TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Lincoln beginning to look stupid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They are now 5 points behind the 6th placed side in Oxford who look like they are playing with a swagger again.
At this rate they will be out of contention inside one more game.
Will they give us more tickets now do we think?
(13-04-2024, 04:27 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]They are now 5 points behind the 6th placed side in Oxford who look like they are playing with a swagger again.
At this rate they will be out of contention inside one more game.
Will they give us more tickets now do we think?

And Lincolns' next game is Oxford away. They made a cracking go for it though.
if we are up and champs it could well be an end of season friendly, which are the worst games of the lot in my experience.
I have to ask, how many have you been on?
I went to Bradford!
That's it
Since about 1981 a fair few, home and away. Fortunately being Pompey we usually end up with a great escape or promotion finale.
Huddersfield, Bradford twice, Palace, Sunderland, Plymouth, many while stewarding on the coaches or selling programs at home. Lots of others, but the meaningless games have faded.
I do recall Peter Ellis having an end of season benefit against Villa. We went, sold programs, stayed for about 15 minutes and then went and played Snooker at the Rifle club. After a proper season (Alan Ball's lot I think) a friendly was even more pointless than usual.
Yeah, I've been supporting pompey since 79.
Your post said having become champs before the end of the season, the worst games of the season are the last in your experience.
So after becoming champs, which are the worst games in your experience?
I've been to Bradford and lost at home to Sheffield utd.
They aree two, how many more are there.
And BTW, we were not champs when we lost to Sheffield utd in last game.
Sheff utd was a massive come down. Entertaining with the skin head climbing the floodlight column but the game faded away with our team (being pissed they ran out of steam) and going up second was not as much fun as being champs.
Huddersfield (actually twice) was a let down once Charlton folded to Man City, and not much fun after with the locals heaving bricks at us while the police hid behind us. but all faded into insignificance as news came in about Bradford.
Later seasons faded into the disasters that were our play off games.
Under Fenwick and Gregory we must have had pointless games but then the whole seasons were.
So amend my comment to any pointless last game of the season with nothing to play for.
I thought so.
Fair play
Re the Sheffield Utd game Yes Pompey had been on the Pop from the moment promotion was confirmed but agree it was a massive comedown. People were locked out that afternoon, not a game remembered fondly
(13-04-2024, 07:42 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Sheff utd was a massive come down. Entertaining with the skin head climbing the floodlight column but the game faded away with our team (being pissed they ran out of steam) and going up second was not as much fun as being champs.
Huddersfield (actually twice) was a let down once Charlton folded to Man City, and not much fun after with the locals heaving bricks at us while the police hid behind us.  but all faded into insignificance as news came in about Bradford. 
Under Fenwick and Gregory we must have had pointless games but then the whole seasons were.
So amend my comment to any pointless last game of the season with nothing to play for.

On the Huddersfield 85 match there were some aggravated yorkies about post-match, especially for the 3 of us who were travelling North afterwards. 

We then changed trains in Leeds and bumped into Leeds fans just back from St Andrews, where there had been a riot. A lad was crushed to death by a collapsed wall in the ground as well as 500 other injuries as they and Birmingham really had at it. 

This was just a couple of week before Heysel. That plus the Bradford fire on the same day. 

May 85 - not the good old days at all.
(15-04-2024, 12:58 PM)Milkins Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-04-2024, 07:42 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Sheff utd was a massive come down. Entertaining with the skin head climbing the floodlight column but the game faded away with our team (being pissed they ran out of steam) and going up second was not as much fun as being champs.
Huddersfield (actually twice) was a let down once Charlton folded to Man City, and not much fun after with the locals heaving bricks at us while the police hid behind us.  but all faded into insignificance as news came in about Bradford. 

On the Huddersfield 85 match there were some aggravated yorkies about post-match, especially for the 3 of us who were travelling North afterwards. 

We then changed trains in Leeds and bumped into Leeds fans just back from St Andrews, where there had been a riot. A lad was crushed to death by a collapsed wall in the ground as well as 500 other injuries as they and Birmingham really had at it. 

This was just a couple of week before Heysel. That plus the Bradford fire on the same day. 

May 85 - not the good old days at all.

Quote right
Actually, many clubs ripped down the fences. Following all the fatalities, most fan behaviour improved almost over night. The government also forced all seating which helped CCTV to spot trouble.
Lincoln game is sold out by the way. Þ