TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The morning after the night before.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What a night. You could’ve cut the tension with a knife. A very poor performance from our boys until the 80th min then total rapture. Even JM says the performance is one to put to bed. I know it’s hard to be critical on such an historic night but too many players weren’t on their ‘A’ game which made for a jittery night. Kamara,Yengi, Whyte were poor and we were overrun in midfield. I must admit I was surprised at the initial lineup. As soon as Lang came on we improved and even more so with Lane and Bishop restored. 
Anyway, just my opinion and now looking forward to a stress free Saturday. 
Championees PUP.
Yengi may have been poor but he scored a cracker
Very true. Add Pack and Evans to the list of bad days at the office but all’s well that ends well. Yengi could be be a star in the Champ I think.
(17-04-2024, 09:54 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]What a night. You could’ve cut the tension with a knife. A very poor performance from our boys until the 80th min then total rapture. Even JM says the performance is one to put to bed. I know it’s hard to be critical on such an historic night but too many players weren’t on their ‘A’ game which made for a jittery night. Kamara,Yengi, Whyte were poor and we were overrun in midfield. I must admit I was surprised at the initial lineup. As soon as Lang came on we improved and even more so with Lane and Bishop restored. 
Anyway, just my opinion and now looking forward to a stress free Saturday. 
Championees PUP.

Yes, it seems churlish to criticize and it's all academic anyway but it was extraordinary how below par we were. Mousinho had no good reason to make five changes and we looked uncoordinated as a result with poor link-up play and missed passes. It was difficult to explain some of the changes - Swanson, Whyte in particular. Evans should have been our rock but even he looked lost. Maybe the occasion got to them a bit and we will see the team perform without pressure on Saturday. That said, Barnsley put in a real shift moving the ball around sharply and pressing high - all the things we're usually so good at.
If ever there was a game where the football didn't matter, it was his one. It was all about the result. It was a nervy display. A great experience for our young crop of future stars. 

Excited to see them now cut their teeth in the championship.
(17-04-2024, 10:41 AM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]Very true. Add Pack and Evans to the list of bad days at the office but all’s well that ends well. Yengi could be be a star in the Champ I think.

Pack set up the first and third goals. I thought changing 5 players for the game was too much against a team so strong away. Once we got back to the spine of the team we looked more comfortable. Barnsley were excellent and, as usual, our opponents were up for it.
Having now watched the moose's Post match interview on the news, he would also echo OP's comments...

But who cares?!! CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for a right old 'staying up scrap' next year!!!!
I just keep rewatching that winning header, he beat it in, get the fook in.
Barnsley and Bolton are 2 of the highest pressing teams in the division and we looked uncomfortable against it, especially against Bolton. Something to be looked at for next season.
(17-04-2024, 04:36 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]Barnsley and Bolton are 2 of the highest pressing teams in the division and we looked uncomfortable against it, especially against Bolton. Something to be looked at for next season.

Yes, and understanding that not all presses are equal. There are many different types and nuances both when pressing and when attempting to counter it.
Yes, against these intense pressing sides is where the loss of Poole is most felt. Raggett has been exceptional and deserves all the plaudits he gets, as does Shaughnessy but Poole is such a complete player and hopefully can be again.
I thought someone needed to pull Pack to one side and tell him to stop trying to win it on his own, I was worried he was going to get a red. I'd agree that once we got the main players on the pitch, especially Bishop. We settled down and started playing a more cohesive game.
Somewhere I read that we have added 27 points from goals at or after the 90th minute, that is astonishing.
(17-04-2024, 06:32 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I thought someone needed to pull Pack to one side and tell him to stop trying to win it on his own, I was worried he was going to get a red. I'd agree that once we got the main players on the pitch, especially Bishop. We settled down and started playing a more cohesive game.
Somewhere I read that we have added 27 points from goals at or after the 90th minute, that is astonishing.

One I read was that we have won 25 points from losing positions. That's only 5 points fewer than bottom side Carlisle have in total.
https://twitter.com/james_pfc/status/178...0747341086

Trying to ask a very very drunk Paddy Lane serious football related questions goes as well as you would imagine it. That boy is loving life right now.
(17-04-2024, 08:59 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/james_pfc/status/178...0747341086

Trying to ask a very very drunk Paddy Lane serious football related questions goes as well s you would imagine it. That boy is loving life right now.

Absolutely brilliant !!