TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Four things left to play for
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. 100 points
2. Better goal difference than Derby & Bolton
3. The fans
4. Pride in themselves
Promotion and being champions is merely the icing on the cake. What’s ever more special is that special feeling we’ve had all season. The one were that “Pompey “ feel is back. The club, the manager, the squad, the owners and the supporters, feel as one. Long may it last.
I can't bring myself to care about 100 points. I'd rather we just use the last few games to have a look at a fee fringe players to see who is worth holding on to next season.
Lincoln's opponents for the play offs wouldn't take too kindly to us putting out a "second" team thereby giving them an advantage. If the boot was on the other foot we wouldn't like it either.
(18-04-2024, 08:06 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Lincoln's opponents for the play offs wouldn't take too kindly to us putting out a "second" team thereby giving them an advantage. If the boot was on the other foot we wouldn't like it either.

I say tough shit. Their playoff competing rivals will have had 45 games by that point to secure a playoff spot by then. If they don't get there it's because they weren't good enough and not because we gave Josh Martin a runout.
Although one small thing to play for. We are unbeaten in British Summer Time since 2022.
(18-04-2024, 08:29 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Although one small thing to play for. We are unbeaten in British Summer Time since 2022.

There is no way the players who have got us here wont want to play the final two games, especially against wigan. I think we will play our strongest side both games.

Also dont forget about Bishop being 2 goals behind May in the running for top scorer. He will want to try and chase that down i imagine. The only player who hasnt really featured much who i think might get a game could be Towler. Mousinho and Pack have quite often referred to the fringe players and seemingly Towler and have said what a big part they have played.
Isn’t there talk of us being presented with the L1 Champions trophy after the Wigan game? In which case who wouldn’t want to play in our final home match of the season and soak up the adulation of the supporters?
(18-04-2024, 09:42 AM)PompeyBlue15 Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-04-2024, 08:29 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Although one small thing to play for. We are unbeaten in British Summer Time since 2022.

There is no way the players who have got us here wont want to play the final two games, especially against wigan. I think we will play our strongest side both games.

Also dont forget about Bishop being 2 goals behind May in the running for top scorer. He will want to try and chase that down i imagine. The only player who hasnt really featured much who i think might get a game could be Towler. Mousinho and Pack have quite often referred to the fringe players and seemingly Towler and have said what a big part they have played.

Bishop and Yengi will probably get a start each but there will be more changes than you think I reckon without going absolutely mad. Lane surely cannot be playing on Saturday. Sparkes will almost certainly get a go in one of these games.
TBH Josh Martin and MPH should be nowhere the squad. They've had one good game between the two of them. Feckin' useless.
(18-04-2024, 02:49 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]TBH Josh Martin and MPH should be nowhere the squad. They've had one good game between the two of them. Feckin' useless.

There's no obligation to play them of course but I think it is the right thing to do for various reasons. These games are utterly meaningless for I'd really with only bits of trivia on the line. MPH is a loanee and it wouldn't hurt to keep Brentford sweet by giving him some game time. Josh Martin can give Lane a break on the left and it would give him a little helping hand finding his next club.
(18-04-2024, 05:00 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-04-2024, 02:49 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]TBH Josh Martin and MPH should be nowhere the squad. They've had one good game between the two of them. Feckin' useless.

There's no obligation to play them of course but I think it is the right thing to do for various reasons. These games are utterly meaningless for I'd really with only bits of trivia on the line. MPH is a loanee and it wouldn't hurt to keep Brentford sweet by giving him some game time. Josh Martin can give Lane a break on the left and it would give him a little helping hand finding his next club.
If we're leading 5-0 with 20 mins to go, I agree with you. Otherwise we should go for a win without question in both games - we're not a friggin' charity.
(18-04-2024, 05:12 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]

If we're leading 5-0 with 20 mins to go, I agree with you. Otherwise we should go for a win without question in both games - we're not a friggin' charity.

I don't take that viewpoint. These games are our first pre season friendlies as far as I'm concerned. There's no need for the absolutely knackered Lane and Kamara to play certainly on Saturday, Scully isn't available I don't think so it should be Whyte on the right and A.N Other on the left wing whether that's Anjorin, Sparkes, MPH, Lang or Martin. Maybe even a more experimental formation too.
(18-04-2024, 05:58 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-04-2024, 05:12 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't take that viewpoint. These games are our first pre season friendlies as far as I'm concerned. There's no need for the absolutely knackered Lane and Kamara to play certainly on Saturday, Scully isn't available I don't think so it should be Whyte on the right and A.N Other on the left wing whether that's Anjorin, Sparkes, MPH, Lang or Martin. Maybe even a more experimental formation too.
Have a look at JM's interview in The News today. He makes it absolutely clear that they are going for 100 points. To answer your point, plenty of time for proper pre-season friendlies (rather than the non-league rubbish we normally play) which will be far more beneficial. Fine to leave out any player who is genuinely knackered, and there's an opportunity to give the likes of Towler & Sparkes 30 mins if necessary. I wouldn't bother much with the other bit-part players unless they are 100% fit and have played well in training.
(18-04-2024, 08:06 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Lincoln's opponents for the play offs wouldn't take too kindly to us putting out a "second" team thereby giving them an advantage. If the boot was on the other foot we wouldn't like it either.

We have lost out on promotion at least once that I can recall as a result of weakened teams. A long trip to Huddersfield to hear that Man City were given a walkover. Of course the news of the Bradford fire put it all into perspective, on the day they went to celebrate their own promotion. 
Mind you I think we might have helped a stripy team to lose out in our turn.