TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Sell Marquis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Say no more.
if we got a good fee, then that's one way to build a promotion side. Hateley paid for Alan Ball's team pretty much on his own.
Our plan was to buy young, improve and sell. Changing to spending big on two players instead has not really off at all.
Mind you if Harness or Harrision had scored as many goals as Marquis we'd probably be top two.
who the feck would buy him?????
Porchester
(14-04-2021, 10:03 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]who the feck would buy him?????

Whatever we think of him his record makes him one of the best  league one strikers around. There would be plenty of takers. 

He is a bang average striker but I don't get the vitriol  being directed his way from supposedly the best fans in the world.

Get behind him, improve his confidence (like DC is trying to do). We need him to score goals in the next few games. It's not like he has done a Baird and never scored more than once ... his record for us is one goal every 3 games over 90 games. That is not awful.
Well he can’t be a bang average striker because he has consistently scored an above average number of goals for, several seasons.

He just looks average.
He's right up there with the most annoying players we've had. Surely has the ability, certainly has the arrogance, looks dreadful on the pitch, missed bucket loads, but has a decent number of goals even this season. I still think if we had a big presence up front alongside him we would get the best from him. But when all is said and done, maybe it's never going to happen here and we could try to cash in.
(13-04-2021, 07:31 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Hateley paid for Alan Ball's team pretty much on his own.

We wouldn't be able to buy much with the £2.50 we'd get for Marquis though.

Out of interest how much longer is there on his contract?
Bloody certain sure that Marquis is no Hately......not in a million years !
>Whatever we think of him his record makes him one of the best league one strikers around. There would be plenty of takers.<
Lets hope so because stats mean feck all, Jacketts stats were very good- enough said
(13-04-2021, 07:31 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]if we got a good fee, then that's one way to build a promotion side. Hateley paid for Alan Ball's team pretty much on his own.
Our plan was to buy young, improve and sell. Changing to spending big on two players instead has not really off at all.
Mind you if Harness or Harrision had scored as many goals as Marquis we'd probably be top two.

Bobby Campbell's team not Bally's Hammie. That is doing a disservice to the forward players we had @ the club @ the time. Biley, Webb, Rogers. Then of course the mercurial Dillon (who could really take a penalty). Problem with the team of 83/84 was the defence. But we scored plenty.
(14-04-2021, 10:20 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Porchester
I know where Portchester is, but where is the way you spell it moosh ?
Bobby Campbell's team not Bally's Hammie. That is doing a disservice to the forward players we had @ the club @ the time. Biley, Webb, Rogers. Then of course the mercurial Dillon (who could really take a penalty). Problem with the team of 83/84 was the defence. But we scored plenty.
Yes what a very frustrating season that was, bit of a shame that Bobby Campbell was not give a season to sort the problems but then

Hateley. On 28 June 1984 he was transferred to A.C. Milan for £1million.
Bobby Campbell was replaced by former England international and 1966 FIFA World Cup winner, Alan Ball on 11 May 1984.
So I did remember that bit correctly, Ball then spent the transfer fee for Hateley on building the promotion team, as you mentioned improving the defence with Blake, Gilbert et al (and the poor bugger who died of Cancer without playing a game) adding Hilaire, O'Callaghan etc to a good midfield.
(14-04-2021, 06:51 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ](and the poor bugger who died of Cancer without playing a game)

That was Mick Baxter
(14-04-2021, 07:06 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2021, 06:51 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ](and the poor bugger who died of Cancer without playing a game)

That was Mick Baxter

sorry i could not remember him, he deserves better.
(14-04-2021, 06:51 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Bobby Campbell's team not Bally's Hammie. That is doing a disservice to the forward players we had @ the club @ the time. Biley, Webb, Rogers. Then of course the mercurial Dillon (who could really take a penalty). Problem with the team of 83/84 was the defence. But we scored plenty.
Yes what a very frustrating season that was, bit of a shame that Bobby Campbell was not give a season to sort the problems but then

Bobby Campbell was replaced by former England international and 1966 FIFA World Cup winner, Alan Ball on 11 May 1984.
So I did remember that bit correctly, Ball then spent the transfer fee for Hateley on building the promotion team, as you mentioned improving the defence with Blake, Gilbert et al (and the poor bugger who died of Cancer without playing a game) adding Hilaire, O'Callaghan etc to a good midfield.

LOL Hammie. Sorry Moosh, my bad. I've completely mis-read your post.(specsavers here I come) Hateley scored 25, Biley 18, Dillon, 12, Webb 11, Morgan 10. (Source PompeyRama)
We really did have some serious fire power-the stat was we scored more than Sheff Wed who were Champs. But we leaked like a sieve @ the other end sadly. A step too far for Baz Aizelwood, Colin Sullivan & John McLaughlin in particular.
Hateley was a stupendous player. As you rightly said the money enabled a complete rebuild of the defence, shame about the cock up choosing McGarvey over Mark Hughes up top mind.
(14-04-2021, 08:40 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2021, 06:51 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Bobby Campbell's team not Bally's Hammie. That is doing a disservice to the forward players we had @ the club @ the time. Biley, Webb, Rogers. Then of course the mercurial Dillon (who could really take a penalty). Problem with the team of 83/84 was the defence. But we scored plenty.

LOL Hammie. Sorry Moosh, my bad. I've completely mis-read your post.(specsavers here I come)  Hateley scored 25, Biley 18, Dillon, 12, Webb 11, Morgan 10. (Source PompeyRama)
We really did have some serious fire power-the stat was we scored more than Sheff Wed who were Champs. But we leaked like a sieve @ the other end sadly. A step too far for Baz Aizelwood, Colin Sullivan & John McLaughlin in particular.
Hateley was a stupendous player. As you rightly said the money enabled a complete rebuild of the defence, shame about the cock up choosing McGarvey over Mark Hughes up top mind.
no worries it feels like a lifetime ago. But the Bobby Campbell's team and then AB are what I grew up with and although Harry's team was wonderful, those 5 or 6 seasons are my real memory of Pompey.
(14-04-2021, 03:49 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-04-2021, 07:31 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]if we got a good fee, then that's one way to build a promotion side. Hateley paid for Alan Ball's team pretty much on his own.

Didn’t Dillon miss five pens when we were in the old first div?
(14-04-2021, 10:20 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Porchester

Spot on.
(14-04-2021, 09:53 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2021, 03:49 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Didn’t Dillon miss five pens when we were in the old first div?

Not as far as I recall? I remember him missing one v Arsenal in a home game in 87/88 season. Thats about it?
Dillon really highlights the difference a good bit of business in January can make. Probably the main reason we have not got promoted has been the team not improving or even being weakened by January business in the last few seasons.