TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Kamara
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What a performance today. He was all over their fullback for the whole game. I must say though, the challenge on him a few mins before he came off was a disgrace. I simply dont understand how those types of challenges are only yellow cards. The defender was never even going for the ball let alone getting anywhere near it!
I was hauled off on an Easter egg hunt so only got to see the 1st half and Kamara was a pain in their side from minute 1. Both he and Lane came out the blocks like they meant business. 

Reading some of the comments on here Lane didn't have a good 2nd half?
Another player who just 'gets' Pompey. His attitude is spot on and he doesn't shy away. It has been a feature of the season that the loan players have felt like Pompey players. Even with those for whom it hasn't quite worked out like MPH, the attitude and effort levels are strong. We did have some good loanees in the Cowley days too like Bazunu and Hirst, but you really couldn't imagine Kamara or Robertson now joining Southampton.
Lane had an average game for him, although it wasn’t helped by Norris just punting long hopeful balls up the left and expecting Lane to chase after them.
That is now apparantly 33 goal contributions shared between Lane and Kamara this season The pair of them have been excellent. With the struggles of Scully and Whyte for various reasons we'd have been a bit stuffed if those two hadn't fired.
Norwich could well be in play offs and feasibly get promoted.
I couldn't see Kamara getting too much Premier league game time yet.
Another loan in thr championship or even sell him to us!
We can hope!
To think that alot of us at different times have moaned our collective heads off him
He can still be very frustrating and he’s got a lot to learn but when has he’s going to be a helluva player.
(30-03-2024, 11:20 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Norwich could well be in play offs and feasibly get promoted.
We can hope!
To think that alot of us at different times have moaned our collective heads off him

Some of us saw the potential from the very off Yak2. Smile The lad has pace to burn, he just needed his positional play to improve a bit plus to keep a calm head in the final third. He's had an excellent season & I really hope we can land him permanently. he ticks all the boxes, young & with a potential big sell on value.
(30-03-2024, 11:26 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]He can still be very frustrating and he’s got a lot to learn but when has he’s going to be a helluva player.

He can but I also think he's a bit of a victim of his own success in some ways. His ability gets him into promising positions more often than others so there will inevitably be a higher number of these promising situations that don't result in a goal or assist. I like that lately his composure is much better. When the cross isn't on he doesn't panic and try and lash it in anyway, he keeps the ball and finds a better pass.
as he had two or even three men on him following the drinks break for the head injury against the post, he was fantastic yesterday. Shame we did not feed Lane the ball to take advantage of bodies being elsewhere. For his age he must be one of the best prospects in his position in the country. Hope he does not disappear back into the U23 system somewhere.
The irony is, the better he plays for us the less chance there is that he stays with us!
Basically, he's on a different level now. He had their FB on toast from the 1st minute. He's improving all the time & let's hope we can either have him on loan for another 12 months or even better buy him but he won't be cheap.
Let hope Naarch get promoted this season. Its the only way we're likely to get him again next year.
Lane is playing out of position to accommodate Kamara. If Kamara doesn’t stay, in my view, we have a player who is just as good (if not better, in final product) and he’s ours already.
(31-03-2024, 05:52 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Lane is playing out of position to accommodate Kamara. If Kamara doesn’t stay, in my view, we have a player who is just as good (if not better, in final product) and he’s ours already.

Big Grin When it comes to acknowledging Kamara's merits, you're like those Japanese soldiers hiding in the Philippines after WWII refusing believe it was over.
How good was the full-back yesterday? I seem to recall him roasting a full-back, at home, earlier this season, but the full-back was rubbish.
A little unfair, as I’ve already acknowledged his improvements.

He has superb ability but his final pass/shot/decision leaves a lot to be desired. I lost count of how many times Whittingham referred to his lack of control or his delaying making a decision. He is on the brink of brilliance but he isn’t there yet and I believe Lane is. Has Lane got that individual mercurial talent? No but he knows how to get the ball to someone in a position to score and he knows how to score; he doesn’t need an extra touch.

Would I take Kamara on permanently? You betcha. If he was ours, I’d take far more interest in him.
(30-03-2024, 11:28 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-03-2024, 11:20 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Norwich could well be in play offs and feasibly get promoted.
We can hope!

Some of us saw the potential from the very off Yak2. Smile The lad has pace to burn, he just needed his positional play to improve a bit plus to keep a calm head in the final third. He's had an excellent season & I really hope we can land him permanently. he ticks all the boxes, young & with a potential big sell on value.

We all have seen how good he can be but let's not beat around here.
We all wanted him to be given a rest, we have all been frustrated by Abu's inconsistency, the wingers disease!
However, he can be devastating and has bundles of talent that we have also seen
(31-03-2024, 08:18 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]A little unfair, as I’ve already acknowledged his improvements.

He has superb ability but his final pass/shot/decision leaves a lot to be desired. I lost count of how many times Whittingham referred to his lack of control or his delaying making a decision. He is on the brink of brilliance but he isn’t there yet and I believe Lane is. Has Lane got that individual mercurial talent? No but he knows how to get the ball to someone in a position to score and he knows how to score; he doesn’t need an extra touch.

Would I take Kamara on permanently? You betcha. If he was ours, I’d take far more interest in him.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek but I think it is fair to say you've been a rather hesitant convert to Kamara. I felt from very early on he was getting judged too harshly for someone who had only made three senior appearances before this season. Lane is three years older and more experienced and battle hardened having come to this club via a very different route. I think if he came through our own academy there would never really have been any doubts.

It has been an exceptional loan spell for all parties. Kamara has learned on the job, made a lot more appearances than he, Pompey and Norwich probably expected him to and he now knows (or hopefully will very shortly) what being part of a promotion side feels like. He has also fully bought into the club in a way that loans like Craptain Scarlett and Shagger Azeez never did. 

There may be a decision to make soon though. If (touch wood) things go well and we do wrap up promotion and the title with games to spare, we would then have to balance the probability of landing Kamara next season which is miniscule IMO against the need to have a look at players who definitely are under contract with us next season like Whyte and Scully.
I am actually more confident about the chances of signing Kamara. As to my ‘conversion’, you’re quite right and I’m still more hopeful than convinced.

He is far from the finished article and the chances of him having the same sort of success against PL defenders (or even Championship defenders for that matter) are pretty slim. His pace is going to be matched and his decision making is going to have to improve enormously.

If Norwich do get promoted then I reckon we’ve got a chance. They’ll need far far better than Kamara to stay up in the top flight. Kamara is still at least couple of seasons away from reaching his potential.
Still very lukewarm praise in the face of observable reality. His current teammates certainly aren't doubters and nor were some of the Wycombe fans who applauded him off. I think even some of the stock he gets for 'hesitating is a bit harsh at times. Sometimes it is better to wait for the right pass rather than drill an aimless ball in. At his current level he is more than good enough for Championship football and that's without another pre season.

Perhaps before about February, he was mainly potential, but lately it has been a whole lot of delivering. I would say that part of the problem is that he looks so so good at times that any mistake is extra frustrating and I do tend to agree with others that there have been times when resting him would have helped. He has though contributed enormously and that's even without mentioning the hard work he puts in tracking back.
(31-03-2024, 08:18 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]A little unfair, as I’ve already acknowledged his improvements.

Glad to hear you've been converted Cunni. If he'd been recalled by Nwch in January we'd have been in big trouble! Any team facing us will be working out how to try to stop him. Agree that he needs to improve his decision making & goal scoring but that will come.
If other teams focus on Kamara it is then down to us to make the most of other threats (Lane most obviously). That's where the captainon the ptich used to take charge. These days they seem more likely to get Norris to sit down while the rest take a drinks break and some extra coaching.
I’m staying consistent. He’s a kid . If he was consistent we wouldn’t have him. He’s way better than most in this division and we will do well to keep him. For the record, I’m not his agent. I want Norwich to go up with Ipswich and Leeds so we at least get another chance of a loan.As has been said earlier, I think he gets us snd has liked his time here.
(31-03-2024, 03:05 PM)TiHKAL Wrote: [ -> ]I’m staying consistent. He’s a kid . If he was consistent we wouldn’t have him. He’s way better than most in this division and we will do well to keep him. For the record, I’m not his agent. I want Norwich to go up with Ipswich and Leeds so we at least get another chance of a loan.As has been said earlier, I think he gets us snd has liked his time here.

I wish I was! We don't want to be playing against him next season.
Pages: 1 2