TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Pompey Squad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Without trying to hi-jack the retained list thread. Who would you keep,transfer,loan or let go from our current professional line up (I haven't included loanees).

Norris - Keep
Macey - Keep unless we can get better
Schofield - Let go
Steward - New contract and loan out
Rafferty - Offer 1 yr deal
Swanson - Keep as squad or loan out
Vincent - Let go
Ogilvie - New contract
Sparkes - Transfer list
Mnonga - Let go
Poole - Keep
McIntyre - Keep
Shaughnessy - Keep
Raggett - Offer 1 yr deal.
Towler - Keep/loan out
Pack - Keep
Moxon - Keep
Evans - New contract
Morrell - Keep
Stevenson - Transfer list
Lowery - Transfer list
Devlin - Keep/Loan out ( no lower than L1)
Jewel-White - Transfer List
Scully - Keep and make decision pre-season or Xmas.
Whyte - Transfer List
Lane - Keep
Lang - Keep
Martin - Let go
Saydee - Keep
Yengi - Keep
Bishop - Keep
My memory of Bobby Campbell's team getting promoted was that the following season we suffered from a lack of pace defensively, we had a great attack.
So individually looks good but might have to make a hard decision or two to bring in some quicker legs.
IMO we definitely need pacey left and right backs, at least 1x No10 and a wide right and wide left player.
Norris - Keep
Macey - Offer 1yr with option of 2nd year
Schofield - Bye
Steward -Offer 2 yr c & loan out (Conference+)
Rafferty - Bye
Swanson - Activate 1yr option
Vincent - Bye
Ogilvie - Bye
Sparkes - Keep (is under contract)
Mnonga - Bye
Poole - Keep
McIntyre - Keep
Shaughnessy - Keep
Raggett - Bye
Towler - Keep
Pack - 1yr contract
Moxon - Keep
Evans - Bye
Morrell - Keep
Stevenson - Invite Offers
Lowery - 1 yr contract with 2nd yr option
Devlin - Keep
Jewett-White - Bye
Scully - Invite Offers
Whyte - Invite Offers
Lane - Keep
Lang - Keep
Martin - Bye
Saydee - Keep
Yengi - Keep
Bishop - Keep
(27-04-2024, 01:56 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]My memory of Bobby Campbell's team getting promoted was that the following season we suffered from a lack of pace defensively, we had a great attack.
So individually looks good but might have to make a hard decision or two to bring in some quicker legs.

You are right Hammie, the Div 3 Champions back 4 of McLaughlin, Aizekwood, Howe & Sullivan just weren't good enough.

I'm sure Moose, Harley & Rehman who were all defenders will realise this & act accordingly ( as harsh as it may seem some our defenders just aren't quick enough for the Championship)
The size and quality of this squad of players is the reason we are champion's, best squad in the league. Hats of to Mousinho for somehow keeping everyone on side. In my opinion we haven’t particularly played exiting football most of the season (Barnsley away first half was the best I thought we played) but we were very resilient in defence and very hard to beat. With the amount of injuries we have had this season the squad has been our saviour where past seasons we always struggled once we had injuries.
Norris - Keep
Macey - Offer 1yr
Schofield - Bye
Steward -Offer 2 yr with option and loan
Rafferty - Bye
Swanson - bye
Vincent - Bye
Ogilvie - 1 year deal with option
Mnonga - Bye
Poole - Keep
McIntyre - Keep
Shaughnessy - Keep
Raggett - Bye
Towler - loan out
Pack - 1yr contract plus option
Moxon - Keep
Evans - Bye
Morrell - Keep
Lowery - bye
Devlin - loan
Jewett-White - Bye
Scully - Invite Offers
Whyte - Invite Offers
Lane - Keep
Lang - Keep
Martin - Bye
Saydee - Keep
Yengi - Keep
Bishop - Keep
The size and quality of this squad of players is the reason we are champion's, best squad in the league. Hats of to Mousinho for somehow keeping everyone on side. In my opinion we haven’t particularly played exiting football most of the season (Barnsley away first half was the best I thought we played) but we were very resilient in defence and very hard to beat. With the amount of injuries we have had this season the squad has been our saviour where past seasons we always struggled once we had injuries.
I'd only keep Macey if Steward is being loaned out again. 

I'd give Rafferty a one year contract, his experience could be vital. 

I'd definitely give Swanson a new contract - he has never let us down and has championship class written all over him. 

Ditto Lowery - he oozes class and I've never seen getting injured as a reason to get rid of a player, past injuries are not always a sign of future injuries. 

I'd keep Jewitt-White - he has a football brain that could take him to the top - maybe find him a league loan though. 

I'd keep Devlin in the squad, his versatility makes him perfect for the bench and he is young enough to improve a lot further. 

And I'd add Saydee to the 'invite offers' list. He's fun to watch but is not a championship player.
(27-04-2024, 02:48 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]The size and quality of this squad of players is the reason we are champion's, best squad in the league. Hats of to Mousinho for somehow keeping everyone on side. In my opinion we haven’t particularly played exiting football most of the season (Barnsley away first half was the best I thought we played) but we were very resilient in defence and very hard to beat. With the amount of injuries we have had this season the squad has been our saviour where past seasons we always struggled once we had injuries.

Certainly the latter part of the season we didn't always play our best football but I thought twice against Northampton we were excellent, the first game especially was unbelievable football from us. I saw one Cobblers fan on twitter as 'Man City in disguise' 

Your point stands though, defensive stability has been the key component. Pack guided us through some tricky games and every injury just seemed like another opportunity for someone else to shine.
(27-04-2024, 02:58 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I'd keep Jewitt-White - he has a football brain that could take him to the top - maybe find him a league loan though. 

Your "love affair" with HJW continues then DB despite only having seen him in  PFC shirt over a year ago.

I saw/him play 4/5 times for H/& W this season - just hasn't got it I'm afraid. Too lightweight & one footed ( turns in circles to get it on his right boot).

Ask any H & W regular supporter & they will say the same. Miles away from being a Championship standard player  - can't afford to be sentimental about "One of our Own".

Anyway we shall see later next week if he is offered a new contract - but I will be shocked of he is.

Oh & Saydee has come on in least & bounds since he played as a Triallist for PFC at H & W in Summer 2022. He has the strength, pace & power to easily make it in the Championship.- just needs to improve  on his finishing
I would like to see Towler get loaned out to a League One side next season. Give him a full season of regular football and it will do him the world of good.
(27-04-2024, 02:34 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Norris - Keep
Macey - Offer 1yr
Schofield - Bye
Steward -Offer 2 yr with option and loan
Rafferty - Bye
Swanson - bye
Vincent - Bye
Ogilvie - 1 year deal with option
Mnonga - Bye
Poole - Keep
McIntyre - Keep
Shaughnessy - Keep
Raggett - Bye
Towler - loan out
Pack - 1yr contract plus option
Moxon - Keep
Evans - Bye
Morrell - Keep
Lowery - bye
Devlin - loan
Jewett-White - Bye
Scully - Invite Offers
Whyte - Invite Offers
Lane - Keep
Lang - Keep
Martin - Bye
Saydee - Keep
Yengi - Keep
Bishop - Keep

So you would only keep 16 players from this squad, 2 of which are keepers. The worse thing we could do this summer is destroy this squad and the togetherness theyve had. That will help us next season straight away. I think the majority will stay and we will add another 6 or 7 players into the squad including loans rather than a huge overhaul.
I agree with Exterminator regarding Saydee. He has definitely improved a lot. He is probably best suited to coming on as a sub. His strength when defenders are tiring makes him very effective. His link-up play has also come on significantly. And while it wouldn't be a reason by itself to keep him, he seems like a player that is very good for team morale - always joking and the rest of the squad really seem to appreciate him.
(27-04-2024, 03:46 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-04-2024, 02:58 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I'd keep Jewitt-White - he has a football brain that could take him to the top - maybe find him a league loan though. 

Your "love affair" with HJW continues then DB despite only having seen him in  PFC shirt over a year ago.

I saw/him play 4/5 times for H/& W this season - just hasn't got it I'm afraid. Too lightweight & one footed ( turns in circles to get it on his right boot).

Ask any H & W regular supporter & they will say the same. Miles away from being a Championship standard player  - can't afford to be sentimental about "One of our Own".

Anyway we shall see later next week if he is offered a new contract - but I will be shocked of he is.

Oh & Saydee has come on in least & bounds since he played as a Triallist for PFC at H & W in Summer 2022. He has the strength, pace & power to easily make it in the Championship.- just needs to improve  on his finishing

I wouldn't describe it as a love affair, but throughout his career at Pompey he has always looked to have that touch that makes a good player.  And I'd back my judgement on that - it doesn't mean he will make it, many good young players don't but with a Pompey shirt on his back he has always performed and IMO he is worth keeping on to see if he can make the breakthrough. 

Personally I would discount his time at H&W because I think he is totally unsuited to that level of football, let alone a relegation battle at that level of football in a very poor team.  Going back to Havant was bad loan for him. 

However, I suspect our promotion, and lack of a development squad, might be bad news for his career at PFC. If so I'd wish him well in his career and not be surprised if he was a success elsewhere like Pack & Ritchie and would not be be surprised if his performances for Wales lead to him finding a decent club .... don't forget it's not that long since it was rumoured Man Utd were watching him (not that I'm suggesting they still are ).
(27-04-2024, 06:19 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I wouldn't describe it as a love affair, but throughout his career at Pompey he has always looked to have that touch that makes a good player.  And I'd back my judgement on that - it doesn't mean he will make it, many good young players don't but with a Pompey shirt on his back he has always performed and IMO he is worth keeping on to see if he can make the breakthrough. 

Personally I would discount his time at H&W because I think he is totally unsuited to that level of football, let alone a relegation battle at that level of football in a very poor team.  Going back to Havant was bad loan for him. 

However, I suspect our promotion, and lack of a development squad, might be bad news for his career at PFC. If so I'd wish him well in his career and not be surprised if he was a success elsewhere like Pack & Ritchie and would not be be surprised if his performances for Wales lead to him finding a decent club .... don't forget it's not that long since it was rumoured Man Utd were watching him (not that I'm suggesting they still are ).

I'll admit he looks neat & tidy on the ball, but he is so one footed for a central midfielder. IIRC when he went on loan to H & W this year he was told by JM that he must start to dominate midfield.

Unfortunately he hasn't progressed physically ( compared to Terry Devlin he is lightweight) & is easily brushed off the ball by more robust midfielders.

A good player should stand out when playing at a lower level - unfortunately HJW didn't!!  Unless he puts a bit of meat on his bones & practices passing & shooting with his woefully weak left foot he will never make it  above League 2. 

Hundreds of players play at U16/17/18 but never make it & I've never seen anything about Man U interest in the past It was probably  similar to Liverpool interest in Sam Magri in the past & he ended up back at H & W for a few years.
(27-04-2024, 06:59 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-04-2024, 06:19 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I'll admit he looks neat & tidy on the ball, but he is so one footed for a central midfielder. IIRC when he went on loan to H & W this year he was told by JM that he must start to dominate midfield.

Unfortunately he hasn't progressed physically ( compared to Terry Devlin he is lightweight) & is easily brushed off the ball by more robust midfielders.

A good player should stand out when playing at a lower level - unfortunately HJW didn't!!  Unless he puts a bit of meat on his bones & practices passing & shooting with his woefully weak left foot he will never make it  above League 2. 

Hundreds of players play at U16/17/18 but never make it & I've never seen anything about Man U interest in the past It was probably  similar to Liverpool interest in Sam Magri in the past & he ended up back at H & W for a few years.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...rs-3435885

https://the72.co.uk/2021/10/28/mancheste...itt-white/

the Man Utd interest was on the back of some good performances for Wales
That was two & a half years ago !!

As we know a lot of these young players show promise but stagnate & fade as soon as they get to senior mens football.

In HJW case he is still very lightweight & hasn't improved his weaker foot. Ok, nothing to suggest he won't improve physically & weaker foot wise in the future but we are talking about players able to compete in the Championship & that for him is years away.
Rumours circulating that only 4 are staying and 10 released out of the ones whose contracts are up.
(29-04-2024, 08:40 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Rumours circulating that only 4 are staying and 10 released out of the ones whose contracts are up.

If so my money would be on Pack, Swanson, Morrell & either Rafferty or Ogilvie.
This is my guess who the 10 will be :-

Schoefield
Vincent
Mnonga
HJW
Raggett
Evans
Martin
Rafferty
Ogilvie
Lowery

Options taken up on Morrell & Swanson.
New contracts offered to Steward, Macey, Pack.

Offers invited for Whyte, Stevenson & possibly Scully depending on what he does in pre-season.
(30-04-2024, 08:55 AM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]This is my guess who the 10 will be :-

Schoefield
Vincent
Mnonga
HJW
Raggett
Evans
Martin
Rafferty
Ogilvie
Lowery

Offers invited for  Whyte, Stevenson  & possibly Scully depending on what he does in pre-season.

Lowery is not on the out of contract list .
(30-04-2024, 10:28 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-04-2024, 08:55 AM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]This is my guess who the 10 will be :-

Schoefield
Vincent
Mnonga
HJW
Raggett
Evans
Martin
Rafferty
Ogilvie
Lowery

Offers invited for  Whyte, Stevenson  & possibly Scully depending on what he does in pre-season.

Lowery is not on the out of contract list .

Ok take Lowery out & put in Macey as one of the 10.
and Steward has already signed a new 2 year contract a few weeks ago so he is not in the mix this week.
Is the confirmation expected today?
Pages: 1 2