TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Strikers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Managed to get thro 2 out 3 games without one & nearly got a late point yesterday. Marquis back for next game & hopefully has his shooting boots on! Is Harrison out for the rest of the  season or are the Play Offs possible if we get there? What about Hiwula returning from injury & when?
Positive post, Mikey!

I’m hoping that the Cowleys can get the best out of Marquis, whatever that is.
Well, we certainly need a fit striker & back up in case he gets injured. Does anyone know the injury situation with Hiwula & Harrison?
After saying all week Raggett had a broken cheekbone, I was surprised to see him start on Saturday.

So when I hear moaning about Marquis having a dodgy ankle, I fully expect to see him start tomorrow night. Tongue

Seems like Danny is trying to take some pressure off Marquis as we are understandably chomping at the bit to see our million quid striker back. Good management imo but I dont believe a word of it lol
(12-04-2021, 09:23 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, we certainly need a fit striker & back up in case he gets injured. Does anyone know the injury situation with Hiwula & Harrison?

Harrison definitely out for the rest of the season, Hiwula has a chance if we make the play-offs and Hackett-Fairchild can't be recalled from loan (at Southend) because it's to the end of the season. Meanwhile Marquis has contrived to pick up an injury to his ankle while not playing!

Apart from that, our striker situation is looking rosey. 
Big Grin
Marquis has apparently being playing with pain killing injections on his ankles for quite a few games. You can't keep doing that for ever without risking a long time out.
I'd rather have Marquis fit for next season than play him for a game or two and see him taken off for an operation that puts him out til Christmas. Or worse, cripple him for when he stops playing.
If he’s not fully fit he really shouldn’t play . It’s not as if he makes much difference and this season is more or less done with the way we are playing I would think.
agreed
Marquis = farkin useless fit or otherwise
maybe useless but our only player to score anywhere near enough for a promotion team
In that case, the midfielders need to start weighing in with more goals & likewise our defenders.
(13-04-2021, 07:33 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]In that case, the midfielders need to start weighing in with more goals & likewise our defenders.

With that I agree. The front 4 should all be getting close to double figures for the system to work. Raggie does well at attacking corners, goals wise, time for Jack to weigh in too. 
Push Close up and he will add a few too.
Seasons 2019/20 and 2020/21 to date Marquis has appeared in 70 league games and scored 22 goals.

Clarke-Harris and Wyke have got 27 and 23 this season alone !

Yates, Wilks and Charles have got 18, 18 and 17 this season !

Currently Marquis lies 9th in L1 scoring chart and cost over a Million, nothing to write home about for me.

Deebo

Interesting. That's different to the stats being banded about on other threads and more in line with the general assessment of the player. Good strikers bring other players into the game, good strikers don't regularly miss sitters, good strikers can hold the ball up to take the pressure off the defence, good strikers can work a defence to make space for others. Stats don't show those abilities which only goes to show you can't judge a player on stats alone.
I’m old fashioned of course (it’s an age thing) but I still like strikers who strike.

Don’t remember how many assists, don’t remember him bringing others in to play BUT I do remember 1992/3 when Guy Whittingham scored 42 Division 1 goals in 46 appearances, now that’s a striker for you 

Of course he had the inestimable Paul Walsh feeding him but he seemed to stick just about every chance that came his way into the back of the net.

Compare with Hawkins, Harrison and Marquis in a lower division, sure they may have done all the other things good strikers allegedly do and they didn’t have quality like Walsh with them but all three remind me of ‘couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo’.
I'm also old fashioned. So I imagine you remember Bill Rafferty and Biley. Two up front, both feeding each other's strengths. I'd just like to see us do that week in week out.
There were some stats that showed we got more points with Harrison in the team. Be it him or another big man, I think lower league teams do better with big man. (Rafferty, Garwood, Hateley.....)
Harrison can't hit a barn door and Marquis rarely passes the ball to another striker.
(14-04-2021, 07:02 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Harrison can't hit a barn door and Marquis rarely passes the ball to another striker.

most strikers don't. But getting first to a rebound or gk fumble is what the quality little guy does best. or running off the ball and making space for the other man to use......
The difference between an out and out striker and centre forward who makes goals rather than scores them was exemplified in the 1966 World Cup (at which I attended all the Wembley games), Alf Ramsey had to choose between Jimmy Greaves - a ‘ Johnny -on- the-spot’ if ever there was one and Roger Hunt more of a ‘work horse’ striker. Sir Alf chose Hunt and Greaves was never quite the same after the World Cup and never really came to terms with his omission.

Sir Alf was lucky in that he had Hurst and Charlton, a potent pair, to back up Hunt and also Peters who could also contribute goals from midfield. The proof of that particular pudding was in the eating when England won the World Cup.

Looking at Pompey, we don’t have a Hurst or Charlton (or any sign of one let alone two) and therefore our main striker needs to get 22-25 league goals or The Cowleys (if they are our managers next season) need acquire a 2 or 3 man strike force who can score the goals next season.

They will need excellent judgement and luck, finding good strikers is one of footballs most difficult tasks and in the lower divisions doubly so, I hope they are successful, it would be great to have a goal-scoring hero once again.
I hope they are successful, it would be great to have a goal-scoring hero once again.
even better a pair!