TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jacobs’ chance was at 1-0. Raggetti was solid today, Daniels slow
(02-04-2021, 04:15 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]We largely controlled this game after we had taken that 2 goal lead but I was somewhat disappointed by one or two performances i.e. Jacobs was poor and really should have put us three up towards the end of the first half with an open goal. I expected Close to have more influence on the game and he did not impose himself at all.

Jacobs poor ?? 

You must have been watching a different game to me ... I thought he was class and created everything dangerous we produced in the first half.
Everyone put in a good shift but ran out of steam which might be a worry with a game Monday. Some passing going astray.. Naylor maybe more than usual. Williams Curtis Jacobs I thought were excellent. Harness some poor decisions at crucial moments but otherwise decent. Close is knitting things together well and confident on the ball. Raggett silky on the ball!!!!
Another big step forward today. Players tired towards the end but kept going as much as they could.

I can forgive a few stray passes. It's probably a completely new concept to most of them  Tongue . Genuinely though, you could see that passing drill they were practising mid-week being used a fair bit.

Really enjoying watching us play this Cowley style of football. Players and coaches need a lot of credit for how hard they are working to salvage the season.

3 wins on the trot. Absolutely nice.
If only we’d got rid of jackett earlier. Whatever happens now at least we are trying to play proper entertaining football and actually playing to win. Think we should offer the Cowleys a longer tenure before someone else does.
If Only.
It’s a lot nicer on the eye but we don’t seem to create many chances. Fortunately we’ve taken a few of them over the past 3 games.

Raggett is still a hopeless ball watcher but, fair play to him, the passing game seems to help him more as team mates are staying in positions where he can easily find someone. Looks much more confident on the ball. He’d never have tried that ball to Jacobs 2 or 3 weeks ago. His Cruyff turns are almost hallucinogenic.
A fascinating game in which Rochdale played a full part. Two footballing sides made for great viewing and I could watch either of them, quite happily.

I thought the game hinged largely on Harness, today. He could have put the game wel out of sight, if he’d been on form. There was a moment when he clearly showed his frustration with himself. Never gave up trying though and it was still a good ‘off’ day.

Raggetts pass was sublime and he looked far happier on the ball than last week.

Can’t wait to watch the next game.
(03-04-2021, 03:33 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]A fascinating game in which Rochdale played a full part. Two footballing sides made for great viewing and I could watch either of them, quite happily.

I thought the game hinged largely on Harness, today. He could have put the game wel out of sight, if he’d been on form. There was a moment when he clearly showed his frustration with himself. Never gave up trying though and it was still a good ‘off’ day.

Raggetts pass was sublime and he looked far happier on the ball than last week.

Can’t wait to watch the next game.

spot on
ps. can we have a thumbs emoji thingy please
(02-04-2021, 10:43 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]It’s a lot nicer on the eye but we don’t seem to create many chances. Fortunately we’ve taken a few of them over the past 3 games.

Raggett is still a hopeless ball watcher but, fair play to him, the passing game seems to help him more as team mates are staying in positions where he can easily find someone. Looks much more confident on the ball. He’d never have tried that ball to Jacobs 2 or 3 weeks ago. His Cruyff turns are almost hallucinogenic.

Thought we created plenty myself. We could/perhaps should have been 3 up @ ht. Start of the second half we created lots as well. I know we all see things differently but its good that most agree the style is quicker & more expansive than Jacketball.
Watching us play now I find it almost unforgivable that Jackett was kept for so long.

If it down to Eisner it shows he knows absolutely feck all about football.

Harness was very frustrating today but I think the players lack fitness overall. Just about hung on is my view which against the bottom team isn't that great, but at least we won.
Not just the Eisners. It didn't help that thousands of muppets who claim to enjoy football and support Pompey couldn't see that for the past 3-4 seasons they thought Jackett was doing an OK job because
a) We won a shit trophy
b) We made the play-offs twice.
Never mind that we played the most miserable dire football and couldn't win a play off game.
Four years too late IMO,however thanks to the Cowleys I'm really enjoy the game again
(03-04-2021, 08:37 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2021, 10:43 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]It’s a lot nicer on the eye but we don’t seem to create many chances. Fortunately we’ve taken a few of them over the past 3 games.

Thought we created plenty myself. We could/perhaps should have been 3 up @ ht. Start of the second half we created lots as well. I know we all see things differently but its good that most agree the style is quicker & more expansive than Jacketball.

Agree, first half we should have had one or two more.  Second, we had only 2 shots, both off target.  

Just looking at stats over the last 3 games, shots/shots on target are only 8/5, 7/3, 7/3 whereas under Kenny we only had less shots this league season twice, against Hull and MKD (funnily enough we won both, and no SoT against Hull) and generally under Kenny we'd have 2, on occasions 3 times as many shots per game. 

So it looks like the difference in performance is mainly effective more in midfield or at the back, and when we do create a clear chance it's one that's more likely to be put away - more men in the box/in a better shooting position.  

Of course, can't take away from 3 wins in 3.
I think I’m right in saying that Cowley has a far better win percentage than KJ.
The players should be fit enough to play that system for 90 minutes, most certainly for more than 45. There's obviously a difference in skill between League 1 and Premier but physically they should be pretty close to the same level of fitness. The fact they are not is down to the coaching style of the previous management which decided to leave it up to players themselves to look after that side.

Each player should have a tailored programme which is supervised, tested and tweaked on a weekly basis. Expecting the players to go off and sort this themselves was never going to work. They're footballers, not experts in cardio, strength and conditioning.
Just as well Pitman isn’t in the system.

I was knacked after just watching the first half.
Pages: 1 2