TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: In the cold light of day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Cowleys must have had it confirmed by the Burton performance that they stand next to no chance of turning this particular sow’s ear of a squad into anything resembling a silk purse !

The time and money wasted by Jackett and Catlin in acquiring the current bunch is astonishing in view of Eisner’s stated reluctance to put his hand into his pocket on behalf of Pompey, what was the recruitment policy (was there was a coherent policy ?)

With perhaps the possible exception of Curtis and McG it’s hard to understand the whys and wherefores of  recruitment over the last few years, too many lightweights incapable of combatting physical sides and without the requisite skills to use guile to overcome brute force and ignorance, non-striking strikers (Harrison - only ever successful in non-league, Hiwula another non scorer in his recent past, Marquis £1+ Million wasted), a surfeit of midfielders who rarely dominate the game, score only sporadically and who can’t pass more than 10 yards without finding the opposition or touch. Taken together, too many poor players and a team that flattered to deceive !

My only current exposure to Championship football is watching Quest on Saturday night but even that is more than enough to point up the inadequacy of our squad should we be promoted (which I still hope we will be). It’s a major rebuild in the summer regardless of what League we are in and whether it’s The Cowleys or some other hopeful who is tasked with taking Pompey forwards.

Perhaps Crewe offers a chance of a little relief, will the Cowleys shake up the team and replace Naylor, Close, Cannon, Harness, Williams or any of the others guilty of woeful performances yesterday or will it be basically the same players who won 4 in a row and who perhaps deserve a shot at redemption.?
(11-04-2021, 06:07 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]The Cowleys must have had it confirmed by the Burton performance that they stand next to no chance of turning this particular sow’s ear of a squad into anything resembling a silk purse !

The time and money wasted by Jackett and Catlin in acquiring the current bunch is astonishing in view of Eisner’s stated reluctance to put his hand into his pocket on behalf of Pompey, what was the recruitment policy (was there was a coherent policy ?)

With perhaps the possible exception of Curtis and McG it’s hard to understand the whys and wherefores of  recruitment over the last few years, too many lightweights incapable of combatting physical sides and without the requisite skills to use guile to overcome brute force and ignorance, non-striking strikers (Harrison - only ever successful in non-league, Hiwula another non scorer in his recent past, Marquis £1+ Million wasted), a surfeit of midfielders who rarely dominate the game, score only sporadically and who can’t pass more than 10 yards without finding the opposition or touch. Taken together, too many poor players and a team that flattered to deceive !

My only current exposure to Championship football is watching Quest on Saturday night but even that is more than enough to point up the inadequacy of our squad should we be promoted (which I still hope we will be). It’s a major rebuild in the summer regardless of what League we are in and whether it’s The Cowleys or some other hopeful who is tasked with taking Pompey forwards.

Perhaps Crewe offers a chance of a little relief, will the Cowleys shake up the team and replace Naylor, Close, Cannon, Harness, Williams or any of the others guilty of woeful performances yesterday or will it be basically the same players who won 4 in a row and who perhaps deserve a shot at redemption.?

Only picking Curtis & McG for exemption of criticism as signings is a bit harsh on Naylor & Johnson & Brown & Cannon, and I would argue on Harness & Williams too (but I know not all would agree).  There were then a batch of what I would OK signings at lge 1 level (|Raggett, Marquis, Harrison) and I can only think of three that have not worked out at all (Downing, Morris and Bolton, although many would rate Bolton higher than that).
(11-04-2021, 06:39 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2021, 06:07 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]The Cowleys must have had it confirmed by the Burton performance that they stand next to no chance of turning this particular sow’s ear of a squad into anything resembling a silk purse !

Only picking Curtis & McG for exemption of criticism as signings is a bit harsh on Naylor & Johnson & Brown & Cannon, and I would argue on Harness & Williams too (but I know not all would agree).  There were then a batch of what I would OK signings at lge 1 level (|Raggett, Marquis, Harrison) and I can only think of three that have not worked out at all (Downing, Morris and Bolton, although many would rate Bolton higher than that).

Depends what you mean about "not worked out" DB The rest have had their moments but not enough times to get us automatically promoted, instead to flop badly in the play offs!!Jackett has to take most of the blame of course, but this group of players also have to take some of the flak. No one on the pitch to think fook this lets get stuck in & have a right go. I dont count Cannon as having worked out either, 2 goals isn't it now? He is a classic example of sometimes but not always & that sums up our squad to a tee.