TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 11 academy players released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...ed-4560556

The academy hasn't really been producing lately. The lack of an under 21's side doesn't help.
The article mentioned, no point keeping them for 3 years if they were not expected to be first team ready in that time. Seems fair enough as and until we have a reserve set up.
Then again, almost all of the U23 players we have borrowed seem completely unprepared for men's football on the whole too.
Lack of opportunity and pathway within the club. There was a focus on the Academy when Cowley was around and he gave the academy quite a lot of support and time. Maybe the club should just come out and say that since Cowley left the total focus of the club was achieving promotion and staying in the championship once there. So no place for developing and gambling on youngsters anytime in the near future - would be more honest and probably acceptable to the fan base (although this would not be a good message to hear for those thinking about signing a scholarship for next season)

The U18's are in the EFL Youth Alliance Cup National final to be played sometime in April and have been told they can't go on trial or loan anytime within the 7 days before this event as it's the first time in the clubs history they have made it this far in the competition. Irony is the whole starting 11 and possibly the cup winning team could be made up of players that are being released by the club. Hopefully they will get a fitting send off it this fixture is played at Fratton.
It is a shame , however, I just feel that the system is changing. There’s not a lot of profit ( and LBH that’s what it’s about) in having U18/21/23 sides. The top clubs scour the world and throw stupid money at taking a gamble on 15-19yr old players.
Although heart breaking for many, I feel the best way is for clubs ( like Pompey) to run scholarship/ apprenticeships and at the end they pick those they think have a chance. The rest if good enough can filter through the non league system. There are players earning 45/50 k in what would be Div 6 ( the tier H&W are in). The players who are on scholarships etc at the top clubs who don’t get taken on, generally filter down to L1/ L2.
Other than that I’m not sure what the ideal situation is.
However, getting good vibes concerning our new scouting team and the number of releases ( great shame though it is) does not come anywhere near the annual carnage of academy players by some Premiership teams.
We could well end up with 4 first team squad members from the academy in the next year, with Steward , Mottoh, Jewitt-White and Dockerill all having good chances.  That would not be a shabby return for the academy in its current state.
We could well end up with 4 first team squad members from the academy in the next year, with Steward , Mottoh, Jewitt-White and Dockerill all having good chances.  That would not be a shabby return for the academy in its current state.
Ockham's razor suggests they were all below par.

Disappointed about Destiny Ojo. No idea what his standard is but what a stripper name that is
(20-03-2024, 02:08 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]We could well end up with 4 first team squad members from the academy in the next year, with Steward , Mottoh, Jewitt-White and Dockerill all having good chances.  That would not be a shabby return for the academy in its current state.

Toby Steward has done very well at Turktown Borough - is being offered a new contract by PFC- get him out on loan to a Div 2 club or National Conference next year. 

Josh Dockerill had a one year but almost immediately suffered an ACL - expect to be given another year - starting with 6 month loan to National Conference to see whether he can make it. 

Koby Mottoh is being given two weeks training with first team to show his worth & earn a contract.  Would expect same as Josh Dockerill if he gets one. 

Seen HJW 4/5 times at H & W. Neat & tidy on the ball but far too lightweight & one footed. Not a stand out perfomer at that level so expect him to be released.
All the time prem are allowed to steal players from other academies there is hardly any point running an expensive system where the best will be taken anyway.
Needs the govt appointment to get that rule changed.
Following on from Cullen's latest report on his thoughts of forming an U21's, if Koby's agent has any sense he'll have him away from Pompey -

If the club hasn't made a decision by now then two weeks won't change anything - and the best he can get is a one year contract or a third year scholar and be loaned out to a step 3 or 4 club where he'll get to play on poor pitches and have opposition try to flatten him (hasn't been loaned out this year at all) - might work for a defender or centre forward who need to prove physicality but don't see how this is supposed to improve a player's technical ability for those who's game isn't built around physical strength.

From what i've heard there are two more ex Fulham academy players due to sign 1st year scholars for next season - If I was their parents I'd be thinking hard about signing up for when you know that unless you are extra special (which you are not as you have already been released by a Cat 1) then the club will have no interest 18 months down the line.
This bollocks is exactly why Spurs and Chelsea hoover up all the good talent in this area.

Come on in Brad Wall the water is lovely!
(21-03-2024, 11:38 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]This bollocks is exactly why Spurs and Chelsea hoover up all the good talent in this area.

Come on in Brad Wall the water is lovely!

but how many make it into their first teams?
It is I think an area we will have to sort out one way or another when we are in the Championship. Whether that is entirely dropping the academy entirely Brentford style or improving it and creating an under 21s team.

The scouting right now is excellent so maybe a B team is the answer, but that's even more expensive.
I suppose it all works out eventually. The top teams scout lower league academies and the lower leagues trawl the top teams castoffs.
Looks like the those released might have the chance one last showcase for scouts at Fratton Park

U18 Youth Alliance National Cup Final
Portsmouth U18 v Preston North End U18 pencilled in for 10th April 7pm KO
Hope it works out for the lads but unfortunately not everyone makes it
This happened to Lowe at Barnet. 2 years later he was with us. The rest is history.

Shoulders back, work hard
I'm sure one of ME's targets is to address the academy situation.

This has been neglected for far too long.

Running a 2nd team of some sorts U/21 makes real sense to have a supply chain for the 1s team.

It also gives an opportunity for players coming back from injury to gain game time.

We will need more training facilities though I guess.

What's happening with St John's playing fields on Eastern Road anyone?
Why do we need more training facilities. Do you read the club updates? They’re on the website and also Facebook. St. John’s playing fields would be too dodgy, too many cars and houses.
(29-03-2024, 03:24 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Why do we need more training facilities. Do you read the club updates? They’re on the website and also Facebook. St. John’s playing fields would be too dodgy, too many cars and houses.

O.k. i don't have the time to read everything!
Well stop posting shite like the need for more training facilities when you don’t know what we have in the first place. Din.
(29-03-2024, 11:15 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Well stop posting shite like the need for more training facilities when you don’t know what we have in the first place. Din.

No need to be rude.

You obviously spend a lot of time reading everything in the snooze!

I went on the O.S. after your original barrage & could find nothing about training ground developments.

Next time I'm down in the area I'll go to the Roko & see for myself.

The main point of my post which you appear to have completely missed is we need a competitive academy/U/23s.
(30-03-2024, 04:59 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-03-2024, 11:15 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Well stop posting shite like the need for more training facilities when you don’t know what we have in the first place. Din.

No need to be rude.

I went on the O.S. after your original barrage & could find nothing about training ground developments.

The main point of my post which you appear to have completely missed is we need a competitive academy/U/23s.

The Snooze journos are a bunch of bozos lots of page filling tripe is written. 

If you want to know anything about Pompey Health & Fitness Club ( Roko) ask me- I'm down there  swim or Gym 4/5 days a week.

The  PMC building team is at present fitting out new players gym, medical rooms, players lounge, managers & coaches rooms etc etc etc in the main building. It will all be ready for pre- season training at start of 24/25 season.

RH & Co obviously didn't think any of these 11 academy players were potential championship material- trust their judgement. I dont see any of the Academy cast offs from the last couple of years  making an impact anywhere.

You can't just click your fingers and expect a flourishing Academy & U23 team - you have to build the facilities & infrastructure.
(30-03-2024, 08:34 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-03-2024, 04:59 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]

No need to be rude.

The Snooze journos are a bunch of bozos lots of page filling tripe is written. 

If you want to know anything about Pompey Health & Fitness Club ( Roko) ask me- I'm down there  swim or Gym 4/5 days a week.

The  PMC building team is at present fitting out new players gym, medical rooms, players lounge, managers & coaches rooms etc etc etc in the main building. It will all be ready for pre- season training at start of 24/25 season.

RH & Co obviously didn't think any of these 11 academy players were potential championship material- trust their judgement. I dont see any of the Academy cast offs from the last couple of years  making an impact anywhere.

You can't just click your fingers and expect a flourishing Academy & U23 team - you have to build the facilities & infrastructure.
And as to the academy being neglected, have you seen how much has been done already?

Perhaps you should spend more time reading than writing, Mikey.
Pages: 1 2