TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Retained list
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Probably the hardest one of recent years who stays, who makes the step up

End of contract 

Lee Evans - good enough for a squad player but would need the right partner 
Marlon Pack - sign him up
Josh Martin - probably let go
Joe Rafferty - 50/50 been very solid this year but is he good enough for the championship also depends on the clubs signing targets 
Matt Macey - really pushed Norris to be better since he signed be a expensive sub keeper probably let go
Sean Raggett - always written off always some how comes good sign him up
conner Ogilvie - 50/50 been very solid this year but is he good enough for the championship also depends on the clubs signing targets 
Ryan schofield - see you later
Liam Vincent - see you later
Zak Swanson- club activate option
Joe Morrell- club activate option
I can only see Martin, Schofield and Vincent going . Macey will obviously depend on whether RH has other targets. As regards Rafferty, Raggett, Ogilvie I would guess it will depend on the length and terms of the contract offered.
(24-04-2024, 10:08 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Probably the hardest one of recent years who stays, who makes the step up

End of contract 

Lee Evans - good enough for a squad player but would need the right partner 
Marlon Pack - sign him up
Josh Martin - probably let go
Joe Rafferty - 50/50 been very solid this year but is he good enough for the championship also depends on the clubs signing targets 
Matt Macey - really pushed Norris to be better since he signed be a expensive sub keeper probably let go
Sean Raggett - always written off always some how comes good sign him up
conner Ogilvie - 50/50 been very solid this year but is he good enough for the championship also depends on the clubs signing targets 
Ryan schofield - see you later
Liam Vincent - see you later
Zak Swanson- club activate option
Joe Morrell- club activate option

No probably about Martin.
I wonder what they will do with Mnoga. I think he may have missed his window with us. Shame he may be another in a long list that didn't have their head screwed on well enough to fulfil his potential.
Failing to make the grade as a championship player isn’t really failure though. The ability to earn a living at any level (playing football) is something most of us could only dream about.
Lee Evans - already have a few central midfielders, he was only signed due to injuries and im sure we will add one of two more better quality midfielders. Let go.
Marlon Pack - new 2 year deal
Josh Martin - let go, no doubt about it but a thanks for the efforts.
Joe Rafferty - 100% offer a new deal, maybe a year with an option and see how he does but think hes quite under rated.
Matt Macey - if hes happy to have another season like the past 6 months then give him another year. No point singing another back up keeper if hes happy to stay.
Sean Raggett - should sentiment play a part? Im not so sure. Fantastic season but hes 4th choice centre back if everyone is fit before we even add to that department. For me its a let go for him as much as the club. Go with the well wishes and love from the fans after a great season.
conner Ogilvie - another year deal with an option, see how he gets on next season.
Ryan schofield - gone
Liam Vincent - gone
Zak Swanson- if theres an option on his contract and he wants to stay then keep, hopefully sort out his injury issues and think between him and rafferty they'll be fine at right back next season.
Joe Morrell- toughest one for me. With a few centre midfielders still in contract and pack no doubt given a new deal. Im just not sure how far up the list morrell would be if we add a couple of central midfielders to the ranks. Guess its going to depend on targets in the summer. Possibly a new deal for me if hes happy to be 3rd or 4th choice central midfielder if everyone is fit.

The last thing we want/need to be doing this summer is releasing 6 or 7 players who have played big parts this season and then need to replace them as well as add others. The team spirit and togetherness from this season with a few new faces will play just as bigger part in hitting the targets for next season.
HJW hasn't shined at a struggling H & W - is about 8th choice midfielder - let go.

Whether Rafferty & Ogilvie would accept one year plus option for another after XX  games is debatable - harsh reality of a step up to Championship level.
Evans- Unsure but probably let go. I think there's a quality player there but he didn't really fit our system.

Pack- Has to stay even if I'm not certain he has the legs for Championship football now. Deserves the chance to test that and maybe take steps to getting him on the coaching staff.

Martin- go

Rafferty- One year deal with further year option

Macey- Let go. I think to keep Steward happy he should be our Number 2 next season. Macey will want first team football

Raggett- Offer him a new deal but be honest about his prospects of first team football. If he leaves he does so with my blessing to get put on silly money at Wrexham or something.

Ogilvie- One year deal with a further year option. Don't have him quite so far forward next season as he has been a bit exposed. Perhaps adapt him to LCB option.

Schofield- Gone

Vincent- Gone

Swanson- Three year deal and first choice at RB.

Morrell- Take the option. We need our Welsh Warlord snapping at heels.
any league one player will snatch a champ level pay off even just for one year, they can always move in January after six months of R&R
The talk is of a big summer of transfer activity which suggests to me that a lot of these players might be offski.
Which talk is that?
(25-04-2024, 07:48 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Which talk is that?

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...er-4605366

Nothing concrete but a lot of talk of bringing in younger players who'll improve over time and wanting to avoid older lads dropping down from the Prem. It does rather look to me like a lot of players will come through the door and so I expect a fair few will go out.
(25-04-2024, 08:51 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]

Nothing concrete but a lot of talk of bringing in younger players who'll improve over time and wanting to avoid older lads dropping down from the Prem. It does rather look to me like a lot of players will come through the door and so I expect a fair few will go out.
Sounds like a sensible strategy to me.

Ta or that, DD.

The way I read that is that we won’t be spunking loads of cash. That’s going to upset a certain percentage of our fanbase. Seems a very sensible plan and one which Sunderland seem to have adopted too.

It’s the way forward for every club.
(26-04-2024, 04:14 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Ta or that, DD.

The way I read that is that we won’t be spunking loads of cash. That’s going to upset a certain percentage of our fanbase. Seems a very sensible plan and one which Sunderland seem to have adopted too.

It’s the way forward for every club.

I think we Will sign some exciting players but we are going to need experience in and around that strategy
That’s a good point, Danny boy.

We already have that in Pack but could probably do with some further experience elsewhere.
Pack is an interesting one. Was allowed to leave Cardiff and come to us and obviously as a local lad has raised his game tremendously. However, (especially as he's not gifted with pace) will he have the same sort of assertiveness in the championship.
(26-04-2024, 11:56 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Pack is an interesting one. Was allowed to leave Cardiff and come to us and obviously as a local lad has raised his game tremendously. However, (especially as he's not gifted with pace) will he have the same sort of assertiveness in the championship.

Pack is a really good player and I don’t think he raised his game ‘tremendously’ when he came here.

Obviously enthusiasm levels are higher if you are playing for your hometown team but that will be the same in the Championship.

I reckon he has a good couple of years in him yet. You get much more time on the ball the higher up the pyramid you get.
Pack is the glue that sticks the squad together and ensures everyone's game is raised on the pitch. He is a major part of that winning mentality and not giving up. It would be lunacy to let him go. 

That being said, there is nothing wrong with bringing in competition for that spot.
(26-04-2024, 11:56 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Pack is an interesting one. Was allowed to leave Cardiff and come to us and obviously as a local lad has raised his game tremendously. However, (especially as he's not gifted with pace) will he have the same sort of assertiveness in the championship.

He's our best central midfielder and we certainly aren't signing two or three better ones this summer. Keep him for this year at least, with a championship quality player alongside him with the legs to keep going all 90mins.
I’m not saying to let him go or that he’s not a good player ( far from it) but iirc there wasn’t a queue of championship clubs coming in for him when his contract expired at Cardiff. He’s been brilliant for us and a tremendous leader on and off the pitch. My query was do we think he’ll still have the same sort of influence etc in the championship as everything is a step or two higher.
(26-04-2024, 12:31 PM)PompeyBlue15 Wrote: [ -> ]

He's our best central midfielder and we certainly aren't signing two or three better ones this summer. Keep him for this year at least, with a championship quality player alongside him with the legs to keep going all 90mins.

I don't think we need to strengthen in midfield at all if we can get Robertson back.  Pack & Morrell are both championship quality in the defensive role, and Robertson & Lowery both championship quality for the more advanced role, and Moxon & Devlin more than adequate backup.  I'd keep HJW as well because despite not pulling up trees at H&W before that he looked to have the potential to play at a higher level, in fact the type of player that was never going to be suited to a non-league relegation fight - that was a bad loan for him. 

Maybe another Anjorin type loan to compete for the no 10 role, but otherwise I think we are well provided for in midfield.
(26-04-2024, 01:12 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-04-2024, 12:31 PM)PompeyBlue15 Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't think we need to strengthen in midfield at all if we can get Robertson back.  Pack & Morrell are both championship quality in the defensive role, and Robertson & Lowery both championship quality for the more advanced role, and Moxon & Devlin more than adequate backup.  I'd keep HJW as well because despite not pulling up trees at H&W before that he looked to have the potential to play at a higher level, in fact the type of player that was never going to be suited to a non-league relegation fight - that was a bad loan for him. 

Maybe another Anjorin type loan to compete for the no 10 role, but otherwise I think we are well provided for in midfield.

Funny you should mention an Anjorin type player as there is an article in the news today about maybe getting him back. He would fit that description lol  Tongue
Looked very good after he came back from injury. Lots of surging runs.
(26-04-2024, 03:04 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Looked very good after he came back from injury. Lots of surging runs.

Yeah, I’ve certainly revised my opinion of him; he looked very good.
Pages: 1 2 3 4