TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Football? Bloody hell!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, probably like everyone else, I've just about calmed down from Tuesday night's game. Bloody hell!!

There's been so much written about what a fantastic season it's been, and of course it has, but for me there are 2 factors that stand out above all others:

Firstly - The Eisner's

In all my many years of supporting PFC, this is the first and only time that I've felt we've had Owners who we can trust 100%. Not only have they done what they promised that evening at the Guildhall, but they've done it in a planned and sustainable manner which has got the Club set up both on and off the field in a manner which we've never had in my life time. 

Although I've said it before, I make no apologies for saying it again....thank you M & E Eisner.

Secondly - JM

Of course we've had title winning Managers before, but we've never had a Manager like JM before! What an ambassador he has been for the whole Club, the supporters, and the City.....sheer quality, and other Clubs (and supporters) must be looking on in envy at PFC having such a leader. 

John....take a bow Sir, and know that your place as a Pompey legend is already assured.
He is the first first time manager that I can recall succeeding at Pompey. The main reason I was unconvinced by his initial appointment.
A few such as Awfs and Whit did a good job to start with but could not maintain it. But almost entirely my memory of newbees is boring and ultimately losing football.
I thought he was a lucky general up until that Saydee sub a month or so ago. I thought wtf is he doing? and the coont finished a sublime move so what do I know?

Fully converted in my view after that and he has pulled a few more rabbits out of the hat with subs since.

IMO straight into the top 3 tactically astute Pompey managers in my time.
JM has united the players ,club and fanbase.As a rookie a remarkable achievement.The mentality of the players this season compared to previous seasons is on a different level.A season I have enjoyed like no other,although my memory may be playing tricks on me.Have met him a couple of times this season returning from games ,one of which was the Chesterfield game .Even then he was affable and willing to chat to fans although clearly disappointed .The second time was after the Peterborough game ,he was greeted with applause and cheers.He was again willing to pose for photos and chat to fans .We were convinced it was a pivotal moment in the season .He was clearly pleased by the result and performance that day but had a steely determination to finish the job.Deserves all the accolades he gets.Other clubs fans also have shown support and wished us well and it appears our football club and city are once again respected up and down the country .
Who needs Mourinho ? ....... we have got magic JOHN.
Seems really level-headed and articulate, something you can’t say of many in the world of football. He comes across really well in all interviews and obviously handles the players well, despite his ‘tender age’. Really good to see him mentioning fringe players like Towler. Borders on incredible the success he has had in his first year of management. 4 losses in 55 games. WTF???
I enjoyed the number of ex pompey lads posting their congratulations too. Danny Cowley particularly who apparantly messaged Mousinho privately in a lovely gesture. The DC era had many failures and I'm sad about that as he and his brother are clearly classy people. It wasn't all bad though seeing as a great many of key players in this squad were signed during his reign. He also definitely made the club feel closer to it's fanbase. We had more success under Jackett but the club often seemed aloof and frankly slightly annoyed by it's own fans.
The Cowleys did a lot right but sadly messed up the headline first team, having built what was capable of being a decent team.
Sadly his big loan signings did not want to be here. Actually that is probably the big difference this season, the loans all look like they seriously want to be here and succeed
3 out of the 4 ain’t bad.
(19-04-2024, 07:07 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The Cowleys did a lot right but sadly messed up the headline first team, having built what was capable of being a decent team.
Sadly his big loan signings did not want to be here. Actually that is probably the big difference this season, the loans all look like they seriously want to be here and succeed

The achievement this season was based on the groundwork done by the Cowleys signing the likes of Rafferty, Ogilvie, Pack, Morrell, Lowery and Bishop.  They may not have managed to achieve what they were aiming for on the pitch, but we would not have achieved what we did this year without the players they signed. 

Hughes & Mousinho finished what the Cowleys started so they are part of the reason for our success and we should nto forget that.
It was unfortunate for the cowleys that Hughes didn't arrive in time to help them. I felt their biggest weakness was with the recruitment strategy. 

I really wanted the cowleys to be a success here but unfortunately it wasn't to be.
When did we EVER have a manager who has plans A,B and C?
I bet he gas D and E stuck away for a rainy day
(19-04-2024, 07:07 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The Cowleys did a lot right but sadly messed up the headline first team, having built what was capable of being a decent team.

Loans are a good way of putting off a problem. This season we didn't really have that creative number 10 so Robertson filled that void so that we didn't spend over the odds on a permanent signing there when a really good option wasn't available. Kamara gave us cover in the positions behind the striker but then ended up being the co main man out wide along with Lane because Scully and Whyte haven't yet worked out. Anjorin would have been a key layer this season if injuries hadn't hampered him.

The trouble with having too many loans is that you are often delaying some problems that really need solving now. Depending on loanee goalies means you don't get the defensive cohesion every season. We got away with it with Bazunu but got expised with the woeful Griffiths. The other problem is that even if all those Cowley loanees had fired and got us promoted last season, what then? 

At that point you are then asking the Eisner's to fund something like 12 new signings at Championship level to cover the departing loanees who you are of course not getting a penny for. Not an easy task by any means. Alternatively you then have to rely on a load of loans in the Championship and the extreme example of how that can go is Nottingham Forest who basically had to spend absurd amounts of money to finish about 16th in the Prem.
Thinking Robertson
He was really excellent, but was not a goal threat.
When Lang arrived he gave us that extra energy and goal threat to push again.
Hopefully part of the loan plan was the possibility of having them here next year. Robertson will not get a chance at City so could well turn into a try before you buy.
Kamara is far less likely to sign permanently but bearing in mind that he has never played a game above third tier, stranger things have happened than him getting a move. I imagine we are hoping for another season on loan with the Canaries getting promoted next month.
(20-04-2024, 10:55 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

The achievement this season was based on the groundwork done by the Cowleys signing the likes of Rafferty, Ogilvie, Pack, Morrell, Lowery and Bishop.  They may not have managed to achieve what they were aiming for on the pitch, but we would not have achieved what we did this year without the players they signed. 

Hughes & Mousinho finished what the Cowleys started so they are part of the reason for our success and we should nto forget that.

Cowley seemed a really decent bloke, but what irritated me was, "what the heck does he need his brother with him for", and considered this a bit odd. For someone who wants Cowley they have to hire 2 people??
(21-04-2024, 04:00 AM)raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com Wrote: [ -> ]

Cowley seemed a really decent bloke, but what irritated me was, "what the heck does he need his brother with him for", and considered this a bit odd. For someone who wants Cowley they have to hire 2 people??
Almost all managers like to bring in their own assistants.
(21-04-2024, 05:44 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-04-2024, 04:00 AM)raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com Wrote: [ -> ]

Almost all managers like to bring in their own assistants.

Very true. I wouldn't mind betting that if Mous left he would want to take Harley with him.