "Non-Pompey chat will be removed".

If only there was another Forum...........
Gilzean, great player. Looked about 50 even when he was a youngster. Chivers good player too.
Was expecting this to be about Guy Whittingham.
(11-03-2024, 06:47 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Chivers good player too.

But a Scummer.
I'd place Dixie Dean ahead of Jimmy Greaves. 60 league goals in a top-flight season and a better career scoring rate than Greavsie.
(11-03-2024, 07:38 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]I'd place Dixie Dean ahead of Jimmy Greaves. 60 league goals in a top-flight season and a better career scoring rate than Greavsie.
Maybe, but as his last game was 86 years ago I doubt anyone on this forum ever saw him - except WUM of course ;-)
Brian Clough was ( supposedly) a great striker
(11-03-2024, 05:57 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2024, 05:12 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]My very first away game Spurs in the 1967 Fa cup we lost 3-1 and both Greaves and Gilzean scored, nearly 58k crowd.

I think Dennis Edwards scored for us. Later to become a fisjh and chip owner in Copner Road

I was there, and Spurs were too good. Edwards (and his handbag) scored perhaps the greatest left foot shot from outside the box at Fratton Park that I saw at Fratton.

Shearer and Wrighty were for me the best British scorers. Denis Law was the best fox in the box.

It was Richie Reynolds who became Ocean Swell  Fish & Chip shop owner in Copnor Road. I remember a supporter shouting " Chip him Dick" as he ran through on goal, only for some wit to immediately comment " Fish him Dick" as the ball sailed over the bar

Denis Edwards was founder of a food distribution company in Hilsea - it is still trading as a family business.

Daisy  or "Dobbin" Edwards famously hit the old Fratton End clock from 5 yards out  Big Grin
Think Harry Kane has to be up there with the best. 
Can't help thinking his record would have been better if he moved on from Spurs a few years earlier.
(11-03-2024, 10:30 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

It was Richie Reynolds who became Ocean Swell  Fish & Chip shop owner in Copnor Road. I remember a supporter shouting " Chip him Dick" as he ran through on goal, only for some wit to immediately comment " Fish him Dick"  as the ball sailed over the bar 

Denis Edwards was founder of a food distribution company in Hilsea - it is still trading as a family business.

Daisy  or "Dobbin" Edwards famously hit the old Fratton End clock from 5 yards out  Big Grin

That miss at the Fratton End remains the worst miss I have seen in 62 years attending matches at Fratton Park. It defied the laws of Physics.
(12-03-2024, 08:24 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2024, 10:30 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

It was Richie Reynolds who became Ocean Swell  Fish & Chip shop owner in Copnor Road. I remember a supporter shouting " Chip him Dick" as he ran through on goal, only for some wit to immediately comment " Fish him Dick"  as the ball sailed over the bar 

That miss at the Fratton End remains the worst miss I have seen in 62 years attending matches at Fratton Park. It defied the laws has been given despite a lot of competition over the years.

That is worthy praise considering the high number of potential alternatives over the last 62 years!

I suppose the modern contender would be quashie - who could hit that FE clock for fun from 30 yards if the Russians hadn't knocked it.*

* can't remember exactly when it disappeared so might be technically wrong here.
(12-03-2024, 06:21 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2024, 06:03 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]It won't happen, of course, but apparently "Non-Pompey chat will be removed".

Big Grin We cannot help it if some overly feminine whelp cannot handle a big boys debate and has to run to admin, crying his eyes out to get it shut down Big Grin

You already caused a wipeout of two boards Smirnoff, why continue like this? It's so childish. Time to grow up a bit and stay on topic.
(11-03-2024, 04:37 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]Linky not working but I'm guessing it's Jimmy Greaves. I also watched him regularly when I was a nipper at the old ground. Loved Alan (gilly the flick) Gilzean too. Appy days

Not sure why the link isn't working. Rolleyes
And yes, Greavsey
(12-03-2024, 11:25 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2024, 10:11 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2024, 06:21 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2024, 06:03 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]It won't happen, of course, but apparently "Non-Pompey chat will be removed".

Big Grin We cannot help it if some overly feminine whelp cannot handle a big boys debate and has to run to admin, crying his eyes out to get it shut down Big Grin

You already caused a wipeout of two boards Smirnoff, why continue like this? It's so childish. Time to grow up a bit and stay on topic.

Cut the crap ffs.

HE didn’t cause the wipeout if two boards, the likes of you did.

Pandering to the wilfully fragile is always a bad idea.

Anyway, back to the football, it will be tough tonight and a win will be welcome.

On the topic, there have been many great British goal scorers and it is impossible to say who was best. They played in different eras under different sets of rules in essentially different games. They were all great in their time.

And another one who having helped cause the loss of two boards cannot just let this board be. Please stop being so childish.

Yes, & a really nice guy who I chatted with on a regular basis when working in Pompey.