TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: In the Championship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I said this team weren't good enough with the injuries to go up, and I said they lacked bottle. I was wrong. This team has amazing consistency and just finds a way to get results.

Eventually, I think Mousinho will go to the top, but hopefully we have him for at least a few more years yet and he can establish us in the championship. 

Mous will have his first promotion on his CV soon I think, hopefully on Tuesday. He's a great young manager.

Would be good if we could keep Kamara and or get Robertson back next season.

I don't think we would require major surgery in the championship. Add a few quality players and we should be able to stay up next season at least which has to be the goal.
Well credit to you for admitting you were wrong. Shame it took you so long to see what the rest of us could see. This is a damn fine team with a damn fine manager
I would see Swanson improving, Raffs has been great but might struggle to step up. With bringing in young to improve, I guess that is an issue in several positions, longer term.
Towler, yes out on loan as he must play regularly. Which means we need to bring in extra cover in the middle, champ ready.
I go back to Bobby Campbell's promotion team. When we went up the attack was mostly good enough, but he failed to upgrade the older players who lacked pace so we shipped goals all over the place.
Towards the end of this season, we have not often kept a clean sheet, so that needs looking at, and I don't just mean the defenders.
Mouse believes that the defenders have to cope one on one, would that still be the case in the champ?
For next season IMO I think we need two fullbacks ( L&R) with a bit of pace and experience. We’ll need a striker and a left winger. I’d also like us to bring back Robertson and Anjorin ( young and pacey), can’t see us getting Kamara. A central midfield of Pack, Robertson, Morrell , Moxon (?) and Evans ( who I think we’ll sign) should be enough. Hopefully Scully and Whyte will step up, but I can see us bringing in at least half a dozen players in the summer ,even if it’s to replace those whose contracts won’t be renewed.
I’d like us to try and get Sarmiento on loan from Brighton ( currently on loan at Ipswich), good pacey attacking midfielder.
(14-04-2024, 03:12 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Cheap scape ???? 

And it's a no to Jamal Lowe from me, he's too old now (30 by the time the season starts) and has done nothing of note for three whole seasons now.  His main asset was his pace, can't see him still having that at his age.

One thing is for sure with our recruitment now, sentimentality will not play any part whatsoever. If Jamal Lowe is back next season, it will purely because he is seen by the powers that be as a good option for us.
Jamal lowe scores goals in the championship would definitely be a good option if we can get him.

I’d imagine cameron brannagan will be big on Mousinho‘s wish list
(14-04-2024, 12:55 PM)I’m Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Lane is championship quality all day long. He has suffered a bit personally due to our tactics of getting Kamara 1 on 1 with his defender. Means lane isn't given so much focus to perform his trademark raids. I have no doubt he will excel next year. 

I would say the following will need replacing next season as a priority:

Loans:
Anjorin
Kamara
Robertson

3 absolutely fantastic loans this year, will take some hard work to replace. 

Our own players I would let go/replace:
Norris - Sorry but i don't rate him. Appreciate this may be controversial.
Whyte
Scully 
Stevenson
Towler - Desperately needs to be playing. Maybe a loan?
Martin
Evans

That's a list of 10 players. + MPH. Plenty for Hughsey etc Al to be working on.
I agree about Norris, he’s done really well this season but for some reason I’m just not 100% confident with him. I think we could get Anjorin and Robertson back on loan. I also think a contract will be offered to Evans. As regards left back I’d still have faith in Ogilvie, however, we really need a young defender with pace as the game is a lot quicker in the Championship. Regarding Lowe , I’m split 50/50 if I’m honest. Anyway I’m sure there’ll be lots of twists, turns and surprises during pre- season.
(14-04-2024, 05:47 AM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2024, 04:54 AM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, we are going to need quite a few new heads in a lot of positions to keep us up and be competitive. Think everyone can see that. Don’t want to come back down . I’m sure the club have targets in mind. Be a busy summer I think with a few going
I think I fundamentally disagree. First off, most of the current team & squad deserve the right to have a chance in the Championship. In addition we have Poole, Morrell, Lowry, McIntyre, White and hopefully Robertson (may even be Anjorin) all coming back to fitness. The last thing we need is to spend crazy money if it's not absolutely needed. We will almost certainly need a replacement for Karama (unless he puts Lane there with Sparkes on the left), and hopefully Pack has another year in him. We probably need a quality 3rd striker. Beyond that, I think we will be OK at least until the January transfer window. Even Raggett (who was MOTM again today) should have a chance to prove himself at the next level. For me, success next year will be (a) survival, (b) top half of bottom half, © bottom half of top half, ie consolidation. The time to spend money would then be the following year.
 Tonight’s performance so far would lead me to say I might have a point . New personnel needed for championship
On tonight so far, I can't say I disagree.
There will be a revolving door for sure.

There are a few people who we are going to have to put sentiment to one side over and say thanks and goodbye. The step up will be a bridge too far.

The rest of them though will be knocking the door down to sign back on with us and I am sure the feeling will be mutual.

I am sure we will bring in 7 or 8 new faces of quality at that level and we will give next year a bloody good go
Our last Championship fixture was a 2 nil defeat at Nottingham Forest. Our last home game in that division was a 2-1 loss to Derby. There's more than half a chance that both those teams will be there next season.
I would say just as an observation from recent games that we will probably need a bit of pace in defence in the championship. Maybe fatigue is playing it's part but the defence did looka bit sluggish at times against Barnsley's pacey wide men.
With winning it last night we will have a 2 week advantage and will be tapping up any potential free agents
We have a lot of work to do to get this squad ready but lets believe in the process.

Going to enjoy it either way.

Consolidation the key.
Other than youth players, this is the complete list of out of contract players as far as I am aware: Matt Macey, Ryan Schofield, Zak Swanson (option to extend), Joe Rafferty, Sean Raggett, Connor Ogilvie, Joe Morrell (option to extend), Marlon Pack, Lee Evans, Josh Martin, Liam Vincent.
Returning Loans: Myles Peart-Harris, Alex Robertson, Tino Anjorin, Abu Kamara.
If Norwich win the play offs maybe we could have Abu, Anjorin and Robertson all back next season. What would people feel about it? I would say yes to them all. I think if he can stay fit we are beginning to see something good about Tino, powerful and attacking intent.
Personally I wouldn’t have Kamara back. IMO he’s not championship standard yet, his body language is poor when things don’t go right and he rarely tackles. He plays well when the team is doing well, a luxury player at the moment
(17-04-2024, 09:59 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I wouldn’t have Kamara back. IMO he’s not championship standard yet, his body language is poor when things don’t go right and he rarely tackles. He plays well when the team is doing well, a luxury player at the moment

Absolute nonsense in my humble opinion.
If there’s one thing he does well it’s track back. He’s deceptively fast, can easily beat his man (hence he often has two or three on him) and has scored loads for a winger. Needs to improve his first touch, decision making and crossing. He’s deffo a championship player imo
18 goal contributions in his first season in men's football is astonishing especially with the workload he has been given. His development trajectory I think will mean he is a very good championship player next season.
(17-04-2024, 05:22 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]With winning it last night we will have a 2 week advantage and will be tapping up any potential free agents

And a 4 week advantage over the eventual L1 playoff winners! It’s a huge bonus to gain promotion via the autos, not only in terms of player recruitment but all the organizational aspects for the club involved in the step up to the Championship.
In Hughes we trust.
(14-04-2024, 05:05 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2024, 08:57 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]For me a new left Back, 2 wide players assuming Kamara goes back and a striker.

Why a new left back ?  Ogilvie has at least one more season in him.

His record this season is remarkable, we have not lost a match he has played in since March 2023 v Sheff Wed. The results in those games have been 

WWDWDDDWDDDWWWDDDWDWWDWWDWWWWDWWDWD

The stat is that Pompey haven't lost with Ogilvie in the team for just over 400 days! 

Hence Mous has to make him first name on te team sheet when fit!
(17-04-2024, 10:32 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-04-2024, 09:59 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I wouldn’t have Kamara back. IMO he’s not championship standard yet, his body language is poor when things don’t go right and he rarely tackles. He plays well when the team is doing well, a luxury player at the moment

Absolute nonsense in my humble opinion.

Totally agreed. He's more than fit for the Championship & on a different level to most Div 1 players.

He's young, very pacy, tackles back & has an eye for goal, a manager's dream!

Just needs to develop more under Mous & take more of the right options.

If he starts well next season after a good rest the Premiership Big Boys will be fighting for his signature.

Would love to be his agent!
Bit harsh imho, has improved massively as the season has gone on.
Pages: 1 2 3