TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Season tickets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone seen any info/prices? I know there is still one game left but just wondering.
Nothing yet as far as I know. Perhaps they will be free as a thank you Smile
I'm expecting £50-£100 increase
I agree. Would seem likely.
I'm expecting up to £100 extra on a senior ticket. That's 33%.
(26-04-2024, 04:39 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]I'm expecting up to £100 extra on a senior ticket. That's 33%.

How much?

How can I afford my new dentures now ffs?  Big Grin
If they increased STs to be the same as pay game by game, how much would that be, for instance?
It will interesting to see if people think there is a marked improvement in the quality we see on the pitch.
We’ve seen various people refer to ‘this awful league’ this season. Well we’ve now escaped it and hopefully any price increase will reflect a marked improvement in the play.
It’s interesting to link this thread to the ‘retained list’ one. If season ticket holders are expected to pay more then shouldn’t they expect an equal percentage increase in performance from the players who will be retained?
(27-04-2024, 05:26 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]It will interesting to see if people think there is a marked improvement in the quality we see on the pitch.
We’ve seen various people refer to ‘this awful league’ this season. Well we’ve now escaped it and hopefully any price increase will reflect a marked improvement in the play.
It’s interesting to link this thread to the ‘retained list’ one. If season ticket holders are expected to pay more then shouldn’t they expect an equal percentage increase in performance from the players who will be retained?

Apart from the fact that such a percentage would be impossible to measure, I think most of us have been satisfied with the level of performance (except on the odd occasion).

The increase in price is justified in that the costs of playing in a higher division are much higher.

If people feel the price is too high they won’t pay it will they?
my worry as we go higher is more sideways and defensive sets ups on the pitch. More than that the TV movements, for some ST holders that will make an ST only gets them along to half the games.
Especially if an early kick off on a weekday is 6pm.Sky will have so many more games to fit in.
£80 increase for early bird, I heard
(27-04-2024, 08:57 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-04-2024, 05:26 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]It will interesting to see if people think there is a marked improvement in the quality we see on the pitch.

Apart from the fact that such a percentage would be impossible to measure, I think most of us have been satisfied with the level of performance (except on the odd occasion).

The increase in price is justified in that the costs of playing in a higher division are much higher.

Totally agree with you but it seems to be the popular opinion that costs in the Championship are largely unsustainable. There has to be a way of gauging what is a realistic value for players wages and fees.
In any other business model, if someone says it’s going to cost this much more, the response would generally be why and what value do I get for my extra money?
Very true and it will be interesting to see the Eisner's strategy.
(27-04-2024, 09:52 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Totally agree with you but it seems to be the popular opinion that costs in the Championship are largely unsustainable. There has to be a way of gauging what is a realistic value for players wages and fees.
In any other business model, if someone says it’s going to cost this much more, the response would generally be why and what value do I get for my extra money?

the extra value is surely a higher class of football to watch ?
(28-04-2024, 09:51 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

is higher class more entertaining?
(28-04-2024, 11:47 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you still talking footie?
(28-04-2024, 11:47 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you still talking footie??
Oh yes, pretty much zero chance of catching an embarrassing infection

But then if we keep the majority of the squad that has just gone up, is it going to be that much higher quality?

If we consistently lost against established championship teams then the answer would be more easily measurable.

It begs questions. 

Should the existing players get a big pay increase? After all, they are doing exactly the same job with the ability they have. If they received a bonus for succeeding, that would seem to be fair.

Why should we suddenly pay millions for players who may not be much better than we already have?

Is there a huge leap in ability between the championship and league 1. Ipswich have just rocketed to the top of the higher division. They were good last year but I don’t remember them being that good. Plymouth, of course, are struggling at the foot of the table.so what have they done differently?
(28-04-2024, 01:22 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

But then if we keep the majority of the squad that has just gone up, is it going to be that much higher quality?

If we consistently lost against established championship teams then the answer would be more easily measurable.

It begs questions. 

Should the existing players get a big pay increase? After all, they are doing exactly the same job with the ability they have. If they received a bonus for succeeding, that would seem to be fair.

Why should we suddenly pay millions for players who may not be much better than we already have?

Is there a huge leap in ability between the championship and league 1. Ipswich have just rocketed to the top of the higher division. They were good last year but I don’t remember them being that good. Plymouth, of course, are struggling at the foot of the table.so what have they done differently?

We have yet to see some of the classy purchases. If they live up to expectations, there should be an improvement.
(28-04-2024, 01:29 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-04-2024, 01:22 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-04-2024, 08:57 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Apart from the fact that such a percentage would be impossible to measure, I think most of us have been satisfied with the level of performance (except on the odd occasion).

It begs questions. 

We have yet to see some of the classy purchases. If they live up to expectations, there should be an improvement.
That doesn’t really answer any of the questions though, does it?
It’s market economy, no one forces anyone to purchase expensive players or massive wages. Like life, it’s a bit of a gamble, sometimes the expensive option is the best sometimes it’s a spectacular failure, you don’t know until you buy. Also sport as an entertainment is a gamble. Of course we want entertainment but it can’t be guaranteed. It’s not like buying a ticket for a particular movie or play in which you can go by the previews before purchasing. I buy a ticket to watch a match, the result/ entertainment/ excitement etc is unknown whether I expect or want it, but unless you buy a ticket you won’t know.

I agree with that and there is no doubt that wages in the Championship have got out of hand.

However, the market rate is the market rate and if you offer under the odds you will not get the better players will you? The only way you could do that is by utilising up and coming youngsters who are willing to accept a lower salary to further their careers.

We may do that but it does make success a lot more difficult.

Some kind of middle ground where we sign some established players and mix them up with promising youngsters would appear to be the way to go.

Whatever you do the costs in the Championship will be higher and we will have to pay more for tickets.

C’est la vie, as our friends from across the channel would say.
The opposition will be of a higher standard, so irrespective of how much we improve the squad or not, we will be watching a better class of football.  Whether that is more entertaining or not is really neither here nor there - you are paying to watch a football match not to be entertained. Any entertainment provided is a bonus. 

The higher up the leagues you go the more you expect to pay, in just the same way that we expected prices to drop as we went down the leagues. 

I reckon we will see ST prices go up by about 20% and if we want to compete at the higher level we should not moan at that.
Pages: 1 2